Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Gimbal Self Checking never ends (New Nano+)

Detritalgeo

Reaction score
I just received my Nano+ Premium Kit from the Official Autel Robotics Store on Ali Express.

I unpacked it and noticed and charged the batteries but I noticed the gimbal was always looking down 30 degrees, the app kept saying "Gimbal Self-Checking" forever and it would twitch every 30 seconds or so. I did the latest firmware updates and the gimbal still does not react at all to the RC or to the gimbal calibration procedure. Disappointing after spending $1300.

I was looking forward to taking it out this long weekend but now it seems to be broken out of the box. Anyone else have any ideas other than beg for warranty coverage?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE AND RESOLUTION:
Autel support elected to replace the unit under warranty. New Nano+ airframe arrived earlier this week and everything works as intended. Thank you Autel support for providing assistance even though there is quite a large service volume.

I still think the issue was caused by an incorrect gimbal cover installation which would explain why it was shipped out after factory testing. Anyway, issue resolved and looking forward to future firmware enhancements. I know we should never buy something based on a future FW promise... but it is what it is.

Last edited:
So it appears following the quick guide screwed me over. I installed the latest firmware as directed before first flight and the update process gave me a time-out message even though the new FW #'s are listed in the app.

It is possible that this odd warning has something to do with the wonky gimbal now.. The user guise states that there is a manual FW upgrade process via SD card but not sure how to that file until i hear back from Autel in a few weeks.

Birthday present to myself has not gone as planned.

Screenshot_20220219-083039.png

Some have reported issues with sd cards and how they are formatted. Might look for posts on that and see if it applies to you

Reactions: Detritalgeo
I had 3 batteries total and on the 3rd battery I changed phones for the update and the firmware said it worked this time... but the issue with the gimbal is still the same.

I put this video of the problem together to help out the Autel support people.. Frustrating as hell, was hoping to fly but was like this right out of the box... the gimbal seems to reset itself every 10 seconds or so.

: Youtube: Nano+ Gimbal Issues

Reactions: donaldw112
I have the same issue as in Detritalgeo's video.

Mine's never worked out of the box. I restart, change start sequence, change batteries and eventually the gimbal will start working at which point i've lost interest in flying

Waiting for a response/fix from Autel. I've e mailed the EU support and also sent a video of mine doing the same.

My gimbal has never worked but I hear you. I recently discovered that my gimbal will only stabilize if the aircraft is tilted about 30 degrees to the right. If it is flat or tilted to the left the gimbal is continually resetting itself. Nut sure when I will hear back from Autel but will follow-up here when I do. This is a warranty event regardless.

return the drone and demand a full refund by disputing the credit card charge if you can. do it now while you still can. if autel is willing to replace your drone then fine but do yourself a favor and get out of this particular nano while you still can. you'll be much happier with a production-quality nano.

I Agree @kenautelevo2pro.. unfortunately I bought from the "official" Autel Robotics AliExpress retailer and that could get interesting. It was a savings of 240 USD though compared to the Autel direct Shopify store-front.

I have a bit of an update and put together the video below for the support people. They have responded and asked me to reinstall the firmware but didnt indicate how without a FW package file. Waiting to hear back but i am sure they are busy. This one needs to by addressed physically I am certain.

UPDATE:
To follow-up, I got in contact with support and they authorized a return for warranty repair and inspection in WA.
Autel Robotics support does have a large call volume these days but they are very helpful.
Stay tuned,,

Reactions: ethelsnakes
UPDATE:
Autel support elected to replace the unit under warranty. New Nano+ airframe arrived earlier this week and everything works as intended. Thank you Autel support for providing assistance even though there is quite a large service volume.

I still think the issue was caused by an incorrect gimbal cover installation which would explain why it was shipped out after factory testing. Anyway, issue resolved and looking forward to future firmware enhancements. I know we should never buy something based on a future FW promise... but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Great news. Mine is in Germany for repair and today i received an email to say they are replacing the aircraft.

Same here, gimbal failed. No firmware written on sdcard did not helped...waiting for a clue.

try tilting the drone to the side for a few seconds.. it may respond

Autel replaced my Nano+ when this happened, must be a small defect in one of the motors that is causing it to overload.
Is like is cut all power in servo from gimbal....I have tried all positions :) ....the gimbal too.... :)))...still the gimbal have a problem.

Guys, unfortunately this is the best solution for this error. There's a lot of things that can be fixed via software but when this type of thing happens it's usually a sign of weak / bad hardware.

Only thing for future people to try is a cold IMU calibration. If that fixes the issue the next thing would be a gimbal calibration. If that allows you do completely then the issue is more than likely resolved.

Reactions: lifeisfun
I got my new Autel Evo Nano+ drone delivered today,
and unfortunately found that it does not work properly.

The message comes up constantly: "Gimbal is selfchecking, please take off later",
the start button in the app is then disabled.

Sometimes after several minutes of this message, which is also output acoustically,
then the start button is activated for a few seconds, but this is usually returned by the same message,
that the gimbal checks itself and is deactivated again.

Switching from an Android phone to an iPhone 11 didn't help either.

The gimbal as such reacts and initializes itself perfectly. A gimbal calibration did not help.

What should I do, and where can I reach the Support-Team?

The message comes up constantly: "Gimbal is selfchecking, please take off later",

Sometimes after several minutes of this message, which is also output acoustically,
then the start button is activated for a few seconds, but this is usually returned by the same message,

The gimbal as such reacts and initializes itself perfectly. A gimbal calibration did not help.

You can get that message up to a minute at boot. Especially if you keep moving the craft.

Try an imu calibration. If that doesn’t fix it, it’s doa.

That gimbal message is triggered as soon as the drone gets moved or doesn't sit level on the ground.
Just try to place it quite level and wait for a few seconds without touching it.
Do NOT try to start from metal, like your car's hood or trunk, stay away from any magnetic fields.
If you still do, that nagging gimbal message might not stop for minutes, calibrations won't help.

That gimbal message is triggered as soon as the drone gets moved or doesn't sit level on the ground.
Just try to place it quite level and wait for a few seconds without touching it.
Do NOT try to start from metal, like your car's hood or trunk, stay away from any magnetic fields.
If you still do, that nagging gimbal message might not stop for minutes, calibrations won't help.
I hope this will get somehow corrected since it makes it impossible to hand launch it as well.
This is handy when trying to take off from boat that is constantly moving.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy