Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

how to post video , when you violate the FAA rules?

flyingfool

Reaction score
Hey guys, got some cool footage of protest in LA , but I'm scared to post videos on YT , since I clearly violated flight rules but never in a reckless manner, without going into details on my flight... is there a way to show stock footage without showing ones identity via out-of- country servers and upload sites?

You'd need a vpn at a provider you trust and is outside the US. And then it begins with creating anonymous accounts etc... It's not entirely safe and barely worth the effort.

Reactions: flyingfool
My advice? Don’t even think about posting it. Some local/state/federal agencies scour social media for violations of all kinds — and pursue them whenever possible. I would guess LA does this aggressively... Fines can be huge, sometimes including drone confiscation (National Park Service)...

Reactions: ETC and flyingfool
I did some research after you posted your question. My first response was don't worry about it as the FAA at one time stated they will not go after anyone on youtube as they cannot prove the Pilot in command but then remebered a few resent cases where they did go after people. So I started checking out groups that deal with UAV law. Seems when the FAA find a violation on Youtube, most likely reported from a viewer they will make a post on the Youtube channel. Basically having you call your FSDO to get a education and not do it again. It has been said that even one fellow refused to call and the FSDO and they came and knocked on his door and gave him a warning. No fines from what I can tell.

23593464_1663018420429945_1826302460357526107_o.jpg

thanks.. i think i'll hold off for awhile i'de figure getting drone confiscated would be skating.. all the violation prob rack up to $20-60k after studying what other guys have been busted for.
I'm amaized there not an unanimous website that host videos without signing up and recording ones computer id.., this would get more truth out into the public's eye while protecting reporters

thanks.. i think i'll hold off for awhile i'de figure getting drone confiscated would be skating.. all the violation prob rack up to $20-60k after studying what other guys have been busted for.
I'm amaized there not an unanimous website that host videos without signing up and recording ones computer id.., this would get more truth out into the public's eye while protecting reporters
Sorry, my answer wasn’t based on posting potentially illegally obtained video online, it was being caught capturing the drone video in the first place. Big difference! There’s a bunch written about this:

“Anything that restricts the duties of emergency services is against US law, so drones can’t fly near emergency situations. They can impede access for other aircraft, such as helicopters, and can be a hazard for operatives working below. In June 2016, California firefighters were unable to deploy helicopters because of drones hovering over forest fires. This behavior carries a fine of up to $25,000.”

In CA, I was threatened with arrest for photographing a fire at an industrial site, until I could prove I worked for the company...

CALIFORNIA TITLE 10. OF CRIMES AGAINST THE PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY [369a - 402c]
( Title 10 enacted 1872. )

(a) (1) Every person who goes to the scene of an emergency, or stops at the scene of an emergency, for the purpose of viewing the scene or the activities of police officers, firefighters, emergency medical, or other emergency personnel, or military personnel coping with the emergency in the course of their duties during the time it is necessary for emergency vehicles or those personnel to be at the scene of the emergency or to be moving to or from the scene of the emergency for the purpose of protecting lives or property, unless it is part of the duties of that person’s employment to view that scene or those activities, and thereby impedes police officers, firefighters, emergency medical, or other emergency personnel or military personnel, in the performance of their duties in coping with the emergency, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(2) For purposes of this subdivision, a person shall include a person, regardless of his or her location, who operates or uses an unmanned aerial vehicle, remote piloted aircraft, or drone that is at the scene of an emergency.

Might I suggest that you check your flight log and see what your flight path is, does it actually go over the roads where the protest took place?

On the positive side, you may have some footage of some crooked cop smacking an innocent protester around. Also, check into getting an ID stating you’re a freelance news videographer.

On the positive side, you may have some footage of some crooked cop smacking an innocent protester around. Also, check into getting an ID stating you’re a freelance news videographer.
sounds like a smart idea...how do i go about becoming freelance photographer?

sounds like a smart idea...how do i go about becoming freelance photographer?
I’m not sure how you go about it but I know there hundreds of freelance news guys out there. I would start by calling a TV station and find someone in the news department that can school you on it. I’ve thought about just getting a police monitor for home and when you hear something interesting going on, go fly it and see if there are any news stations willing to pay for some footage.

Reactions: PX1P
I think the part about calling a tv station is probably a good idea. Tell them you'd like to give them the footage anonymously. I do believe they have to protect their sources. There are also programs out there that remove all traces of where, who, what and how it was made in the description properties. I had one at one time for photos but forgot what it was.

Tufargon
No Program Needed (Windows)
Left Click on Photo to Highlight
Right Click on Photo
Go to Properties and Left Click
Click DETAILS
Click on REMOVE Properties and Personal Information
Click boxes you want to remove
Click OK

Screenshot (257).jpg

Screenshot (256).jpg

Screenshot (258).jpg

Sorry for the large Photos....

There you go. I somehow thought it was a separate software but you are 100% right.

I think the part about calling a tv station is probably a good idea. Tell them you'd like to give them the footage anonymously. I do believe they have to protect their sources. There are also programs out there that remove all traces of where, who, what and how it was made in the description properties. I had one at one time for photos but forgot what it was.
I had press passes for sporting events in our area by just asking the venue,college and schools ( I was/ am know in our area)
They gave me badges with school logos and my Photo ID
I quit when the minor and major leagues let you take photos and then required you to turn all photo right to them.
Membership from one of the best photographers forums has gone way down recently
Sportsshooters.com

Check here for some Ideas for a press photo
Press Credentials

Reactions: G_G and Tufargon
I’m not sure how you go about it but I know there hundreds of freelance news guys out there. I would start by calling a TV station and find someone in the news department that can school you on it. I’ve thought about just getting a police monitor for home and when you hear something interesting going on, go fly it and see if there are any news stations willing to pay for some footage.

No need
check this out
Broadcastify - Listen Live to Police, Fire, EMS, Aviation, and Rail Audio Feeds

I actually met with a local fox news crew and the cameraman was actually part 107 certified but was flying a p3p.. they were filming a tanker truck that rolled over and i said... "say what if someone gets footage of something like this or a news worthy event before you guys do?" He said. "We might pay you a couple hundred bucks if its something like a car fire or crazy wreck" . It it really just got my wheels turning as far as free lance work goes. Im sure it have to be interesting and youd have to be quick. But maybe.

Way to go, I’m glad you followed through. I have had this idea for a long time, just be at the scene before anyone else, get your footage and get out. Keep us posted on how everything goes for you.

I actually met with a local fox news crew and the cameraman was actually part 107 certified but was flying a p3p.. they were filming a tanker truck that rolled over and i said... "say what if someone gets footage of something like this or a news worthy event before you guys do?" He said. "We might pay you a couple hundred bucks if its something like a car fire or crazy wreck" . It it really just got my wheels turning as far as free lance work goes. Im sure it have to be interesting and youd have to be quick. But maybe.
I advice you against it. If the LEO decides you are impeding a rescue mission, you will have a lot of problems in your hands.

I advice you against it. If the LEO decides you are impeding a rescue mission, you will have a lot of problems in your hands.
I disagree, we’re not talking about being an emergency vehicle racing to a scene but rather getting close to the scene to get the footage you need and getting out. There is nothing wrong with free lancing, it’s a way of earning a living.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58