Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

FPV VR

sfowler39

Reaction score
I am looking to try out this VR tool in the app. I have a iPhone 7+ and have been looking on amazon for a headset to buy. WOW - so many and not sure which to pick. So confusing. I use glasses for reading so I will need one thats adjustable or one that allows for glasses. I am using the iPhone beta app by autel.

Any ideas or preferences on the EVO? I saw an EVO VR headset. I know its not made by Autel...but it looks like it would look well with this drone. Need some opinions. Really dont want to buy something find out it doesn't work with the EVO. I am into photography and feel this would bring my photography to new heights.

A couple I was looking at are:
https://www.amazon.com/Pansonite-Up...TF8&qid=1532425382&sr=8-4&keywords=VR+Headset

and

https://www.amazon.com/EVO-VR-Virtual-Reality-Smartphones/dp/B01JBQ1EUI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1532429583&sr=1-1&keywords=evo+vr&refinements=p_89:EVO

Here are a few pics from the drone. Autel EVO

Thanks

Reactions: lookin48197
I am looking to try out this VR tool in the app. I have a iPhone 7+ and have been looking on amazon for a headset to buy. WOW - so many and not sure which to pick. So confusing. I use glasses for reading so I will need one thats adjustable or one that allows for glasses. I am using the iPhone beta app by autel.

Any ideas or preferences on the EVO? I saw an EVO VR headset. I know its not made by Autel...but it looks like it would look well with this drone. Need some opinions. Really dont want to buy something find out it doesn't work with the EVO. I am into photography and feel this would bring my photography to new heights.

A couple I was looking at are:
https://www.amazon.com/Pansonite-Up...TF8&qid=1532425382&sr=8-4&keywords=VR+Headset

and

https://www.amazon.com/EVO-VR-Virtual-Reality-Smartphones/dp/B01JBQ1EUI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1532429583&sr=1-1&keywords=evo+vr&refinements=p_89:EVO

Here are a few pics from the drone. Autel EVO

Thanks
I have tried goggles and cannot use them. I made myself a photographers hood to fit my transmitter and Ipad. I get the same view as googles but I can get to my screen. I fly all my flights this way. Beats googles hands down.

Attachments

• #1.JPG
    #1.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 42
  • #7.JPG
    #7.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 45
  • #9.JPG
    #9.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: KentA and sfowler39
I have tried goggles and cannot use them. I made myself a photographers hood to fit my transmitter and Ipad. I get the same view as googles but I can get to my screen. I fly all my flights this way. Beats googles hands down.

Interesting idea!!

I'll be using rkyleh's hood soon also. He was kind enough to sell me one. Can't wait!!

Maybe off topic but for those looking to fly fpv you can buy the Yuneec Skyview on Ebay New for $29.95 plus $8.95 shipping. I bought 2. You have to connect via hdmi but still doable.

Maybe off topic but for those looking to fly fpv you can buy the Yuneec Skyview on Ebay New for $29.95 plus $8.95 shipping. I bought 2. You have to connect via hdmi but still doable.

But there isn't an hdmi connection on the controller. How would you connect it then?

But there isn't an hdmi connection on the controller. How would you connect it then?
If you have a tablet with an hdmi port you can plug that into certain goggles like these. Eachine Goggles Two 5 Inches 5.8G Diversity 40CH Raceband HD 1080p FPV Goggles for RC Drone
Simply plug the RC to the tablet then plug the micro hdmi out from the tablet to the goggles. Voila!
The only reason i'm not going to do it is because i'd need to setup on a table so that I can put the tablet on the table, otherwise it would just be way too bulky (ten inch tablet attached to the remote and wear goggles?... nah). I bought rkyleh's photographers hood instead for sale in the classified section of the forum. It's much better since I can actually touch the screen when I need to.

Last edited:
It's a matter of getting a tablet with an HDMI output. I found a Nvidia shield k1 on ebay that works perfectly with the yuneecsI probably should have tried an HDMI adapter for the iPad, but the shield turns out better in the long run as getting an extension to hold it on the tablet on the remote would have been difficult, the one I had just fits it tight but firm, the one I purchased just barely works and doesn't make me feel secure. So look for a Nvidia Shield K1(they are discontinued)now the Shield is like a gaming system, it will work great with the Yuneec Skyview and the Autel EVO remote. One thing I love about using the tablet is that the image is a mirror of the tablet screen so you can see all statuses exactly the same way, I don't know if there is a full screen mode on the Explorer App to remove all telemetry and buttons from the screen, I'll figure that put soon enough, but if there is, the option gives you full immersion.

Nvidia Shield does work well. Though an inexpensive set of VR Goggles (Samsung VR Goggles) come to mind, works well, in conjunction with your cell phone.

Does anyone know if this tablet might be a good replacement for the Nvidia Shield K1?

I use the Dragon Touch X80 8 inch, it has a mini HDMI port. Its cheap and a little buggy but gets the job done.

Dragon Touch X80 8" inch 32GB 64-bit Quad Core Tablet PC Android 6.0 mini HDMI - Walmart.com wl10=Walmart&wl12=267252071_10001021252&wl14=dragon touch tablet walmart&veh=sem

Samsung supports video out over usb for screen mirroring. I have a samsung galaxy note 8 with usb c charge port, and I plug an usb c to hdmi adapter routinely to view pictures on my tv. would that work?

Id have to say no it wont work with the Evo since the Samsung USB port is needed to communicate with the Evo controller via Explorer app and I dont know of any way to share that connection between two devices used for 2 different reasons.
If you get the Autel Flight Deck (when and if its released) then you can connect a second phone or tablet running Explorer app or a monitor over HDMI or goggles with HDMI input... The dragon touch x80 has a dependent mini HDMI out port so its USB port is free to connect to the Evo controller.

Atomx..When you say "a little buggy", what do you mean? Thanks.
Touchscreen doesn't respond with a light touch which could be a good thing, the battery was totally dead when I received it in mail but holding a charge, the HDMI has a tiny bit of lag and some apps have to be side loaded with a down loaded APK file because the Android version is older. Of course any teblet can be updated out of existence, if your the type to install all firmware updates to your aircraft and the newest App is needed to fully utilize the new features then eventually the tablet wont be of any use to your drone. It works well for a tablet that cost less than $100.
I think its just a 1ghz processor so not all apps run smoothly .

ok. Thanks. But I have two followup questions.
First, I don't know what "sideloaded" means.
Secondly, you said not all apps run smoothly, but the apps we would use for flying...do they run smoothly?

ok. Thanks. But I have two followup questions.
First, I don't know what "sideloaded" means.
Secondly, you said not all apps run smoothly, but the apps we would use for flying...do they run smoothly?
I have other older smart phones saved for DJIGo etc and only use Dragon Touch 8 tablet for the Explorer app to keep it's memory use low for better performance. Side loading means installing the Android app manually. Take the Autel Explorer app for example. You can download the app file (. APK) from Autel's web sight without going to Google Play Store. They have info that shows device minimum requirements to run the app. I believe most any device running Android 4.0 or higher can run the Explorer app. Any device that can run Android 4 should have enough memory and processor power to run the app. Im not sure of minimum requirements for the newer Explorer app. Im not running latest firmware so im using the older Explorer app. Running a app that has minimal requirements above your device hardware specs or Android version may not install,(especially from Google Play Store) it may crash often or just respond slowly to menu selections etc. Even if Google Play say your device is not compatible with the app you're trying to install you may be able to search the web for the APK file and side load it.
When installing a Android app APK file manually your Android device will prompt you to change your security settings to allow the install of the side loaded app or 3rd party app what ever the message may say. The Dragon Touch 8 is a cheap tablet I took a chance buying it and not disappointed. Im sure there are others but it's all a roll of the dice. Hope this helps...

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials