Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flying My Evo at the Top of a Cliff!

Flytechguy

Reaction score

Check this out first Evo flight. Had trouble with the obstacle avoidance. Hard to get used to it but I eventually got the hang of it. Skip to 1:10 for the footage pretty sweet!

Nice video! -- but if this is truly a "wildlife preserve", why are you flying there? Of course this is all different If you had obtained a permit to fly here - that would have been nice to see in the video if you did; instead all I see are blurred out license plate tags...

It does not appear to be a park managed by US Fish and Wildlife -- it seems to be managed by NY State Parks. So this is a "state park" at minimum; and may not fit the definition of a wildlife preserve. I see it listed as a "management area/zone".

Are they not as strict in NY as other state park systems around the country?

In North Carolina - there are many State parks -- you can not fly in or take-off out of any of them. Many local county parks have adopted the same "no-fly" rules.

National (Federal) parks are definitely -- a no fly zone! Here in North Carolina for example -- that means we fly nowhere in the Blue Ridge Mountain National Park.. and that's a lot of beautiful video that could be had there too!

Just think before you fly -- before ALL recreational flyers are grounded! Too many people are not paying attention that rules even exist or willing to follow the rules at all.

I messed up once myself -- not paying attention to all these "extra" rules -- now I know it is more than checking the FAA website to see if it is an OK area to fly in. Someone else may have a different opinion on the matter.

This would be the stance if managed by US Fish and Wildlife:

This is the stance in a National (Federal) Park:

This is the stance in a North Carolina State Park:

Nice video! -- but if this is truly a "wildlife preserve", why are you flying there? Of course this is all different If you had obtained a permit to fly here - that would have been nice to see in the video if you did; instead all I see are blurred out license plate tags...

It does not appear to be a park managed by US Fish and Wildlife -- it seems to be managed by NY State Parks. So this is a "state park" at minimum; and may not fit the definition of a wildlife preserve. I see it listed as a "management area/zone".

Are they not as strict in NY as other state park systems around the country?

In North Carolina - there are many State parks -- you can not fly in or take-off out of any of them. Many local county parks have adopted the same "no-fly" rules.

National (Federal) parks are definitely -- a no fly zone! Here in North Carolina for example -- that means we fly nowhere in the Blue Ridge Mountain National Park.. and that's a lot of beautiful video that could be had there too!

Just think before you fly -- before ALL recreational flyers are grounded! Too many people are not paying attention that rules even exist or willing to follow the rules at all.

I messed up once myself -- not paying attention to all these "extra" rules -- now I know it is more than checking the FAA website to see if it is an OK area to fly in. Someone else may have a different opinion on the matter.

This would be the stance if managed by US Fish and Wildlife:
View attachment 4040

This is the stance in a National (Federal) Park:

View attachment 4042

This is the stance in a North Carolina State Park:

View attachment 4041
Fortunately I did check with an app who partnered up with the FAA called Kittyhawk. I do not fly in restricted areas as I am Part 107 certified as well as have my drones registered with the FAA for commercial and recreational flights. I must have misspoke in the vlog stating it was a reserve and when I meant management. Again I am not a hobbiest, I fly commercially for events and real-estate, I just started this Youtube to try and draw more fans to share my beautiful pictures that I get as well. I would never intentionally and knowingly fly in restricted areas to ruin it for the other hobbiests out there. And the blurred licenses plates should not be a problem as that is privacy to the car I was in as well as the cars that were at the park. I will be sure to triple check next time, I appreciate the concern. Make sure to check out that app too that is partnered with the FAA to show you restrictions on parks, areas, and airports.

Last edited:
Here is another link as well that I thoroughly read to insure that droning (as an activity) was not prohibited

Unless someone stole the NFZ signs I would say flying a UAV where you where is permitted. Any parks that restrict flying UAV's have NFZ signs everywhere. You would have to be blind not to see them.

Reactions: Flytechguy
Thanks, I did also go up to the Map of the park where everything was written on policies restrictions etc.. and there was no NFZ sign.

Reactions: UnRanged
Thanks, I did also go up to the Map of the park where everything was written on policies restrictions etc.. and there was no NFZ sign.

Welcome to the community that second guesses the intelligence and actions of every other member.... It's like having your mother in-law hiding behind every screen name... Were you wearing clean underwear while you were flying? DON'T! Because if you have an accident, you don't want to ruin your clean drawers. Wear something you'll feel comfortable tossing into the bushes.
:confused:
Oh, and nice video!

Reactions: Flytechguy
It's funny how I searched the park system's website before making my comment last night.

Very simple. keyword: drone ? I was simply trying to get you to do the same by showing examples of my state rules and the National (Federal) rules. ?

I do not like these rules as much as anyone else -- they are there and are not that hard to find. Looks like some of these rules have been on the books both before you and I were even born -- these I found date back to the 60's and 70's -- and were last updated in 2015, as if previous language about model aircraft was not clear enough.

I was thinking man! I want to go to New York on a trip and take my Evo if they are really that lenient!
As I tried to hint last night, they are not lenient -- and people either:
(A)do not know this, (B) are unwilling to really do their homework before taking flight or (C) just do not care.

The Office of New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation has a rule on this -- UAS are forbidden in any New York State Park -- without a permit. Doesn't matter if you are 107 or not. The rule here applies to 336 and 107.

I want to become 107 now -- if that's the idea behind being "certified" by the FAA -- that you can fly just because the FAA map says so!

I am not your wife - girlfriend or mother-in-law -- just someone pointing out a simple a mistake before you keep going -- misinformed -- have a confrontation with a Park Ranger and/or get slapped with civil punishment and fines.

I keep reading that the laws/rules/regulations of the governing bodies in New York -- are not clear on "where" you can fly your drone. The below rules/regulations seem clear enough to me...

Here's a links to the official OPRHP rules/regulations and UAS application:

Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation Regulations 9 NYCRR Title 9, Subtitle I Pages 5-6, 95-96

Regulating Unmanned Aircraft Systems Pages 1-5

SAMPLE APPLICATION AND PERMIT FOR USE OF AN UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS (UAS) Pages 1-4

Attachments

• 1554148187067.png
    1554148187067.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 2
Just to do some research I used the link and email address last week from post #5 that Flytechguy provided to ask if UAV's are allowed. The response was a very short one with really nothing to back it up and still makes me wonder why there is nothing on the books that actually point to UAV use.

"
While UAV are not specifically addressed in the Wildlife Management Area regulations, they are generally considered a motorized vehicle and thus prohibited anywhere other than roadways unless the area is posted otherwise. It is also unlawful to use an UAV to disturb or harass wildlife.

Michael R. Wasilco
Regional Wildlife Manager, Division of Fish and Wildlife

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation

6274 E. Avon-Lima Rd., Avon, NY 14414
P: (585)226-5460 | F: (585) 226-6323 | [email protected]

www.dec.ny.gov | | "

Reactions: thomasr
I ended up emailing as well to find this same thing out. I did research before flying to but, thank you Agustine

"
While UAV are not specifically addressed in the Wildlife Management Area regulations, they are generally considered a motorized vehicle and thus prohibited anywhere other than roadways unless the area is posted otherwise. It is also unlawful to use an UAV to disturb or harass wildlife.

Michael R. Wasilco

www.dec.ny.gov | | "

So... Only fly when the really nice and informed Bureaucrat is on duty... And NEVER harass wildlife... LOL. So many grey areas for the lawyers to make money off of they might have to get a Part 107 to stay legal...

I know people use those off road electric wheel chairs to hunt,fish and just get out doors to be with nature. I guess they are banded also as it has a motor also.

Just to do some research I used the link and email address last week from post #5 that Flytechguy provided to ask if UAV's are allowed. The response was a very short one with really nothing to back it up and still makes me wonder why there is nothing on the books that actually point to UAV use.

"

Michael R. Wasilco

www.dec.ny.gov | | "

The only thing I am confused about is all of this "wildlife" wording. I understand these parks were part of a Wildlife Management Area, but they do not appear to carry "wildlife refuge" status.

So I do not understand their response about disturbing the wildlife. I thought it had to be a park designated as such -- to get this protections. Otherwise it's just a park. In my research on these parks in this area -- they are merely State Parks. These were the only ones I found listed as refuges.

Or does this means Federal and State agencies can both dictate what is considered a wildlife refuge?

IMO -- any government agency that wishes to control who flies a drone and from where -- needs to get their acts together.

Like the park I flew in -- that turned out to be a NO NO -- where's the updated sign with clear regulations? lol That's all I am saying and asking on the matter.

If it doesn't say anything about no-flying -- and it turns out there is in fact no-flying -- something just doesn't add up. It's almost as if they intentionally want someone to get caught here -- to set a precedent.

Last edited:
The only thing I am confused about is all of this "wildlife" wording. I understand these parks were part of a Wildlife Management Area, but they do not appear to carry "wildlife refuge" status.

So I do not understand their response about disturbing the wildlife. I thought it had to be a park designated as such -- to get this protections. Otherwise it's just a park.

If it doesn't say anything about no-flying -- and it turns out there is in fact no-flying -- something just doesn't add up. It's almost as if they intentionally want someone to get caught here -- to set a precedent.

It is illegal to use a UAV to harass wildlife. No matter where they live. However, if you do it on a Wildlife refuge or preserve.. It'll potentially cost you more. I have a very special place inside me for animals... My stomach.

0d8baccdfe9f3ca7d931c390bb345bab--mashed-potatoes-funny-billboards.jpg

It is illegal to use a UAV to harass wildlife. No matter where they live. However, if you do it on a Wildlife refuge or preserve.. It'll potentially cost you more. I have a very special place inside me for animals... My stomach.

0d8baccdfe9f3ca7d931c390bb345bab--mashed-potatoes-funny-billboards.jpg

So what you are saying to my comment is Federal and State both can claim a reserve or refuge?

No one is speaking of harassing the wildlife here -- that is just an assumption of most people if you are flying UAV around wildlife -- that you must be harassing them.

The rules of these places aren't clear. I thought Federal refuges were the official refuges -- and all others are just state parks or whomever they belong to.

Status is what I am trying to determine -- if you fly in state designated "preserve" -- is this the same as flying in a Federally designated "refuge"?

So what you are saying to my comment is Federal and State both can claim a reserve or refuge?

No one is speaking of harassing the wildlife here -- that is just an assumption of most people if you are flying UAV around wildlife -- that you must be harassing them.

The rules of these places aren't clear. I thought Federal refuges were the official refuges -- and all others are just state parks or whomever they belong to.

Status is what I am trying to determine -- if you fly in state designated "preserve" -- is this the same as flying in a Federally designated "refuge"?

It all falls under the U.S Department of the interior at some point.
Who Manages Public Lands for Recreation
Even State maintained and managed wildlife areas fall under their jurisdiction. At the bottom of any signage you will U.S Department of the Interior, or National Park Service or U.S Fish and Wildlife... They control all state and federal lands and any land with natural resources of significant historical value... Local Towns, Counties or Providences may have local parks devoid of state or federal funding that do not have to apply their "rules".. But must follow suit.
I stand by the Mashed Potatoes comment. Animals are delicious! Well... Some.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller