Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

How to pull videos off EVO onto Mac OS Mojave

BillHillyJive

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of how to cable the EVO to a mac with USB and pull the videos off without pulling the micro card out? I turn on the drone and cable it in USB but no external drive shows up. I've tried plugging and unplugging and other USB ports but no joy.

Thanks for any help as getting that card out is not fun!

I have a MacPro computer and usually take the sd card and put it into an USB adapter. You can find it in eBay or Amazon.IMG_20190201_181655583~2.jpeg

Does anyone have experience of how to cable the EVO to a mac with USB and pull the videos off without pulling the micro card out? I turn on the drone and cable it in USB but no external drive shows up. I've tried plugging and unplugging and other USB ports but no joy.

Thanks for any help as getting that card out is not fun!
I do believe that port is used by Autel to diagnose things. It's not meant to transfer anything from the micro sd card.

I just looked it up and what I said is true for the XSP. The usb port (regular size one) is for service and repair and not for transferring files.

The Micro USB on the camera for the XSP is the one that will transfer media. When the craft is turned on and connected through this port to a computer it shows as MTB USB Device.

Reactions: Tufargon
The Micro USB on the camera for the XSP is the one that will transfer media. When the craft is turned on and connected through this port to a computer it shows as MTB USB Device.
Correct, I was assuming OP meant the larger regular size one like on the XSP.

Reading through a USB cable is a pretty common problem on a Mac with larger size cards. I think it has to do with being formatted as FAT 32. It will not show up as a drive (card) on a Mac. Some say using a usb hub to the Mac, connect the EVO to the Hub and it should work. Not tested by me but just something I have read.

Screenshot 2019-02-01 20.49.jpg

I asked Autel support about this same issue couple of months ago as I'm a Mac user, too. Below is a paste of the response I got:

"Thank you for reaching out to us! Unfortunately for some reason the way that Apple computers read the EVO is as a device, but doesn't recognize the fact that it has pictures or videos on the SD card for some reason. I do apologize about that. As a Mac user myself, I know the feeling all too well. I've asked my dev team to look into it, but they did tell me that they believe it has to do with how Apple computers read certain USB connections. For some reason that mode of transporting the media files only work on a PC. I do apologize about that! Do you have any other questions I might be able to help answer?"

Has this been fixed? I have a Mac and this issue is driving me crazy. If the snooty Frenchmen can figure out how to have image and video files show up on a Mac with a direct cable (Beebop via Image Capture), I'm sure Autel can to... if they wanted to. This line copied from a support response gives me the impression that Autel does not find this issue to be worth fixing.... "I do apologize about that! Do you have any other questions I might be able to help answer?" ...Seriously?

I also have a MAC and to my knowledge its not been fixed. I pull out the SD card and stick it in my Mac. Also, I'm sick of companies using the stupid played out phrase " Thanks for reaching out" !

It's not that difficult to pull the card out and put it in the computer. Not sure why this is such an aggravation to some. This is the way I do it every time.

Whats aggravating to me is autel giving us cables and providing a digram showing how to transfer files--- and then it doesn't work !
Just saying, but if that's all you have to worry about then you are wasting your time. Autel makes a lot of promises and us old time owners of a previous model know. You still have it good.

What I find amazing that even this far down the road with the whole Apple/IOS and PC/Android "thing" is that when this kind of "incompatibility" comes up, most will jump on the device maker/product (Autel in this instance) instead of jumping all over Apple and it's way of doing things. What I mean is that Apple locks down their stuff to keep it all "in the family" and add to "security" and so they continue to get a piece ($'s) of all the apps and the required hardware that pops up as eventually needed. This has a few big pros as far as hardware/software compatibility and keeping it all the same but the biggest con is these incompatibility issues...Autel kind of snubbed its nose at Apple by not even including a lightning connector in the box so it should be no surprise that they (Autel) wouldn't be concentrating on Apple as it's primary phone/device operating system.

Sounds like a driver problem for Apple. Windows computers load several drivers for com ports, serial ports and enumerate the Evo as an MTP and a Video Camera device when attached to the computer.

Some research on the part numbers I have done on my Evo indicate this USB port on the Evo is attached to a Cypress USB based board that is crammed with all the IC's/sensors that make up the Evo with Samsung memory.

I am not sure exactly what Cypress Embedded product I am pinging here ... EZ-USB, FX2 or what.

Here's a link to their line-up that I found:

https://www.cypress.com/products/universal-serial-bus-usb#tab3

I think compiling a driver would be possible. This line of products can be developed using Windows, Mac or Linux environments - using the respective software SDK's from Cypress -- for example.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/usb-serial-software-development-kit

So if there are various SDK's -- I am sure the source to a driver may be obtainable? I see reference more towards Linux here, but Macintosh and Linux drivers have to be compiled usually -- so I see someone say use FX3 drivers here mentioning making for Linux :

https://community.cypress.com/docs/DOC-9416

So I find the FX3 SDK - and viola! There is an SDK for Windows, Mac and Linux...

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-usb-fx3-software-development-kit

The manuals can be found there too.

Maybe someone just needs to whip out their skills and offer up a driver based on CyUSB3.inf and CyUSB3.sys in the Windows environment ported to the Mac OS.

Personally It just dawned on me you could plug the Evo in for "data" transfer. It is only USB 2.0, so you would benefit here by still pulling the SD card out and using a USB 3.0 reader.

I can confirm, the current clean/updated install of Linux Mint - see's the Evo just like Windows.

I was actually surprised here -- as I transferred a video from the Evo's SD card without issue!

This PC has a built in card reader that doesn't seem to have very good Linux support. So I have a similar problem going on but with the PC's card reader... not the Evo's. When I put an SD card in the PC in Linux, and try to copy a file -- it stalls and crashes out. So now I have a way to get files into this Linux install -- if needed.

I read someones prior post about possible hooking up to a USB hub between your Evo and Mac -- but they had not attempted. This may have to do with an FTDI chip? possible on USB bus in the Evo not having direct USB support?

At either rate -- it seems weird Apple is lacking these firmware or libraries needed to get Mac users up and running.

To their defense -- when you plug the Evo in -- it is addressing the machine with a multitude of "capabilities' and or USB id's "VID/PID's"

In my linux dmesg output -- I seen it address a USB hub, camera, and other myriad of things like mentioned in my previous post about Apple drivers -- when suspecting of course the USB controller or HUB needed a driver compiled for Mac OS.

If anyone knowledgeable is interested in my dmesg output -- let me know. :cool:

If you must do it this way, install windows on your Mac and it's done

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy