Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

how to post video , when you violate the FAA rules?

I disagree, we’re not talking about being an emergency vehicle racing to a scene but rather getting close to the scene to get the footage you need and getting out. There is nothing wrong with free lancing, it’s a way of earning a living.
I think the point is if there is a need for air ambulance and you have a drone up in the air it could delay the response time if the helicopter has to wait for you to clear the area. Its always best to ask the first res-ponders if it is OK.

I agree with Agustine's point, but being a responsible pilot one should always be aware of their surroundings (Location)
In our area we very seldom have any helicopter activity !
So if a pilot chooses to fly to a scene to film, and knows no aircraft will probably be around, it would be safe to fly.
I would think that if a helicopter would be dispatched, with the noise they make, there would be plenty of time to leave the scene,
have an emergency escape path planned before the flight.

My concern with this kind of scenario is there a medivac on the scene or is one coming. This is why I said get permission first. This has been discussed to death in the UAV law groups many times. Here is just one very good way to handle it.

The pilot was told by the Fire Chief to land his drone at a scene of a accident and he was ticked off so he wanted to know his rights. Here is one answer.

Since you asked for our perspective, I'll share mine. In my experience with local FAA folks, the biggest issue they would have had was operating your UAS at a location where a medical helicopter was involved in the operation. It was wise to only fly when the helicopter was on the ground but unless that helicopter were parked there for the night - and we know it wasn't given its mission - they would probably tell you it wasn't the most responsible thing to do given the circumstances. If you or your visual observer is spending half your attention checking on whether the helicopter is about to take off again, it would seem that fact also created a distraction for your UAS operation and begs the question, "Should I even be doing this??". I, personally, would not have flown in this scenario. We all have rights but we are also all ambassadors for this technology. If the incident commander (fire chief in this case) didn't desire to have me in the skies over his situation, I wouldn't fly because it's a black eye for UAS. If flying these types of missions is something that I really wanted to do, I'd reach out to local fire chiefs and create relationships in your area - educate them and show them how your low altitude perspective could help. One has to wonder now if that fire chief won't at some point talk to someone at city council and start the conversation, "When are we going to do something about these drones?" - a few weeks or months later, an ordinance appears at your city council. You don't realize this so you don't show up at the meeting. The ordinance gets passed and next time, the fire chief is citing the new "law" in city X. Think of the big picture...because the big picture can and has come back to hurt all of us flying this technology.

Reactions: Ansia
I advice you against it. If the LEO decides you are impeding a rescue mission, you will have a lot of problems in your hands.
If your deliberately flying over emergency vehicles. I can see it being an issue. But im pretty sure by law. If you make a living doing free lance work. As long as your not impeding their work im pretty sure your allowed to fly unless aircraft like an emergency helicopter is coming in. And yes I also plan to be there before most the emergency vehicles get there but I also want to develop a good relationship with the local law enforcement. Ive been in touch with their drone pilot and they know of me. So ill just play it by ear. And I also have to abide by state laws here in nc. So you never know. But if a news crew is allowed to do it. I should be able as a free lancer as long as im being safe its worth a shot.

Reactions: skipper1
I would never fly around a helicopter parked or not. But I have flown a few miles away from a hospital heliport. Very low activity even on a busy day and they only come from one direction most times. From the bigger city. Nextdoor. No flight plans submitted on my behalf. Class E. I felt like i flew safe. And did what i was supposed to do. Alot of this is common sense. And it it doesnt seem safe it prob isnt. But I always try to stay safe and luckily have never had any issues.

If your deliberately flying over emergency vehicles. I can see it being an issue. But im pretty sure by law. If you make a living doing free lance work. As long as your not impeding their work im pretty sure your allowed to fly unless aircraft like an emergency helicopter is coming in. And yes I also plan to be there before most the emergency vehicles get there but I also want to develop a good relationship with the local law enforcement. Ive been in touch with their drone pilot and they know of me. So ill just play it by ear. And I also have to abide by state laws here in nc. So you never know. But if a news crew is allowed to do it. I should be able as a free lancer as long as im being safe its worth a shot.
You’re on the right track, follow through and just do it. It could be that others might be jealous that they didn’t come up with the idea and are trying to discourage you.

Reactions: PX1P

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy