Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Home isnt home sometimes.

SkyWalker

Reaction score
Ok, I've seen a few cat mouse battles here ending without addressing the issue, so I will make an attempt of my own.
Somewhat new to the big orange bird but have studied, watch endless videos & read for weeks,. When taking off, sometimes my gps screen places my home point across the street. I have only flew from my yard, 25 acres open hay meadow. It's random but makes me nervous. All updates are current, all features work & I calibrate compass every flight. I dunno. Any pointers would help. Thanks in advance.

I've never had that happen with mine. I'm usually within a few feet with RTH. You shouldn't have to do the compass calibration update every flight after the final firmware update. Do you wait long enough for enough satellites? I forget what's recommended but I think it's 11 or 13 or so. Hopefully you don't have a hardware problem.

Ok, I've seen a few cat mouse battles here ending without addressing the issue, so I will make an attempt of my own.
Somewhat new to the big orange bird but have studied, watch endless videos & read for weeks,. When taking off, sometimes my gps screen places my home point across the street. I have only flew from my yard, 25 acres open hay meadow. It's random but makes me nervous. All updates are current, all features work & I calibrate compass every flight. I dunno. Any pointers would help. Thanks in advance.
It happens to me sometimes on my iPad Pro and my Android tablet when I am playing with the Explorer app, without the RC or bird turned on. The blue spot marking my home point can start in the backyard, but if I wait long enough it will move to within a few feet of wherever I am sitting at the time. I suppose this is related to the number of sats picked up (don’t have a program on either tablet which tells me how many).

Last edited:
I've never had that happen with mine. I'm usually within a few feet with RTH. You shouldn't have to do the compass calibration update every flight after the final firmware update. Do you wait long enough for enough satellites? I forget what's recommended but I think it's 11 or 13 or so. Hopefully you don't have a hardware problem.
Yes, I hover to zero in. It doesn't happen frequently but it has about 3 times. Once I didn't notice home being elsewhere, hit the RTH & batta bing, batta boom, that sucker took a b line for the south. Luckily I was within line of sight and switched to manual mode, took control & brought it home for a safe landing. Textbook recovery. Now I double check where home is. Today it was across the street so I flew with caution. Frustrating for sure.

It happens to me sometimes on my iPad Pro and my Android tablet when I am playing with the Explorer app, without the RC or bird turned on. The blue spot marking my home point can start in the backyard, but if I wait long enough it will move to within a few feet of wherever I am sitting at the time. I suppose this is related to the number of seats picked up (don’t have a program on either tablet which tells me how many).
It might have something happening similar but you gotta remember these are two different birds with different hardware and apps. Who knows.

Yes, I hover to zero in. It doesn't happen frequently but it has about 3 times. Once I didn't notice home being elsewhere, hit the RTH & batta bing, batta boom, that sucker took a b line for the south. Luckily I was within line of sight and switched to manual mode, took control & brought it home for a safe landing. Textbook recovery. Now I double check where home is. Today it was across the street so I flew with caution. Frustrating for sure.
I've never heard of this issue. Maybe a gps module malfunction?
Maybe contact Autel and see if they have come across this?

Reactions: Ansia
Also, always remember RTH is a safety feature. It is not something for you to rely on all the time. Although it is weird that your home point is being placed elsewhere. The drone's gps is way more accurate than your phones. Like @Tufargon suggested. I would contact Autel about this. They will probably ask you to send it in, but a faulty gps will most likely end up in a crash.

Reactions: Tufargon
I fly at three different locations all within 2 miles of each other. I have a 2x2' landing pad that I place on the ground for TO&Lds.
My EVO has always landed on the pad when I RTH. That still amazes me !

Reactions: Drgnfli
I just checked & my tablet has me across the street so I tried multiple tablets, they all place my Google gps home point across the street. Funny thing is, after opening Google maps my blue dot wobbles & jumps around and sometimes eventually makes it to me..... After several approaches & attempts, even activating pinpoint accuracy same thing. I'm able to drop an additional pin where I'm at but it isn't recognized as my location, only a wish point I suppose. So, I guess its safest to make certain XSP creates one at take off......

I'm not sure on how you are doing all that but you know the home location is set by the GPS in the drone and not the tablet? So you should be looking at the home location in the starlink app. Does it only happen in one location?

Riddle me this, Riddle me that, the digital world is so smart it don't know where I'm at. Here a tablet, there a tablet, everywhere a phone or tablet, I don't even know. I did sync my soul against my own better judgment. When starlink is booted up it occasionally uses my map & acknowledges my Google home point as THE home point & possibly even overrides the automatic home point placement. Possibly 2 protons jammed in the fussil lodge of sector 3 & 4 causing the flux capacitor to melt down. I think maybe I will just tether it with about 500' of monofilament. That should do the trick.

o_O Ok, that should do it. You got it all figured out.
A little hard to try to help when you're throwing riddles out.
Guess i'll go eat some green eggs and ham.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ansia
I would say... Try to go 25yrds in the field. play for about a min then hit RTH. Watcg=h where it goes, be ready to take over if it's off from take-off spot.

Reactions: SkyWalker
I would say... Try to go 25yrds in the field. play for about a min then hit RTH. Watcg=h where it goes, be ready to take over if it's off from take-off spot.
Will do, I have pre-op this morning for spinal surgery but will later on.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials