Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

HyperLapse Help

surenmunoo

Reaction score
Can someone please advise as to why when the drone is doing a time lapse or hyper lapse that the camera shakes so bad. There was no wind at all when doing this. When the drone is flying the shakes is not bad but when its still and shooting its like the camera twitches every time it shoots a picture. I had taken the first drone back and the replacement is doing the same thing. The first video below is before I tried to fix it in post and the second is stabilising the heck out of it but the second half the shake is very noticeable.

Can someone please advise as to why when the drone is doing a time lapse or hyper lapse that the camera shakes so bad. There was no wind at all when doing this. When the drone is flying the shakes is not bad but when its still and shooting its like the camera twitches every time it shoots a picture. I had taken the first drone back and the replacement is doing the same thing. The first video below is before I tried to fix it in post and the second is stabilising the heck out of it but the second half the shake is very noticeable.

I beg to differ that there was no wind at all......there may have been no wind at ground level but if there truly was no wind then the clouds would not have moved. At 200' AGL or whatever altitude you shot at it is very possible that there was in fact a strong wind and the Lite is so tiny the slightest wind would impact it in a big way.

Everything I saw in the timelapse looked to me to be typical wind problems, a better test would be to try shooting a timelapse about 10' off of the ground on a truly windless day to see if the side to side motion is gone or even indoors if you have somewhere it can hover with a GPS lock.

Timelapses, hyperlapses, and slow shutter speeds are pushing the absolute limit of what these drone cameras can do on a drone platform in the air and the smaller the drone the bigger the effect wind will have. I personally am not a fan of drone hyperlapses and timelapses for this very reason; it is very difficult to get the stability needed to make a high quality one with a drone. On the ground you use a heavy tripod, locked down camera, and remote release all to keep the camera perfectly still.....in the air you have none of that.

In the first video I noticed it seemed to stutter as the hyperlapse moved forward, how are you compiling the hyperlapse? Are you doing it in camera or in your post processing software? If you are doing it in camera you would probably get better results generating RAWs and post processing them as a timelapse in your NLE at 30FPS.

I beg to differ that there was no wind at all......there may have been no wind at ground level but if there truly was no wind then the clouds would not have moved. At 200' AGL or whatever altitude you shot at it is very possible that there was in fact a strong wind and the Lite is so tiny the slightest wind would impact it in a big way.

Everything I saw in the timelapse looked to me to be typical wind problems, a better test would be to try shooting a timelapse about 10' off of the ground on a truly windless day to see if the side to side motion is gone or even indoors if you have somewhere it can hover with a GPS lock.

Timelapses, hyperlapses, and slow shutter speeds are pushing the absolute limit of what these drone cameras can do on a drone platform in the air and the smaller the drone the bigger the effect wind will have. I personally am not a fan of drone hyperlapses and timelapses for this very reason; it is very difficult to get the stability needed to make a high quality one with a drone. On the ground you use a heavy tripod, locked down camera, and remote release all to keep the camera perfectly still.....in the air you have none of that.

In the first video I noticed it seemed to stutter as the hyperlapse moved forward, how are you compiling the hyperlapse? Are you doing it in camera or in your post processing software? If you are doing it in camera you would probably get better results generating RAWs and post processing them as a timelapse in your NLE at 30FPS.
I agree that at 200agl there might be winds. The drone was flying at 50 meters. There might have been a slight breeze but that would be all at that height, strong winds ,not-not even the trees were shaking at the tallest of them. There was no wind to cause that type of camera movement. This seems that every time the shutter opened and closed the camera shook. The Sky app allows to save a hyperlapse in either video, jpeg or raw. I saved this in video mode as it saves the time to edit and having to put all this together. The drone was/ is advertised as a drone to just take out and shoot with no editing required hence i added this to my arsenal of Dji drones. The drone has a level 7 wind resistance rating, is a very few mm smaller than my Mavic 3 and is almost the same weight. I will try genrating the raw files and converting them to hyperlapse but would prefer that it actually works as advertised without me having to change things.

I agree that at 200agl there might be winds. The drone was flying at 50 meters. There might have been a slight breeze but that would be all at that height, strong winds ,not-not even the trees were shaking at the tallest of them. There was no wind to cause that type of camera movement. This seems that every time the shutter opened and closed the camera shook. The Sky app allows to save a hyperlapse in either video, jpeg or raw. I saved this in video mode as it saves the time to edit and having to put all this together. The drone was/ is advertised as a drone to just take out and shoot with no editing required hence i added this to my arsenal of Dji drones. The drone has a level 7 wind resistance rating, is a very few mm smaller than my Mavic 3 and is almost the same weight. I will try genrating the raw files and converting them to hyperlapse but would prefer that it actually works as advertised without me having to change things.

I think its going to be really hard to get the stability you are looking for in such a small drone, have you noticed this behavior when taking regular pictures or video?

I think its going to be really hard to get the stability you are looking for in such a small drone, have you noticed this behavior when taking regular pictures or video?
Nope, taking videos and photos are good, even when doing a hyper lapse while moving at 3.6km/h gives very less jerkiness its only time-lapse that gives the issues

Are you referring to the yaw, side to side movement that starts at about 0:43 in the video where camera poi/pov changes? Wind could be a good guess, however, have shot hyperlapse in 15-25+ MPH winds and dont see what you are getting there (e.g. where the poi/pov changes).

Even if surface was calm and at altitude was 15-20MPH+ typically you wont see yawing like that and change of poi/pov. What you would more likely see is the camera / aircraft poi/pov centered, while the aircraft moves up/down, left right bobbing in the wind. You would see more movement outward from the center as camera tries to stay fixed on center.

Your clips looks to have camera hunting or looking for something, more like when you have low light, trying to autofocus, or have seen before signs of gimbal issue needing calibration, or repair due to drift (have a P4P that has done that). With the drift issue, aircraft stays fixed, however gimbal will drift side to side.

To put the above into perspective (other than the camera/gimbalHere are two examples via E2P

first snow/ice karting was a very calm day, no movement per say:

second, evening, windy, note flag in background on the right (winds were gusting about 26MPH from the side (e.g. left to right).

Btw, I use UAVforcast which has wind profiles for ground and various altitudes including reg and gusts for your location or elsewhere. The free version shows 24 hour forecast, paid version is seven day forecast, great tool to have and use.

Are you referring to the yaw, side to side movement that starts at about 0:43 in the video where camera poi/pov changes? Wind could be a good guess, however, have shot hyperlapse in 15-25+ MPH winds and dont see what you are getting there (e.g. where the poi/pov changes).

Even if surface was calm and at altitude was 15-20MPH+ typically you wont see yawing like that and change of poi/pov. What you would more likely see is the camera / aircraft poi/pov centered, while the aircraft moves up/down, left right bobbing in the wind. You would see more movement outward from the center as camera tries to stay fixed on center.

Your clips looks to have camera hunting or looking for something, more like when you have low light, trying to autofocus, or have seen before signs of gimbal issue needing calibration, or repair due to drift (have a P4P that has done that). With the drift issue, aircraft stays fixed, however gimbal will drift side to side.

To put the above into perspective (other than the camera/gimbalHere are two examples via E2P

first snow/ice karting was a very calm day, no movement per say:

second, evening, windy, note flag in background on the right (winds were gusting about 26MPH from the side (e.g. left to right).

Btw, I use UAVforcast which has wind profiles for ground and various altitudes including reg and gusts for your location or elsewhere. The free version shows 24 hour forecast, paid version is seven day forecast, great tool to have and use.
Thanks, The sunset part the drone was still and did not move for that whole duration, there ws no wind enough to cause the camera movement like it was doing. I also use UAV but did not need to that day because it was dead still and I only had the drone like 50 meters up.

Thanks, The sunset part the drone was still and did not move for that whole duration, there ws no wind enough to cause the camera movement like it was doing. I also use UAV but did not need to that day because it was dead still and I only had the drone like 50 meters up.
No worries, from what I saw and have experienced, your issue was not wind related. Have you been able to repeat? have you tried gimbal, imu, compass calibration?

No worries, from what I saw and have experienced, your issue was not wind related. Have you been able to repeat? have you tried gimbal, imu, compass calibration?
I have done a gimbal calibration. Will try a do the same type flight again and see if it happens.

Reactions: gschulzuio
I did a timelapse today with the Lite + and it was hopping around like a bunny. Hardly any wind. While my Mavic 3 is the most stable I've ever used for Timelapse this is the worse by far and unusable.

I did a timelapse today with the Lite + and it was hopping around like a bunny. Hardly any wind. While my Mavic 3 is the most stable I've ever used for Timelapse this is the worse by far and unusable.
Thats what I have been telling Autel, the camera shake is very bad when doing HyperLapses but normal video is good. I even sent them the proof and then getting no response from them like I must just keep a faulty drone. Even the dealer said I must wait till Autel is back after Chinese New Years.

At this point if the lite+ could do stable Timelapse’s I’d consider dumping my M3.

Have you tried flying into wind and start panning the camera upwards? I get Gimbal errors when i do that and get props in my videos.
Not yet. I have a lot more exploring to do. I know the speed thing is bad even into a 4 mph headwind.

Reactions: surenmunoo

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials