Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flying drone in Canada as a foreigner/tourist

Fly2C

Reaction score
Hi guys just wanted to know. As a tourist/foreigner, am I not able to fly a drone in Canada?

I heard that the basic and the advanced license exam will only be allowed for the Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident.
And I also "Canada is currently not accepting SFOC applications from visitors that are looking to fly their drone recreationally. This does not apply to visitors who are requesting an SFOC for commercial operations. This temporary restriction will be re-evaluated in January 2021."

Then how can I fly my drone(Evo 2 Pro) in Canada as a visitor/tourist?

Any information will be a lot of help. Thank you!

I just left Canada. Only citizens of Canada can take the Advanced or Basic exams. As a visitor, you can apply for an SFOC (Special Flight Operation Certificate), but a couple of months ago, Transport Canada put out that they will not accept any more “visitor” request until Jan 2021.

If you are operating “commercially”, you can still apply and they will grant it after review of what operations you will be doing.

Fell free to PM me and I can give you examples of what I submitted to get mine.

See this:

Last edited:
Reactions: Fly2C
For others asking the same question:

1. The first thing was to download the SFOC doc from Transport Canada:
https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/5/forms-formulaires/download/26-0835_BO_PX

2. Fill in all blocks pertaining to yourself and operation. If something does not apply put "N/A" in the box.

3. Complete the Checklist for SFOC (RDIMS 15086316) (CAR 903.01(C) -- I have not found a place to download this. It was emailed to me by a rep at Transport Canada.
4. I gathered and scanned ALL supporting documents for MY operations:

-US Passport - (Mandatory)
-Part 107 License - (If Available) (If you have recently completed your recurrent test, attach a copy of that also)
-Any US Daylight Waiver (107.29), US Airspace Authorizations
-Approved Canadian Ground School Certificate (TP 15263) - There are some that offer online certification (Mandatory)
-US Drone registration certificates for the aircraft(s) you will be using in Canada - (If Available). Go here to print those or save as PDFs --> FAADroneZone

Everyone will require different documents depending on YOUR current qualifications.

The above documents are for BASIC operations. If you wish to do advance operations you will have to provide a copy of your appointment to meet with a Flight Reviewer as well as all the above documents. The SFOC will be issued with a condition added in it that it is not valid unless a Flight Review passing certificate is accessible upon request.

I held 2 SFOCs while there. Things added over time were the "SFOC checklist" . It was not required the first time I did this process 2018. 2019 did.
It was emailed to me from Transport Canada after I submitted my SFOC request and supporting documents. They did not require a passport copy in 2018 either. 2019 did.

Once you've reviewed your docs, attach them in an email and send to:
[email protected]

The body of my email read:
"Attached is a request for SFOC for foreign pilot operation. I've also attached a copy of my US certificate and other FAA approved operational waivers that I have been granted. I've also attached my certificate from an authorized Canadian TP15263 provider and registration certificates for my aircraft. I hope that they may assist with your decision."

You will get a response saying they received your documents, but it will take possibly 10-30 days for an SFOC to be approved.

I went through these guys for my Canadian Ground School Certificate

If you provide me with a PM I can send you a "practice" SFOC application and the SFOC Checklist.

Again, you must be conducting "commercial, work, educational" ops. Not "recreational".

Good day all!!!

Reactions: Ansia and Tufargon

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials