Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

I need to know why they changed CAMERA/GIMBAL on the Evo?

SilverDragon

Reaction score
Ok this is the issue, my dilemma, it's me not feeling right about this. I did a warranty exchange on the Evo. I recieved a new in the box Old stock.the camera on it is the first version camera/gimbal that were used when the EVO first came out. Question Time....

#1 Why did Autel change the camera/gimbal in the first place?
#2 Should I be concerned about it. (Keep in mind, the camera that I originally had was the newer version they sent me a NIB old stock.
#3 Am I worrying about this for nothing ??? Granted, I only had this exchanged drone for 2 days now and it seems to be working ok as of now.

#1 most likely cost related. It is cheaper to make a flat piece of plastic, than a curved one.

#2 Not really. They will perform exacly the same. That is simply a plastic cover.

#3 You are. All drones (even identical ones) behave slightly different from one another, but as long as iy is within parameters. You are good to go.

#1 most likely cost related. It is cheaper to make a flat piece of plastic, than a curved one.

#2 Not really. They will perform exacly the same. That is simply a plastic cover.

#3 You are. All drones (even identical ones) behave slightly different from one another, but as long as iy is within parameters. You are good to go.
Wow, it's amazing how asking a few question and getting honest answers sure makes one feel better knowing the camera is the same and it's just a piece of plastic with the same purpose but a different shape...thanks

Reactions: Ansia
Ok I hate to raise this again, but which one do you consider Old vs New? I still think there's a lot of confusion about that (me included). I'd love to see a definitive answer on which one is old and which one is new. See this thread Another New EVO Question....

LP

LOL... @Ansia I agree it looks classier. I'm just not sure it's the newer one given the screenshots of it from August of last year. That's why I was curious which one the OP got as a replacement.

LP

The one on the right is the one they sent me. But it's all ok... the cameras horizon is straight. It works much better than the one I sent in for exchange.im happy...

The one on the right is the one they sent me. But it's all ok... the cameras horizon is straight. It works much better than the one I sent in for exchange.im happy...

Yeah - we're not sure which one is really the newer version....so as long as it works right, just enjoy it!

LP

I purchased my EVO when it first came out and my gimbal looks exactly like the one you are calling "new" I think you have them mixed up. The one you marked as Old looks like a better more finished version to me.

I emailed Autel the picture. It would seem one is just a product picture they use for advertising and all cameras are the same. One picture is just all polished up to look nice according to Autel.

"Thanks for contacting us! There is only one current version of the Evo and they all come with the same camera. One photo is a product photo and the other is a regular camera photo making them look different from each other even though they're the same drone. "

I emailed Autel the picture. It would seem one is just a product picture they use for advertising and all cameras are the same. One picture is just all polished up to look nice according to Autel.

"Thanks for contacting us! There is only one current version of the Evo and they all come with the same camera. One photo is a product photo and the other is a regular camera photo making them look different from each other even though they're the same drone. "

I beg to differ.... If you look a that thread I referenced, I took screenshots of the drones flying from youtube reviewers - and they look like the one on the left. Mine absolutely looks like the one on the right. Simply put, Autel Customer Support is wrong.

That said, they did say that there is only one 'current' version.....the key being the word 'current'.

LP

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I saw no point in arguing with the guy so I did not reply but if you want to go a head
Let us know how you make out ? ;)o_O

I agree...I see no point in arguing. Every time I've contacted them so far it's taken me a lot of pushing and prodding to finally get them to actually do their homework and find out I was right. It may sound a bit pompous, but it takes work to get past the 'if the customer asks this, say that' cheat sheet you have to deal with for EVERY customer service dept.

LP

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I guess there is one way to find out what is the new version vs old version. For the ones that bought the EVO when they first came out. If the first release has a flat sideplatet
I beg to differ.... If you look a that thread I referenced, I took screenshots of the drones flying from youtube reviewers - and they look like the one on the left. Mine absolutely looks like the one on the right. Simply put, Autel Customer Support is wrong.

That said, they did say that there is only one 'current' version.....the key being the word 'current'.

LP
I agree, because I had both versions. The drone that I sent back had the NEW Version camera and the drone they sent me has the camera shown on the right in the picture. Granted I had a lot of problems with the new version.

#1 When the camera resets the lens would go spastic, it does a rock back and forth motion but may do it for up to 5 seconds then stops. At a normal reset, it rocks back and forth 2 times, a second if that....
#2 I could not get it to pass a gimbal calibration 98% of the time ( I would get a Camera movement error even though the drone was rock steady.)
#3 I would have to manually change the camera Roll and Yaw just about every flight just to get a good level horizon .
#4 This has nothing to do with the camera/gimbal...The drone did not pass a compass calibration 99% of the time. No matter if I went into a cow pasture away from anything metallic. One day I dedicated myself to drive around to place that I knew there wasn't anything metallic (But it failed)

Read: #1 was an NIB, out of the box issue
#2 happened after a warranty repair ( upper/top shell replacement)
#3 happened after the warranty also ( same upper/top replacement)
#4 was also a NIB, out of the box issue

I agree...I see no point in arguing. Every time I've contacted them so far it's taken me a lot of pushing and prodding to finally get them to actually do their homework and find out I was right. It may sound a bit pompous, but it takes work to get past the 'if the customer asks this, say that' cheat sheet you have to deal with for EVERY customer service dept.

LP

I actually took this a little further with a follow up email asking them to review this post which they seemed to do and here is their response.

"Those are the exact same gimbals in both pictures, it seems like the discussion in the forum post pertained to the plastic protective sticker that is on Evo out of the box. The Evo has had the same camera on it since release and will continue to have that same camera for the rest of its life span.

If you have any more questions or concerns please let me know!

Best,

Alejandro R.
Customer Support
AUTEL ROBOTICS USA LLC"

What is Autels rep talking about? What protective plastic sticker? we are talking about the side plates. There are 2 different side plates. Why can't they or he get the question answered.

What is Autels rep talking about? What protective plastic sticker? we are talking about the side plates. There are 2 different side plates. Why can't they or he get the question answered.
That is exacly what Alejandro was talking about. He just used a different word to describe the same thing.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ranga