Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

first mission flight failed, second fail in different way.

MichaeMuni

Reaction score
So I went out for my first mission today. Placed a POI and then place waypoints in a circle around the POI. Linked all waypoints to the POI so the drone will face the POI at all times. I launched the drone, if flew the mission and I was a little confused as to why it was pausing at each waypoint since I selected "Fly Over" instead of hover. Packed up the drone went home and check the SD card. I set waypoint 1 to "Start Recording" and set last waypoint to "Stop Recording. I only had 1 clip on the SD card and it was 17 seconds long and was only from starting waypoint to waypoint 2 (mission had 16 waypoints).

Flight number two, same thing happened as in in the first flight, at waypoint 2 it stopped recording. I immediately hit record and the drone flew the rest of the mission while recording. Packed up and headed home to check footage. Except for the pausing at each waypoint the first half of the mission went as expected. However the second half of the mission the drone did not point at the POI, it just slowly drifted away from the poi.

what gives? The Evo 2 Pro has been out for a while, these are mistakes I would expect from a pre-release drone.

im not the mission expert but I have run a few so I know what I've done. others have dug into the mission pretty deep so they'll be able to give you the specifics.

the evo 2 will stop at each waypoint, I have no idea how to keep it moving smoothly and I'm pretty sure no one else does either. all I can tell you is try to reduce the number of waypoints to minimize the number of stops or else get really good with post and smooth it out.

nothing is more frustrating than failure to start/stop recording and I know many people have decided they can watch the recording and if it stops, hit the button and start it up again. for me, that start/stop recording selection is not flawless so I don't use it during missions. instead I start my recording manually at the start of the mission and I let it roll throughout....there are no start/stop settings during the mission....I don't use those options. and the end when the drone lands....stop recording.

hope this helps.

Thanks , the idea behind having it start recording on first waypoint is so I can take several missions over time and the start position is exactly the same without any extra editing to line up the clips.

Thanks , the idea behind having it start recording on first waypoint is so I can take several missions over time and the start position is exactly the same without any extra editing to line up the clips.
ok that's a good point. I believe there is a bug somewhere because too often the start/stop recording didn't work correctly. let me know if you find out something more.

OK, so I threw my old mission out and started from scratch. No longer am I trying to attempt a circular waypoint mission. I have changed to a square mission with only 5 waypoints. I set each waypoint camera action to "Start Recording".
End result was 4 clips that I can splice together, there is still a slight stop at each waypoint but it doesnt seem to be for as long.

One new issue that I found. lets say my done is flying north to waypoint 1. Waypoint 1 is set to point south at POI1 and start recording.
The result I get is the first clip starts out as a blur of the drone rotating to POI 1 and then moving on to waypoint 2.

Why are they starting recording before the drone is in position at waypoint 1 and facing the correct direction for that POI?

muni, to be fair I have gotten start/stop recording to work but it was unreliable and so I stopped using it. can't afford to scrap a mission with 20 waypoints and a dozen pois once it gets fouled up. I tried troubleshooting a mission gone awry but after a lot of work, just gave up and decided to manual control. I understand the need to have precise events as you mentioned earlier and to your second new issue, the whole mission concept is simply too imprecise and flakey to be taken seriously. which is why I have set my expectations and tried to get creative. whenever I think the mission process is getting confused I try to throw in extra waypoints to give it time to set or reset. good luck!

Yes, what I ended up doing was add 1 extra waypoint to the start that does noting except get the drone pointed at the POI, it then moves a few feet and starts recording at waypoint 2.

I flew the new mission twice and worked well both times.

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro
"Autel waypoint mision" (TM) is a collection of randomly generated bugs. This never be fixed and if some bug would be fixed (accidentially) new bugs will be introduced silently.
Today I realized the Action Time inside Hover/Payload Action/Camera action is always reset to default 10s

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro
"Autel waypoint mision" (TM) is a collection of randomly generated bugs. This never be fixed and if some bug would be fixed (accidentially) new bugs will be introduced silently.
Today I realized the Action Time inside Hover/Payload Action/Camera action is always reset to default 10s
yep. same with hover time. reverts back to 10s

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d