Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flying with VR goggles

gasquetmike

Reaction score
I have been posting questions about using VR with the Evo on here and some Facebook Evo sites. I'm amazed how few people fly using VR? I flew over 205 flights with my bebop2 ,all using VR. I have wanted to be a pilot since i was 5.( Im 63 now) I soloed fix wing at 20, helicopter at 28 and owned a powered parachute at 42. All were very expensive and short lived. Flying my bebop with VR gave me the feeling of flying more than anything I have ever done besides real flight. And its safer and cheaper.Flying Vr im always in the cockpit. Right stick is always right, left left forward forward and back back. Right rotation is right and left left. I not only feel like a pilot in a aircraft, but a movie director too. i can see exactly what im filming, can get close to objects. Another reason i love VR is theres no sun glare on the screen. I hate that. maybe its my old eyes but I have a hell of a time seeing a phone screen in direct sunlight. My bebops VR quality, what i saw through the goggles was very bad. That and the video quality of the camera were the reasons i got an Evo.The big question I had about the Evo was how good is what you see through the goggles? no one could answer that so i took a chance. The Vr quality of the Evo is beautiful, almost as good as what you see with the naked eye. I found some VR goggles on ebay that are just like the bebop2 powers. There inexpensive, light, and work great. The Explorer apps VR is good. theres a display showing all telemetry, you can remove it if you want for a full camera view. The one issue im having is the headtracking. I cant get a smooth video due to the constant jumping up and down. Its impossible to keep your head steady enough. Im having to edit the crap out of my videos to remove any jitters. I sure hope thay give us an option to turn it off soon. And for that one "by the book" guy out there...YES..I ALWAYS fly Vr with a spotter...even when im 20 miles up in the mountains...

Attachments

• 20180126_114924.jpg
    20180126_114924.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
  • 20180126_115003.jpg
    20180126_115003.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: Nightbat2
Are you putting your phone in the VR goggles case? And if you are.....I assume it’s an Android phone since VR doesn’t work on IOS. I wanted to have a VR experience SO BAD and no EVO owners had any real solutions that I spent $1300 on a DJI Mavic Pro and DJI goggles just so I could fly with a good VR experience. And don’t apologize for flying FPV. All people on the internet that fly their drone 1+ miles away and claim it is line of sight ( which really means IN sight ) are LYING! Anyone who can “see” a drone over 300 yds. away is being dishonest.

Reactions: gasquetmike
Are you putting your phone in the VR goggles case? And if you are.....I assume it’s an Android phone since VR doesn’t work on IOS. I wanted to have a VR experience SO BAD and no EVO owners had any real solutions that I spent $1300 on a DJI Mavic Pro and DJI goggles just so I could fly with a good VR experience. And don’t apologize for flying FPV. All people on the internet that fly their drone 1+ miles away and claim it is line of sight ( which really means IN sight ) are LYING! Anyone who can “see” a drone over 300 yds. away is being dishonest.
yes and yes and i agree...lol...i almost bought a dji but i hate their no fly zones...

I have been posting questions about using VR with the Evo on here and some Facebook Evo sites. I'm amazed how few people fly using VR? I flew over 205 flights with my bebop2 ,all using VR. I have wanted to be a pilot since i was 5.( Im 63 now) I soloed fix wing at 20, helicopter at 28 and owned a powered parachute at 42. All were very expensive and short lived. Flying my bebop with VR gave me the feeling of flying more than anything I have ever done besides real flight. And its safer and cheaper.Flying Vr im always in the cockpit. Right stick is always right, left left forward forward and back back. Right rotation is right and left left. I not only feel like a pilot in a aircraft, but a movie director too. i can see exactly what im filming, can get close to objects. Another reason i love VR is theres no sun glare on the screen. I hate that. maybe its my old eyes but I have a hell of a time seeing a phone screen in direct sunlight. My bebops VR quality, what i saw through the goggles was very bad. That and the video quality of the camera were the reasons i got an Evo.The big question I had about the Evo was how good is what you see through the goggles? no one could answer that so i took a chance. The Vr quality of the Evo is beautiful, almost as good as what you see with the naked eye. I found some VR goggles on ebay that are just like the bebop2 powers. There inexpensive, light, and work great. The Explorer apps VR is good. theres a display showing all telemetry, you can remove it if you want for a full camera view. The one issue im having is the headtracking. I cant get a smooth video due to the constant jumping up and down. Its impossible to keep your head steady enough. Im having to edit the crap out of my videos to remove any jitters. I sure hope thay give us an option to turn it off soon. And for that one "by the book" guy out there...YES..I ALWAYS fly Vr with a spotter...even when im 20 miles up in the mountains...

Have been thinking about getting some cheap Amazon VR goggles for this experience... what do you think?

What kind do you have again?

As for the up and down issue, are you talking about VR mode on and off...? You can switch back between this and set gimbal mode... wouldn't this resolve your issue with the VR?

Have been thinking about getting some cheap Amazon VR goggles for this experience... what do you think?

What kind do you have again?

As for the up and down issue, are you talking about VR mode on and off...? You can switch back between this and set gimbal mode... wouldn't this resolve your issue with the VR?
I have some goggles i found on ebay. they are light and work good. adjusting the gimbal doesnt effect the jumpiness , there is no way around it yet but ive been told autel is aware of it and hopefully will fix it soon.i have found if i keep pressure on the scroll button all the way up i can fly without the twitches, but your finger gets tired and the sec you release the up pressure the gimbal jumps to where your head is positioned...frustrating...

Attachments

• 20180126_114347.jpg
    20180126_114347.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20180126_114751.jpg
    20180126_114751.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 4
I love my EVO for photography, but when I want a really nice VR experience, my go to system is my Mavic Pro and DJI goggles. Autel can’t compete with this presently. But I hope Autel is listening. A quality VR screen ( not some crappy box you have to stuff your ANDROID ONLY cell phone into ), would really be appreciated........or at least a readily available HDMI output from the EVO controller. Please Autel!

I have some goggles i found on ebay. they are light and work good. adjusting the gimbal doesnt effect the jumpiness , there is no way around it yet but ive been told autel is aware of it and hopefully will fix it soon.i have found if i keep pressure on the scroll button all the way up i can fly without the twitches, but your finger gets tired and the sec you release the up pressure the gimbal jumps to where your head is positioned...frustrating...

What brand?

Been wondering whether these could be adapted to work as FPV. Have asked the company and await an answer.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy