Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flying Across Buckhead Atlanta with Evo 2 Pro on a January Day

Interesting, I assume you got authorization to fly there.
what is it about this place that you observed in the video to make you say this about getting authorization?

eta: I don't see the drone flying too high in restricted airspace, is that what you are referring to?

Last edited:
Pretty close to that controlled airspace. Have you looked at the "B4UFly" app, or "Skywatch?"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210131-101252_B4UFLY.jpg
    Screenshot_20210131-101252_B4UFLY.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 5
sure it is near or within controlled airspace but thousands of yt videos are in controlled airspace and nobody questions if you got authorization. these days anybody can get laanc (where available) and therefore, nobody asks because it's a given (or maybe not but only the faa cares).

if the question is "Interesting, I assume you got [LAANC] authorization to fly there" then I stand correct but I'm asking because it sounds like the question is "nobody flies there so surely you got [some sort of special] authorization to fly there or fly like that."

perhaps this video is connected because it does have some dubious flying:

I asked the question and looked at the airspace completely out of curiosity about the whole airspace clearance subject. Are people using the system (LAANC)? What is the communities opinion of the system? Sure, the 107 guys are using it, but they're probably flying with insurance too. What about the rec flyers though? Those are the ones that I'm interested in regarding their relationship to the whole LAANC process, because they're the ones that are probably going to go tooling through somebodies airspace and not know. How familiar with airspace requirements are rec flyers? I'm not calling anybody out, but it is a topic I'm interested in and this particular video is an excellent example to discuss whether or not people are using the system.

recreational flyers must use laanc when flying in controlled airspace, it's the law. I am a recreational flyer and I use it all the time (since I live in controlled airspace). not all airports are laanc-capable but plenty are (mine came online in September) and at this point in time, I'm going to assume the entire process is 100% up to speed with this last wave. if you live in controlled airspace and you cannot get laanc as a recreational flyer, you are prohibited from flying.

do most recreational flyers know this? absolutely not. I would estimate 75% of recreational flyers don't bother to get a laanc authorization prior to flying in controlled airspace. many assume if your drone is under 250g, you don't need it. others assume if you are not within 5 miles of an airport, you don't need it. and then there are people who think if you stay low in attitude where planes don't "fly", you don't need it. all incorrect.

even with thousands of yt video posted, it isn't common for anyone to ask if you got laanc before flight. not only is it impossible to prove by the internet but also it's irrelevant since laanc only means something to the faa (ordinary citizens have no concern) based on time and flight characteristics that you cannot ascertain in a video. if someone is questioning how high you fly or if you are flying in restricted airspace or you are flying where a waiver is normally required, then I can understand the ask. just because a drone is flying around tall buildings or over strip malls or cars in the parking lot doesn't mean you should question someone about authorization since that's not the reason why laanc authorization exists. if you saw a helicopter go by or you saw a runway in the background, maybe.

my only question is as a recreational flyer, how do you fly up to the top of a building more than 400 feet high, how is that possible? if you are part 107, there might be some exceptions, I dunno. but for recreational, is it possible? I don't think so.

recreational flyers must use laanc when flying in controlled airspace, it's the law. I am a recreational flyer and I use it all the time (since I live in controlled airspace). not all airports are laanc-capable but plenty are (mine came online in September) and at this point in time, I'm going to assume the entire process is 100% up to speed with this last wave. if you live in controlled airspace and you cannot get laanc as a recreational flyer, you are prohibited from flying.

do most recreational flyers know this? absolutely not. I would estimate 75% of recreational flyers don't bother to get a laanc authorization prior to flying in controlled airspace. many assume if your drone is under 250g, you don't need it. others assume if you are not within 5 miles of an airport, you don't need it. and then there are people who think if you stay low in attitude where planes don't "fly", you don't need it. all incorrect.

even with thousands of yt video posted, it isn't common for anyone to ask if you got laanc before flight. not only is it impossible to prove by the internet but also it's irrelevant since laanc only means something to the faa (ordinary citizens have no concern) based on time and flight characteristics that you cannot ascertain in a video. if someone is questioning how high you fly or if you are flying in restricted airspace or you are flying where a waiver is normally required, then I can understand the ask. just because a drone is flying around tall buildings or over strip malls or cars in the parking lot doesn't mean you should question someone about authorization since that's not the reason why laanc authorization exists. if you saw a helicopter go by or you saw a runway in the background, maybe.

my only question is as a recreational flyer, how do you fly up to the top of a building more than 400 feet high, how is that possible? if you are part 107, there might be some exceptions, I dunno. but for recreational, is it possible? I don't think so.

Ok based on this conversation I now understand that I as a hobbyist can only fly to a max of 400 AGL in permitted airspace. I was told that hobbyist could fly 400 ft above a structure when they are within 400 ft of the structure but now see that only applies to Part 107. I thank you all for educating me and will be sure not to ever do that again unless I get a Part 107. Thanks for the questioning it definitely educated me in an area I obviously lacked true understanding.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy