Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Grain Evo 2 Pro

Frank Dorren

Reaction score
Website
auvimedia.nl
A few days ago I was shooting pictures with my Evt 2 Pro drone round Sundown.
Keeping the Sundown atmosphere but I had to raise the Iso to 3200 (T: 1/50 F: 2.8), no filters.
Setting was 16:9 and RAW + JPG.
Result: RAW With a lot of grain. After post, grain reduction, increasing sharpnes, other color corrections resulting in an unacceptable image.
Result JPG: Less grain and after post an excepable image. Much more sharpness, but only 12MB (The RAW file was 50MB)
So the sensor has not so much light sensibility !!??!!??
Anyone same experience?

Sounds like you know what you're doing but here's a suggestion anyway. Def go with an ISO much slower than 3200 since that's where the noise is coming from - try 800. Check your histogram, if the blacks aren't clipping then go with the same exposure time. as 1/30th might yield too much motion blur - you're right on the cusp of blur with 1/50. I shoot raw often (with other cameras) and as long as there's information in the blacks I'll 'expose to the left' and have always been able to recover the low end of the exposure.

Sunrises and sunsets can be challenging to get right. I would suggest to take a number of shots using different shutter speeds. I personally never raise the iso above 400 and then only that for cloudy days. When I take sunrise shots I change the shutter speed depending on how high the sun is. I rarely shoot wide open at f2.8 I'm usually around f4 or higher and adjust the shutter speed accordingly. Experiment - its fun and you'll learn what works for different situations.

What are you using in post production to process your raw images? That might be the root of your problem. RAW "images" are a bit of a misnomer. They aren't so much images as they are data, which need to be decoded.

Thus a RAW photo in a standard image viewer, such as Faststone (which is good otherwise), will look awful and no amount of adjusting with that app will bring it close to correct or for that matter, your jpg image.

Try opening up your RAW photo in Adobe Lightroom (or if you have photoshop, fine, it has the Camera Raw plugin). If you don't have those purchased, use Darktable. It's free and incredible with a bit of a learning curve. But in all three of those cases, your RAW photo should open up correctly as those programs are reading the metadata file. At that point, the standard tweaks are all that's needed to produce a great shot.

Other than that, agreed, your ISO was definitely contributing to the noise/grain. I hope you find the problem and can correct. From my experience, the DNG photos this drone takes are phenomenal!!

Reactions: lukappaseidue
Keeping the Sundown atmosphere but I had to raise the Iso to 3200 (T: 1/50 F: 2.8), no filters.
Result: RAW With a lot of grain. After post, grain reduction, increasing sharpnes, other color corrections resulting in an unacceptable image.
Result JPG: Less grain and after post an excepable image. Much more sharpness, but only 12MB (The RAW file was 50MB)
Anyone same experience?
Thank you for responding. I am a profession; photographer for over 40 years (last 15 years also film-maker), so I know what you mean. My post was done in Photoshop RAW converter. You're right, normally the DNG files gives a very good result; specially when we talk about sharpnes.
In this case I think the lesson is that I/we have to avoid Iso 3200. One reaction mentioned not to go over 400. I was a bid afraid to create movement unsharpnes when I will go to a longer shutter speed. Next time I will try it with those longer shutter speeds; depends on how quiet the Drone stays stay in the air.

What are you using in post production to process your raw images? That might be the root of your problem. RAW "images" are a bit of a misnomer. They aren't so much images as they are data, which need to be decoded.

Thus a RAW photo in a standard image viewer, such as Faststone (which is good otherwise), will look awful and no amount of adjusting with that app will bring it close to correct or for that matter, your jpg image.

Try opening up your RAW photo in Adobe Lightroom (or if you have photoshop, fine, it has the Camera Raw plugin). If you don't have those purchased, use Darktable. It's free and incredible with a bit of a learning curve. But in all three of those cases, your RAW photo should open up correctly as those programs are reading the metadata file. At that point, the standard tweaks are all that's needed to produce a great shot.

Other than that, agreed, your ISO was definitely contributing to the noise/grain. I hope you find the problem and can correct. From my experience, the DNG photos this drone takes are phenomenal!!
Thank you for responding. I am a profession; photographer for over 40 years (last 15 years also film-maker), so I know what you mean. My post was done in Photoshop RAW converter. You're right, normally the DNG files gives a very good result; specially when we talk about sharpnes.
In this case I think the lesson is that I/we have to avoid Iso 3200. One reaction mentioned not to go over 400. I was a bid afraid to create movement unsharpnes when I will go to a longer shutter speed. Next time I will try it with those longer shutter speeds; depends on how quiet the Drone stays stay in the air.

Of course, makes sense. I think you'll be very pleased with how steady these drones are which should yield sharp images at lower shutter speeds. Good luck, with your experience you'll have this solved in no time!

Anyone same experience?
Hiya.

You could take clean (almost noiseless) shots at 3200, if you are happy in merging images in Photoshop. Take 4+ shots of exactly the same scene (i.e. do not move the drone in between shots) then Auto Align/Blend them together. As long as there were no fast-moving items in your shot, the scene should be almost noiseless. The more shots you take the better this will be. That said, always better to lower your ISO.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d