Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Has Autel Improved the IOS ( Apple) app to be on par with the Android version?

Felipe

Reaction score
I have read in quite a few threads that the EVO was made to link to Android devices better than Apple devices, due to the apps for each. I looked on my EVO box and it says " Made for iPhone and iPad mean that an electronic accessory has been designed to connect specifically to iPhone or iPad".

IMG_3130.jpgDoes that indicate that they manufacture and market EVO units that are different in the their ability to work best on Android or best on Apple devices? Just curious if other IOS device users have noticed any fewer features or connectivity issues? Would I have more features if I just use the controller alone without my iPhone or iPad mini?

Thanks

I have read in quite a few threads that the EVO was made to link to Android devices better than Apple devices, due to the apps for each. I looked on my EVO box and it says " Made for iPhone and iPad mean that an electronic accessory has been designed to connect specifically to iPhone or iPad".

View attachment 2808Does that indicate that they manufacture and market EVO units that are different in the their ability to work best on Android or best on Apple devices? Just curious if other IOS device users have noticed any fewer features or connectivity issues? Would I have more features if I just use the controller alone without my iPhone or iPad mini?

Thanks
I use the IPad mini and it works great!!!

The software is not designed to favor any particular O.S. However, different operating systems may handle and present a software application in different ways. The differences you might experience are not a factor of the Drone Operating Software, but rather, are a result of the differences in Operating Systems. In the computer world, there are some software applications that may work better under Windows OS, while others may work better under iOS. It is the goal of the software developer to create their software so that it will work equally as well under all operating systems. But, since this isn't a perfect world, that goal is easier said than done :)
Note also, that in addition to being able to run on different operating systems, software can run differently on the same operating system, when processors, and quantity of memory vary. Simply put, there are many variables. If your software runs differently on different devices, it is not a fault of the software, but simply a result of running on different devices.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I'm slightly annoyed that my new EVO arrived yesterday with a choice of two cables (micro USB and USB type-C) to connect the RC to a mobile device, neither of which slots into my iPad mini 2 lightning port. This is politically incorrect, not least as Apple is a fine American company. Could someone please point me to the part I need to buy?

Thanks - that looks like it would connect my iPad to my Mac but to connect it to the EVO remote I thought I needed a Micro USB connector instead of that wide USB plug?
That is the one I use and I am having really good results with my EVO

Reactions: YuKay
I'm slightly annoyed that my new EVO arrived yesterday with a choice of two cables (micro USB and USB type-C) to connect the RC to a mobile device, neither of which slots into my iPad mini 2 lightning port. This is politically incorrect, not least as Apple is a fine American company. Could someone please point me to the part I need to buy?

Dude, a regular lightning cable will work just fine, look at your controller, to has a regular USB also right next to the micro, you have a charging cord for the iPad right?

Chinese manuals usually are very vague, might sa well be written in Chinese. Now go fly darn it1
Unfortunately it looks like several days until the wind drops enough to make me brave enough to launch the maiden flight. Having charged my batteries once I presume I will have to discharge and recharge before flying in 3-4 days' time...

Autel probably couldn't manufacture lightning cables themselves because Apple's patent.

Autel probably couldn't manufacture lightning cables themselves because Apple's patent.
Not sure I buy that as there are hundreds of non-Apple lightning cables on offer, including some which are "Apple certified". Anyway, I ended up buying this one this morning with same day delivery.

Now I would be grateful for some advice on formatting the SD card for use with Macs. The 32GB card supplied with the EVO is FAT32 which my Mac can read and copy files from but it won't let me write to it (I tried putting the firmware update on it) Get Info reports it as Read Only and doesn't offer any other permissions. Do I have to reformat to exFAT - and if so, are there any disadvantages?

UPDATE: Problem solved - I found that I had inadvertently moved the lock slider on the SD card adapter. Duh.

Last edited:
Not sure I buy that as there are hundreds of non-Apple lightning cables on offer, including some which are "Apple certified". Anyway, I ended up buying this one this morning with same day delivery.

Now I would be grateful for some advice on formatting the SD card for use with Macs. The 32GB card supplied with the EVO is FAT32 which my Mac can read and copy files from but it won't let me write to it (I tried putting the firmware update on it) Get Info reports it as Read Only and doesn't offer any other permissions. Do I have to reformat to exFAT - and if so, are there any disadvantages?

I have tried a 64 gig card with exFAT (taken from my Typhoon G) and it worked fine. FAT32 also works fine in EVO for me.

Unfortunately it looks like several days until the wind drops enough to make me brave enough to launch the maiden flight. Having charged my batteries once I presume I will have to discharge and recharge before flying in 3-4 days' time...
The EVO batteries will automatically discharge themselves based on a setting in the app. I believe the default is 6 days until discharge occurs and it will discharge down to 70%, which is apparently a safe level to leave for storage.

I have tried a 64 gig card with exFAT (taken from my Typhoon G) and it worked fine. FAT32 also works fine in EVO for me.
My iMac refused to format the new EVO SD card when I used the built-in card reader, claiming some issue with the partitions. But when I used a third-party unpowered card reader, everything changed - including that I could now write to the FAT32 disk, so I no longer need to reformat it. Why the Apple card reader complains is a bit of a mystery.

The EVO batteries will automatically discharge themselves based on a setting in the app. I believe the default is 6 days until discharge occurs and it will discharge down to 70%, which is apparently a safe level to leave for storage.
Thanks - however the manual says to discharge batteries to, I think, 7% before recharging them, at least once a month to prolong their life and efficiency so I guess I'll be looking for ways to discharge conveniently when I don't have enough charge for a flight and too much for a recharge!

The new firmware has updated the battery as well so I presume I have to run it again with my spare battery installed? Is there a way to select just the battery update or is there no option but to run through the whole process? Hopefully, the EVO will do the selection automatically...

It will or should see that the EVO is updated and just update the batteries firmware. That was the way the X-Star worked anyways.

Thanks - however the manual says to discharge batteries to, I think, 7% before recharging them, at least once a month to prolong their life and efficiency so I guess I'll be looking for ways to discharge conveniently when I don't have enough charge for a flight and too much for a recharge!

The new firmware has updated the battery as well so I presume I have to run it again with my spare battery installed? Is there a way to select just the battery update or is there no option but to run through the whole process? Hopefully, the EVO will do the selection automatically...

My EVO manual says to discharge batteries to 7% once every three months or after the battery has been used for 20 consecutive charges.

For my 2nd battery, I ran the complete firmware update again but only the battery portion installed and the rest was skipped since all other pieces were up to date. I believe that is what it said to do in the firmware update instructions. i know I read it somewhere.

Reactions: mixchief and YuKay

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller