Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

I'm just going to just leave this here.

I like Captain drone videos a lot. He does a lot of testing with drones. I flew the Evo in 14F and same message appear on the screen but it can fly without issues.

I like Captain drone videos a lot. He does a lot of testing with drones. I flew the Evo in 14F and same message appear on the screen but it can fly without issues.
I would be panicking. The way LiPos work, the reaction inside the batteries slows down and your drone can fall off the sky with a "full" battery.

Reactions: macoman
I would be panicking. The way LiPos work, the reaction inside the batteries slows down and your drone can fall off the sky with a "full" battery.
It can happen but remember we are flying an expensive drone and the electronics inside are more sofisticaded than a $200 dollars drone. In fact I will be more nervous flying a cheap drone than an expensive one in the cold.

Reactions: Ansia
It's really not as bad as you would think. I have been pretty impressed with all manufacturer batteries so far. Heat them before flight and away you go. Maybe I've been lucky but flying below freezing is 50% of my flying.

It's really not as bad as you would think. I have been pretty impressed with all manufacturer batteries so far. Heat them before flight and away you go. Maybe I've been lucky but flying below freezing is 50% of my flying.
Never flown in cold weather. I just talk from the experiences of others. Perhaps one day I will try it myself.

Never flown in cold weather. I just talk from the experiences of others. Perhaps one day I will try it myself.
Try in a weather of 25F to 30F. It is cold but not that bad, the Evo can handle without issues.

Cold weather is not half as bad as very hot weather. In the cold you can keep your batteries warm until you need them. Once flying they tend to stay fairly warm, warm enough not to get any warnings. On very cold days you can tape up vents that allow cold air to get in. I used to do this on my XSP during cold winter flights. Now for people who live in places like Arizona where daytime temps can get over 120-130 degrees "F" you guys are screwed. Nothing worse then cooking your flight control boards from over heating. One of the guys I know would not fly after noon hour as it just got way to hot.

Cold weather is not half as bad as very hot weather. In the cold you can keep your batteries warm until you need them. Once flying they tend to stay fairly warm, warm enough not to get any warnings. On very cold days you can tape up vents that allow cold air to get in. I used to do this on my XSP during cold winter flights. Now for people who live in places like Arizona where daytime temps can get over 120-130 degrees "F" you guys are screwed. Nothing worse then cooking your flight control boards from over heating. One of the guys I know would not fly after noon hour as it just got way to hot.
Doesn't the XSP have an internal fan?

It can happen but remember we are flying an expensive drone and the electronics inside are more sofisticaded than a $200 dollars drone. In fact I will be more nervous flying a cheap drone than an expensive one in the cold.
The Inspire 2 batteries have a "self warming" feature that bring the batteries up to their optimum temp. I don't believe the Evo's batteries can do this. The electronics in the drone is not really as much the topic "will it fly in the cold" as much as "will the battery perform well in the cold." Lipo batteries can be pretty tricky in their own sense. They can go bad if just one of the cells exceed the voltage of the other cells. In other RC hobbies, a balanced charger is required to make sure that each cell is charged at the same rate, so they can discharge at the same rate too. If the battery becomes damaged, the cells might discharge at different rates. This instability can and has caused lithium gas and fire to erupt from the battery without much warning. EDIT: Most of these consumer drones have smart chargers anyway, so this problem is sort of mitigated.

Blah blah blah lol. But basically, the drone electronics themselves don't necessarily need to "warm up" nearly as much as the batteries need to remain "warm".

Last edited:
The Inspire 2 batteries have a "self warming" feature that bring the batteries up to their optimum temp. I don't believe the Evo's batteries can do this. The electronics in the drone is not really as much the topic "will it fly in the cold" as much as "will the battery perform well in the cold." Lipo batteries can be pretty tricky in their own sense. They can go bad if just one of the cells exceed the voltage of the other cells. In other RC hobbies, a balanced charger is required to make sure that each cell is charged at the same rate, so they can discharge at the same rate too. If the battery becomes damaged, the cells might discharge at different rates. This instability can and has caused lithium gas and fire to erupt from the battery without much warning.

Blah blah blah lol. But basically, the drone electronics themselves don't necessarily need to "warm up" nearly as much as the batteries need to remain "warm".
When I mentioned the electronics inside I mean inside of the smart battery. A $200 dollars drone non DJI don't have the same sophistication in their battery to analyze if it's cold or warm. But I agreed with you.

Yeah, I forgot about the vents as you and others mentioned. Suppose keeping "all internals" in the desired temperature spec makes these fly :)

Reactions: macoman
Mine had been in a freezing car for a couple days and when I started I got the warning about the low temp batteries. So I just took off and hovered for a couple minutes and the warning went away and it flew normal.

The batteries will normally warm un, but starting with cold batteries could throw them off balance and have them fail after a few minutes of flight, not so hard token them in an insulated bag or even in your inner jacket pocket so they are at least close to you body temp. Of course it defeats the purpose if you put your EVO over ice and take a half hour to get started. Install the battery when you are ready to power up after all other pre flight checks!

The batteries will normally warm un, but starting with cold batteries could throw them off balance and have them fail after a few minutes of flight, not so hard token them in an insulated bag or even in your inner jacket pocket so they are at least close to you body temp. Of course it defeats the purpose if you put your EVO over ice and take a half hour to get started. Install the battery when you are ready to power up after all other pre flight checks!
Good to know! I won't risk that again.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials