Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Frustrating search for big screen device

Nightbat2

Reaction score
I’ve been looking without much success for a larger screen device to connect to my Evo. My iPad 12.9, which I use for most of my computing these days, is too large and heavy. But I don’t want to go to the expense of a smaller iPad, such as the Mini or a higher end Android tablet, so I’ve been looking at phablet phones instead—some with screens of up to 6.9 inches. Trouble is, their displays are tall but not very wide, which I don’t think ideal for composing shots or checking out the view. Any opinions?

I also have a gen II 12.9” iPad Pro, and I love it. I only use my Mac to edit videos & photos, and downloading stuff from questionable sites ;)

For the money, the newest, cheapest 9.7” iPad is a great full-sized tablet. Wife uses one when she travels for business, and loves it. Cheap, fast, bright, it’s her TV at night too. A lot of tech sites say this...

Reactions: Nightbat2
I also have a gen II 12.9” iPad Pro, and I love it. I only use my Mac to edit videos & photos, and downloading stuff from questionable sites ;)

For the money, the newest, cheapest 9.7” iPad is a great full-sized tablet. Wife uses one when she travels for business, and loves it. Cheap, fast, bright, it’s her TV at night too. A lot of tech sites say this...
Yes, cheapest iPad in Oz retails for around $A450. My wife just bought one and it’s very impressive. I’d rather not spend that much if I can avoid it just for a device to fly my drone.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I am using my 5 year old Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro that I bought on closeout at Best Buy for $140 to use on my first Phantom. It has the 8" display 16 Gig HD, I have no cell service on it and never had. Flying in my back and front yard, I get good enough WiFi to see and use the Google map view. I attached it to my EVO controller using a Cheap $1 phone Hard Case that I bought at our local dollar store. I used the method I saw on a YouTube Video.
In the video it looks like he use his whole phone and phone protector. The hard case I bought is very firm and does not bend and it holds My Tablet in the EVO controllers very well.
Plus it is a lot lighter to hold than with a phone included.

I am using my 5 year old Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro that I bought on closeout at Best Buy for $140 to use on my first Phantom. It has the 8" display 16 Gig HD, I have no cell service on it and never had. Flying in my back and front yard, I get good enough WiFi to see and use the Google map view. I attached it to my EVO controller using a Cheap $1 phone Hard Case that I bought at our local dollar store. I used the method I saw on a YouTube Video.
In the video it looks like he use his whole phone and phone protector. The hard case I bought is very firm and does not bend and it holds My Tablet in the EVO controllers very well.
Plus it is a lot lighter to hold than with a phone included.
Looks good. My only concern is whether there is additional strain on the screw holding the phone clamp to the RC?

Yes, cheapest iPad in Oz retails for around $A450. My wife just bought one and it’s very impressive. I’d rather not spend that much if I can avoid it just for a device to fly my drone.
I use Craigslist for iPads. I haven’t bought a new one in years. There’s no moving parts, if the screen is OK they’re hard to beat. The battery seems to be a non-factor in terms of overuse. I’ve never encountered one with any battery issues at all...

Bit the bullet yesterday and ordered a Chinese ‘cheapie’ (well, moderately so), an Alldocube X1 8.4 inch tablet with GPS, 4G LTE and Android 8.1. It can also make phone calls, but it won’t be used for that unless my phone dies. The reasons I took this course were twofold: screen aspect ratio (modern phone screens are too tall and narrow) and price (US$140). Should arrive next week so we’ll see how it goes.

Amazon has some sweet Cellular Phones that don't need a service plan and ar3 nice and fast 8 core... Samsung Galaxy A50 and super Bright outdoors Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy A50 SM-A505G 64GB 4GB RAM 25 MP 6.4" Factory Unlocked- Black: Cell Phones & AccessoriesView attachment 4611
Amazon has some sweet Cellular Phones that don't need a service plan and ar3 nice and fast 8 core... Samsung Galaxy A50 and super Bright outdoors Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy A50 SM-A505G 64GB 4GB RAM 25 MP 6.4" Factory Unlocked- Black: Cell Phones & AccessoriesView attachment 4611
Yes, the A series in particular have very good screens. They are very ‘tall’ and narrow, though. I prefer the aspect ratio of a tablet.

The Nexus 9 can be purchased used in great condition for very little money on Swappa, eBay, etc. I have a new iPad 9.7 and the Nexus and the latter is much more comfortable to use with the Evo.

The Nexus 9 can be purchased used in great condition for very little money on Swappa, eBay, etc. I have a new iPad 9.7 and the Nexus and the latter is much more comfortable to use with the Evo.

I have a gen 6 iPad but I have read that Android app works better than the iOS one. Would you agree ?

Didn't see this mentioned but if your using a tablet away from your home wifi but you still want to use those features just use the mobile hotspot from your cell phone works like a charm as long as you have cell service where your flying. As far as a tablet I use the Samsung Tab A its been pretty decent so far and actually repurposed my adapter that I bought from copter.eu for my Yuneec Mantis Q to use on my EVO controller works great.

Reactions: MMaserati
i have about 10 galaxy tablets I'll sell, they work good, then i also have 16 parts units

these are good for night and early morning flights, afternoon flights will require a hood. i want $25 for the working units. I'm in LA area

I’ve been looking without much success for a larger screen device to connect to my Evo. My iPad 12.9, which I use for most of my computing these days, is too large and heavy. But I don’t want to go to the expense of a smaller iPad, such as the Mini or a higher end Android tablet, so I’ve been looking at phablet phones instead—some with screens of up to 6.9 inches. Trouble is, their displays are tall but not very wide, which I don’t think ideal for composing shots or checking out the view. Any opinions?
I really like my IPhone 11 Pro Max or whatever they call their big phone!! Not the biggest but it fits in the controller nicely and is big enough to see clearly and use. The other device I’ve been thinking of trying out is a Amazon Kindle. I think it’s about 7 inches across on the screen, so a little larger. It’s just not hooked up to the internet so I’d have to try it with using a hotspot from the phone. Not really sure how well that works since I’ve never had the need to try it. I think the kindle is a tad too big to fit in the controller without a tablet holder or something. Hope that help...

I went on this website to order a couple of leg extensions for my Evo & noticed this device they make to fit tablets for the Evo controller. Thought it might be of some help, not sure. I have absolutely nothing to do with this company. I’ve ordered the antenna hinge protectors from them and the antenna cover. They’re made really well & they print stuff quickly. The tablet device looks pretty cool. I wish I’d thought of something like that!! Anyway here’s the link in case you guys don’t know about it yet..... Autel Evo Tablet Grabber - 3D Printed Drone Mods

Thought id share my setup it's a Samung Tab A 7.0in using the Lifthor Tablet holder it's a bit bulky but extremely well constructed if you purchase directly from Lifthor which I did it'll ship using DHL from Norway im in Tucson AZ had ordered on Friday received it on Monday it really is awesome I used my mobile hotspot on my phone while flying fir internet to the tablet and everything ran flawlessly. LifThor Tablet Mount for Autel EVO and EVO 2 I purchased the 7 inch sunshade, lanyard, cellphone holder attachment, and usb cable all from Lifthor definitely can't beat it also sorry if the pics dont show all the details to well took those on a whim can certainly take better next time I have it setup.20200429_190400.jpg20200429_190352.jpg

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller