Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Hanging RC

bjtap

Reaction score
Has anyone found a way to have the Evo remote control hang from the neck like the RC from the XStar? (While flying the Xstar I 'relied' on being able to put the remote down 'hang' at times.
Thanks in advance for ideas.
Also: can the same microsd card used in the Xstar be used in the Evo?

Has anyone found a way to have the Evo remote control hang from the neck like the RC from the XStar? (While flying the Xstar I 'relied' on being able to put the remote down 'hang' at times.
Thanks in advance for ideas.

You put your finger on my single gripe with the EVO system. The RC ergonomics suck...

Also: can the same microsd card used in the Xstar be used in the Evo?

Except for performance and capacity , a "card is a card is a card." But, I believe you would be well advised to format any "foreign" card in the bird before use.

Reactions: mixchief
Yeah, that holder is heavy duty, also heavy money
Got my "Lifthor" today. Once assembled and installed on the RC it works well, but the assembly is kinda convoluted and takes some time (and finesse). In any case, it does "solidify" the EVO RC and makes the whole thing more comfortable and secure, especially with the lanyard attachment. One minor problem is that unless you disassemble the Lifthor and remove it from the RC it is very difficult (like, impossible!!) to transport the combo in a case designed for the EVO. All-in-all, I'm a happy camper...

Got my "Lifthor" today. Once assembled and installed on the RC it works well, but the assembly is kinda convoluted and takes some time (and finesse). In any case, it does "solidify" the EVO RC and makes the whole thing more comfortable and secure, especially with the lanyard attachment. One minor problem is that unless you disassemble the Lifthor and remove it from the RC it is very difficult (like, impossible!!) to transport the combo in a case designed for the EVO. All-in-all, I'm a happy camper...

Does it fix the weight distribution issues. I previously had a tablet for my evo, but it was too top heavy.

Does it fix the weight distribution issues. I previously had a tablet for my evo, but it was too top heavy.
Absolutely! The balance is much better, and even with a 9.7" tablet there is no strain to hold it in the proper position. I also like the neck strap attachment point, and it hangs in a readable position hands-off. I guess all this depends on what we define as a "proper" position, and on the weight of the tablet in use, so YMMV.

Really like the simplicity of this thing, also looks perfectly balanced and firm, not available in American amazon though.
I figured that at that price I could afford a shot in the dark in the interest of science and bodging. It should arrive this week and I'll let you know if I can make it work on my EVO. If it does, I would be happy to get another for forwarding to you if there are no vendors offering shipping to the US -- but the shipping is likely to cost more than the unit.

Please tell me: if connected to a phone or tablet, is there any need to see what is on the RC screen? I don't know my EVO well enough yet to know what I might be missing if I never looked at the RC display.

I do know that, as a Novice still, I much prefer the convenience and lightness of flying with the RC only -- but that's only until I get around to trying out the intelligent flight modes.

I found the part on eBay from various sources starting at U$ 6.00 or so shipped from China LOL. I just had another adapter from China that was 3dp, second one that breaks in the same spot, I’m sure yours will not suffer the same fate if you can make it work, it’s just that the joint where the new holder (basically a DJI devise holder) gets screwed in, needs to be pretty solid, 3D parts I’ve seen to date are just too brittle. your holder doesn't have any place where high pressures would cause a break so even 3dp might last. I actually found another adapter that is made for Mavic or spark and basically replaces a cellphone in the holder and uses a holder (also akin to the DJI Inspire holder) but this one keeps the attachment bracket (could be metal) similar to the original Remote Control Phone Flat Bracket 4''-12'' Inch Holder Parts for DJI SPARK Drone | eBay, and they claim to be injection molded on the plastic parts and not 3DP, so maybe, just maybe it will last. To finally answer your question, pretty much all info avaimlable on the RC screen is on the app, so looking at the controller is not of major importance except when you need to see the "home" "liftoff and land" "pause" and "on off " buttons, all of which could be pretty important and catastrophic if pressed during flight, just a matter of training yourself and remembering at a touch which is which.

Reactions: YuKay
I wonder whether something like this might work with, or be adaptable for, the EVO RC. Also, this cheapie should be adaptable imho.

View attachment 3072
Well, the short answer is No: I couldn't see a way to attach the brackets to the EVO RC without major surgery. But I still may use it as an iPad sling. The brackets could easily be cut off but they serve as stabilisers when they hang against my stomach - and they also act as an inelegant iPad stand. So, my 10 bucks hasn't been wasted.

The supplied 3M adhesive pads for the two tablet clamps protect the screen and may or may not be thick enough to hold every device securely.

Lichifit iPad sling-4.pngLichifit iPad sling-3.pngLichifit iPad sling-2.pngLichifit iPad sling-1.png

twas a neat idea, yes it was. However now I'm seeing some disadvantages unless it can be rigged to work as designed. I can see that being useful to use the goggles and keeping the HDMI cable out of the way still allowing access to the tablet in addition to keeping the weight off the disadvantage I see right off the bat is the position of the tablet to tap and touch while holding the controller, the actual angle of the tablet will make it more susceptible to glare, and it looks pretty tough to adapt a hood on it. Your photos shed a whole new light on it. I would say for me it's a 50/50 benefit/liability, however, the investment is not really much of a loss. Oh and I have a feeling my Shield tablet will be to thick for it. Now, is the width of the "controller holders? too wide or too narrow with the iPad? is that a full size 4?

I'm using an iPad Mini 2 which is 8 inches wide. The connecting brackets fall perfectly into place for connection to the RC handles but they are designed for another controller so can't be persuaded to connect to the EVO RC. A bodge might have been possible if the gap down the centre of the RC grip mouldings were fractionally wider.

I don't know anything about the Shield but I wouldn't want to try this device with any thicker tablet than mine.

I think the width of the shield is the same, thickness is the issue. question, if you grind down the central member of the controller "receiver" for lack of a better term, do the handles fit? Is this piece 3DP? or molded? That middle piece seems to go in the "channel" where the phone would fit into the Mavic handles and absolutely an obstacle for the evo handles that are not hollow there. If the gap allows for the EVO handles maybe all is not lost.

I think each bracket is a one-piece moulding. I had hoped that the hollow rectangular end pieces would slide over the EVO RC handles after removing the thin protrusion which blocks it but the opening is just a tad too small.

Maybe - but that would leave it too thin and liable to snap. Anyway, that kind of work is above my pay grade.

look ma' no hands!!-1.jpg
This worked freaking great really easy way to carry the controller and have hands free when needed, absolutely no weight to throw your neck out of whack. This is an Inspire P3,4 RC waist mount, it is fast mount unmount with the DJI RC but for the EVO controller I used velcro, heavy duty velcro allegedly, the problem is, the tape sticks to the tray perfectly, but not to the EVO controller, I guess the material or the texture is not allowing it to, bummed me out, however the front (belly side) of the Inspire mount holds it well, just not positioned where I want (you can see the velcro strip further up) Now I have to figure out how to make the velcro stick. I also think I will need to get the hanging tablet adaptor depicted above, as the EVO phone holder with the extension is not making me warm and fuzzy it's not staying in place and gets a little wobbly. so, maybe I won't be free of neck weight. Anyone have any ideas for the velcro on the EVO RC? will sanding the area help or will it make it more difficult to stick and stay? I really cleaned it well using alcohol, so I don't think it's a dirt issue.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58