Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flying without Data?

bryanhill

Reaction score
Will I be able to use the Evo without data on the connected device, a wifi only tablet? Thanks!

I made a phone sized template out of wood and attached velcro to it and the Ipad. A bit cumbersome.... I feel this size tablet/device is a bit cumbersome and heavy. I wish there was some way to attach the lanyard to this setup....

Will I be able to use the Evo without data on the connected device, a wifi only tablet? Thanks!
Not with full functionality. Autel responded thus:

You can certainly fly the Evo without a mobile device but you would lose all smart flight modes. You would not have access to Waypoints, Orbit, Dynamic Track, VR, or Viewpoint modes.

You will be able to change all basic flight control and camera settings but outside of that you will only be able to fly the Evo in Standard mode.

The Evo works with our Autel Explorer app which is not available for MacOS only for iOS or Android.

That being said, you do not need to get a mobile device with a cellular connection. You can buy a phone or tablet that only runs on WiFi, in fact the iPad that Apple released back in spring of this year is a relatively inexpensive option and would have a familiar feel to your Mac. All you would need to do is be on your WiFi to download our Autel Explorer app but other than that you do not need to have any sort of mobile data connection to run your Evo or any of the smart flight modes!

I completely understand there may be some sight frustration in having to use a mobile device because they can often times be just as complex if not more complex than our desktops but for the time being that is the only way to access our smart flight modes.

Best,

Alejandro R.
Customer Support
AUTEL ROBOTICS

I think the original post was referring to data in the sense of a phone connection? I assumed he has the Explorer installed on the device. Could be wrong....

I think the original post was referring to data in the sense of a phone connection? I assumed he has the Explorer installed on the device. Could be wrong....
I was thinking the same thing and if that is the situation he can absolutely fly without wifi. Just need to cache the maps. The explorer App should still function the same with our without wifi.

Yes I do have the explorer, just wanted to know if the device will need to be on the internet...

Yes I do have the explorer, just wanted to know if the device will need to be on the internet...
I fly with a tablet on my XSP with zero data and everything works fine. All I do is cache the maps before I go out so that I will have map data. All other functions still work perfectly also. Not sure if it's the same with the EVO but I would assume it is.

Not with full functionality. Autel responded thus:
You completely misread what Autel said to you. Re read it. It says without a smart device (android or IOS) you have no access to those functions but with an attached device you do. AND you don't need wifi with an attached device.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I made a phone sized template out of wood and attached velcro to it and the Ipad. A bit cumbersome.... I feel this size tablet/device is a bit cumbersome and heavy. I wish there was some way to attach the lanyard to this setup....
Can we see a picture??

7/16 plywood 3"x6" sanded smooth. Was a prototype but it worked out so well I just never did a follow up. If I were to make another one it might be a tad thinner.

Attachments

• EVOTABLET.jpg
    EVOTABLET.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 33
Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I fly with a tablet on my XSP with zero data and everything works fine. All I do is cache the maps before I go out so that I will have map data. All other functions still work perfectly also. Not sure if it's the same with the EVO but I would assume it is.

So, how do we cache the maps? Thanks.....

One of the nice things about the Anafi App it has map caching as a option. Just go to where you want to fly in the map and press the button to store the maps of that area. Easy-peasy

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Football Bat