Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

How accurate is your automatic landing?

Wieg1

Reaction score
How accurate is your automatic landing? I have two EVO IIs and one EVO II v3 Enterprise, none of the three land at exactly the same takeoff point. The accurate landing option is activated and I also use the landing pad but I rarely land on it. There is an approximation of at least 1/2 meter. It's normal ?

How accurate is your automatic landing? I have two EVO IIs and one EVO II v3 Enterprise, none of the three land at exactly the same takeoff point. The accurate landing option is activated and I also use the landing pad but I rarely land on it. There is an approximation of at least 1/2 meter. It's normal ?
I use a 3 foot Hoodman landing pad with my Evo 2 Pro Enterprise V2 drones. I fly a lot of surveys. I find the automated accurate landing to very accurate and repeatable.

Last edited:
Reactions: EBEPLS and TonyC
My EVO II Pro V1 has seldom landed very accurately but it usually gets with a meter. There was a firmware update several months ago that increased landing accuracy. The aircraft now stops a couple of times coming down to adjust and improve landing accuracy, now I usually land within .5 meter.

Hi, both my EVO ll VI 6 & 8k drones land right on the middle of the H of my round landing pad.

Regards,
Richard

Reactions: Eagle928
Automatic landing is done by a combination of two factors. First the drone uses GPS to roughly return to the defined RTH location, but GPS alone is known to be not accurate enough. While descending the last meters it uses the bottom sensors for a parallax estimation of the ground. A landing pad with a clear contrasted H or + mark in the center thus helps the parallax computation. However this is also not always perfect. I would say 3 out of 5 times it lands at least with four legs on the pad, sometimes one leg is outside the pad. This can become a dirty landing if dust or leaves are being blown all around.

Note; I first used a 75cm in diagonal landing pad and recently started using a 110cm pad. The 110cm (44 inch) circle makes my Evo 2 V1 land all four legs on the pad more often.

However the best practise I find, is to press the "pause" button while the automatic landing is in progress just for last 3 meters (10 feet) above ground, this allows you to double check if it's accurate enough and if it's still safe to land, e.g. no dogs or children are near the intended landing spot and thereafter perform the final landing manually.

Last edited:
Reactions: ply17410
EVO II Pro V2 pretty good on Hoodman landing pad. Problem I have is that at touchdown the height shows '0' ft but when the motors shut off the 'Height' on my controller and/or the app goes to a negative number .. weird. Won't go back to zero unless I turn the battery off and back on.

Been working with Autel support for two months on the matter.

I usually land manually, but on the occasions that I have used RTH it has been spot on.

More often than not, all my Autel drones land right back to the same spot within inches or a fraction of an inch.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller