Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flying the Autel EVO 2 – First impressions

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
Yesterday morning we got up early and instead of going back to CES, Paul from Drone U and I went to an area right outside the controlled airspace of Las Vegas to fly the all-new Autel EVO 2 with the 8K camera. Here are our first impressions. Keep in mind that we were flying this foldable quadcopter with a beta version of the app. Autel Robotics told us that they will keep updating both the software and firmware before launching this drone by the end of January for $1,445.

Read the full store here:

Specs look great. Drone looks kind of ugly. I’ll take ugly if it does the job.

Maybe the obstacle avoidance is better and the following is better as well. Eh. Still undecided whether to upgrade or not. The FLIR is probably $2500 I bet. I was really wanting that one.

Can't see myself upgrading. Maybe if my 4K OLED was an 8K OLED... but those are even more expensive. Still... at $1445 I just might have to sell the Evo and pay the difference.

Can't see myself upgrading. Maybe if my 4K OLED was an 8K OLED... but those are even more expensive. Still... at $1445 I just might have to sell the Evo and pay the difference.
I may get one now that I will get my taxes at the end of the month

I might as we keep the EVO1. Save for the EVO2. Everyone will be selling their EVO1 and the price will drop a lot. Heck, some on here looks to be selling for $600-$800 now probably drop soon. I spent a little over $1000 on mine.

Reactions: TravisPNW
Will cost over AU$2000. I will wait until all the creases are ironed out. Would hate to buy from the first production run, only to potentially watch it fly over the horizon on its own. Also, filming scorched earth in 8K would not be pretty!

Specs look great. Drone looks kind of ugly. I’ll take ugly if it does the job.
I disagree I think it’s a sexy looking drone is head over heels better looking than the evolve .The color is great too it’ll help with VLOS

One big take away from the DroneDJ article.
  • We need to dial in control settings and camera gimbal settings for smoother operation, but this may also be a result of using the beta app.
This is still a weak point for the first EVO. It works fine if you just go in one direction and takes some practice for a change in direction. Almost impossible for multiple changes in direction, e.g. following a creek bed, canyon, etc. If active track or mission planning performed well you could use that as a work around but they don't. If you can't get smooth cinematic movements I'll save my money.

I ordered the Skydio 2 before I saw this Evo 2.
Yes, I read about the "leaked" specs, so even ordering the Skydio 2, the Evo was in the back of my mind.
I already have the Evo 1 and the video is better than almost all my other drones. The only exception being the P4Padv, and it's close.
The EVO 2 has blown me away. I will never buy another DJI drone, as long as they have all the nanny controls in their software. It's not required and it is very limiting for flying, even if you have all the correct permissions to fly. I will not send a message to China to have them unlock my USA flight area.
All my DJI drones are fully unlocked. Having the ablity to do this helps, but no more DJI for me. That is the reason for me not purchasing the Mavic 2 pro, and the fact that they screwed the 1" sensor with no 4k/60, despite the fact that they could have released that feature. Not for me.
The Evo 2 hits all the right specs and then some. Removable camera. That is a win for sure.
Once it is ready for orders, I will be jumping in line as fast as I can type.
Anyone want to buy a Skydio 2? Check for my listing on Ebay....LOL.

Reactions: davery87
I ordered the Skydio 2 before I saw this Evo 2.
Yes, I read about the "leaked" specs, so even ordering the Skydio 2, the Evo was in the back of my mind.
I already have the Evo 1 and the video is better than almost all my other drones. The only exception being the P4Padv, and it's close.
The EVO 2 has blown me away. I will never buy another DJI drone, as long as they have all the nanny controls in their software. It's not required and it is very limiting for flying, even if you have all the correct permissions to fly. I will not send a message to China to have them unlock my USA flight area.
All my DJI drones are fully unlocked. Having the ablity to do this helps, but no more DJI for me. That is the reason for me not purchasing the Mavic 2 pro, and the fact that they screwed the 1" sensor with no 4k/60, despite the fact that they could have released that feature. Not for me.
The Evo 2 hits all the right specs and then some. Removable camera. That is a win for sure.
Once it is ready for orders, I will be jumping in line as fast as I can type.
Anyone want to buy a Skydio 2? Check for my listing on Ebay....LOL.

Looking on the Skydiopilots forum there has been some problems coming up that people really never gave any thought to when they crash which several have from the posts I have read over there they cannot be repaired for lack of any kind of parts and getting warranty from them seems a tad bit difficult as to where they seem to consider safe flying areas.
For the price they want for the Skydio I would most certainly wait for the EVO2.

Has anyone heard a date of release for the EVO 2 Pro with the 1” sensor?
Or a price schedule for the individual gymbal/camera packages?

I might as we keep the EVO1. Save for the EVO2. Everyone will be selling their EVO1 and the price will drop a lot. Heck, some on here looks to be selling for $600-$800 now probably drop soon. I spent a little over $1000 on mine.

I agree... and I most definitely won't give mine away. It's basically new with less than 6 hours of flight time since I purchased last summer. I'll keep it and buy the Evo 2 as a second drone before I give away my Evo.

Reactions: PoorMoney
Looking on the Skydiopilots forum there has been some problems coming up that people really never gave any thought to when they crash which several have from the posts I have read over there they cannot be repaired for lack of any kind of parts and getting warranty from them seems a tad bit difficult as to where they seem to consider safe flying areas.
For the price they want for the Skydio I would most certainly wait for the EVO2.
I won't be selling my S2 for an Evo 2. Lets face it, all drones have issues when you adopt early. Especially when you adopt early from a company as small as Skydio. The Evo had it's share of issues as well to go along with all the empty promises that Autel left on the table. It's nice that the Evo 2 will finally get that 1" sensor, but I'm gonna wait to see if those heavy stats add up.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d