Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Found Drone

MattG209

Reaction score
While I was vacationing at the beach I found a drone in some heavy brush. When I remove the battery it says EVO2 Dual. I bought a charger off Amazon and charge the battery and it powers on. But before I spend $300 on a controller I’d like it to have a checked out. I’m in New Jersey and I suggestions? Obviously my biggest concern is water damage.

Thanks
Matt

Attachments

• 7B065930-F936-45B6-BD39-73DC3B164355.jpeg
    7B065930-F936-45B6-BD39-73DC3B164355.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 5CFBCFDE-BC36-4FBC-A801-B2F0D9F7D4CA.jpeg
    5CFBCFDE-BC36-4FBC-A801-B2F0D9F7D4CA.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 31
While I was vacationing at the beach I found a drone in some heavy brush. When I remove the battery it says EVO2 Dual. I bought a charger off Amazon and charge the battery and it powers on. But before I spend $300 on a controller I’d like it to have a checked out. I’m in New Jersey and I suggestions? Obviously my biggest concern is water damage.

Thanks
Matt
And yes I tried ad nauseam to find the owner

Contac Autel and see if it was registered. You should be able to pull the sereal number. Also, youll need to know from Autel if its V1 or V2 before you purchase a controller.

if it powers up and the gimbal self checks and nothing crazy happens then it should be fne. Download a copy of the usen manual. The flashing lights on each arm are programmed to blink in specific patters during startup to signal to the pilot the drones status without need of a controller. Pull up the chart that identifies what each blinking pattern means and start it up from scratch and see what its telling you.

I'd be a little cautious that since it's from NJ down the shore, it mighta fallen offa truck... not so much crashed as undertook an interstate flight to avoid prosecution

Last edited:
Did you record the numerals before they were scraped off this drone? Because nobody buying a Dual for $10K (typically taxpayer money) doesn't display the required FAA registration number.
Did you submit the serial number to the local PD to determine it wasn't stolen or their lost drone (thermal camera used in water rescues to save people from drowning)?
I care, incidentally

Did you record the numerals before they were scraped off this drone? Because nobody buying a Dual for $10K (typically taxpayer money) doesn't display the required FAA registration number.
Did you submit the serial number to the local PD to determine it wasn't stolen or their lost drone (thermal camera used in water rescues to save people from drowning)?
I care, incidentally
Did you even look at the post's picture? It has the 6K payload. It's not a dual.

Did you even look at the post's picture? It has the 6K payload. It's not a dual.
It’s says EVO2 dual right there on the body but do you know what you know more than what it says on the drone itself…((Name Calling )

Attachments

• 80C89FFE-D8A6-4091-BDC2-D4ACA02A44EE.jpeg
    80C89FFE-D8A6-4091-BDC2-D4ACA02A44EE.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MrDronenut
Contac Autel and see if it was registered. You should be able to pull the sereal number. Also, youll need to know from Autel if its V1 or V2 before you purchase a controller.

if it powers up and the gimbal self checks and nothing crazy happens then it should be fne.
From the posted images I can tell it's a V2 release of the Evo 2 Pro. Maybe the payload got switched, then the body can state dual but the dual camera got removed. So basically it's a 6K Pro from the V2 generation.

The Evo 2 from Autel gets registered with an e-mail ID the first time you pair the aircraft with the controller. This is to be verified by Autel for warranty. So technically Autel at least knows something about the first owner of this lost drone if you ask them. Then Autel could send a message to the initial owner.

Last edited:
before I spend $300 on a controller I’d like it to have a checked

You will find a V2 controller on the secondhand market for less for sure.

My main worry would be the condition of that camera. it looks dirty and scratched. The aircraft is robust so it probably can fly. However if the gimbal or the lens got hit hard, that's going to be a price tag of more than the value of a new or secondhand controller.

Reactions: MattG209

Thanks
Matt
Ouch, looked closer at the images and unless you swapped the props already, looks like this aircraft/drone did not crash per say, rather landed where or near you found it. Usually on a crash there will be some damage to props, or even just some cosmetic marks however dont see any. The real ouch is the 6K (e.g. Pro) camera, looks like it did not have a lens cover or UV filter on it which might have protected the lens a bit when it went in to the brush/landed. If the drone had "flown away" and then landed when battery low, the props might have been spinning enough to not crash, however enough to kick up sand and debris. The bad news is the 6K camera is not cheap, otoh, you might find some deals on a used 8K camera, however I would be concerned with any salt water that got in and corrosion to the aircraft. If you decide to not invest any more in it, clean it and sell for parts, good luck.

The 8K cam and gimbal replacement seems to be sold out in the US via regular retail. According to:

It is however still being sold in Germany:

Thanks
Matt
Matt,
It is not a Dual as you have stated it is only a V2 Evo , and it will only bring you BAD KARMA if you have not gone to AUTEL themselves to find the real original owner. Johnno Hennessy Australia.

Thanks
Matt
Autel absolutely has full identifiable information on the owner of this, if it were registered, which it likely was. It sounds like you haven't contacted them yet. Facebook and Craigslist ads rarely get recognized. Being this is the extent you've gone and not even considered reaching out to Autel, especially since this aircraft is regulated by the FAA and requires registration and therefore an FAA Airmen Cert as it falls between .55 - 55 lb range, you have done minimal work to "try" and return this aircraft.

I've lived my entire life on the shore you vacation at. Considering max range of these aircraft is multiple miles in that area (the shoreline has minimal obstructions to RC other than wifi and towers) and it takes sometimes hours to drive that distance on the shore, you probably recovered it before the owner was able to drive out to the beach and recover it themselves. The PIC likely forgot to reset their home coordinates and an automated emergency landing was made where you found it. Good to know the tourists and Bennies trash our beaches, clog up the roads, and steal our drones too.....

What a wonderful first post on the Autel forums haha glad I signed up.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox Fader

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles