Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

First Flight

newdist

Reaction score
Weather finally changed and was able to take my first flight with the new EVO. My worst fears were realized when i got her up and checked the horizon ! Horrible tilt ! Am running a ipad mini and with the horizon touching one upper corner the other corner is down approx.2". I fly an xstar and a mavic pro and have no tilt problems with either one . What do i do now ? Cant sell it. No one in their right mind would buy it with the horizon tilted that bad ! Suggestions ?

Is it still under warranty? How long have you had it?

Weather finally changed and was able to take my first flight with the new EVO. My worst fears were realized when i got her up and checked the horizon ! Horrible tilt ! Am running a ipad mini and with the horizon touching one upper corner the other corner is down approx.2". I fly an xstar and a mavic pro and have no tilt problems with either one . What do i do now ? Cant sell it. No one in their right mind would buy it with the horizon tilted that bad ! Suggestions ?
There is a guy here willing to change your evo for a mavic pro. You can try there.

Did you do the gimbal calibration through the app? Not the "manual horizon tilt adjustment" but the gimbal calibration.
I doubt the horizon tilt adjustment would compensate if it is as bad as you say.
That HAS to be done on a level surface! Some have suggested it needs to be done three times but I personally have only had to do it once.
If the tilt is THAT bad, you will be able to verify it before taking off by just looking at the camera view with the drone on and connected but still on that level surface
What firmware/app level are you at? The most recent releases did a lot to address the tilt but the calibration needs to be done anyway regardless of firmware/app.

Last edited:
That HAS to be done on a level surface! Some have suggested it needs to be done three times but I personally have only had to do it once.
If the tilt is THAT bad, you will be able to verify it before taking off by just looking at the camera view with the drone on and connected but still on that level surface

Of course I trust what I was told by Autel with a grain a salt - due to so many people complaining about gimbal tilt -- but here is what they told me when I sent them video from Evo setting on my level floor -- unable to show it was level after the calibration:

What is funny is I placed it on a tiled floor with straight lines -- the gimbal as it is moving up/down can follow one of the lines on my floor every so perfectly straight -- but yet -- only to reset the camera and go right back to looking tilted/low on the left side.

And if the Evo does not think it is level - it will not let you calibrate. That is been previously mentioned.

Last edited:
Hi!
First post here!
:)
Calibrating should help but make sure the floor is in fact leveled. I would suggest using a level to make sure that the x and y axis are leveled (i.e. bubble between the two lines).

Did you do the gimbal calibration through the app? Not the "manual horizon tilt adjustment" but the gimbal calibration.
I doubt the horizon tilt adjustment would compensate if it is as bad as you say.
What firmware/app level are you at? The most recent releases did a lot to address the tilt but the calibration needs to be done anyway regardless of firmware/app.
this is what I was going to say, might as well celebrate the remote while you're at it, if it's never been done before.

Don't give up on it so quickly, there's far more good about your Evo than bad, if calibrating your gimbal doesn't fix it (which I'm betting it will), Autel will fix it. Mine has had a very slight tilt on occasion but it seems to self correct in a minute or two, I've never had to adjust the horizontal tilt. But i also calibrate on a semi regular basis.

Also, remember to take the gimbal lock off before you power up. That's an easy thing to forget about, I speak from experience!

Hi!
First post here!
:)
Calibrating should help but make sure the floor is in fact leveled. I would suggest using a level to make sure that the x and y axis are leveled (i.e. bubble between the two lines).

My dinky torpedo level is one thing....always subjective as it is just a bubble and it is your decision what is or is not right..

But the torpedo and this nifty app agrees where I am placing it - to be as close to perfect as you can get.

Especially the app -- shows less than 1 degree difference any way I put it.

Oh, almost forgot one angle: The way my Evo is looking out:

How's that for HOLDING one phone to take a picture of another -- lol

As I figured screen shots from the phone itself would draw out the skeptics.

Thank you.

Reactions: KevinP
My dinky torpedo level is one thing....always subjective as it is just a bubble and it is your decision what is or is not right..

But the torpedo and this nifty app agrees where I am placing it - to be as close to perfect as you can get.

Especially the app -- shows less than 1 degree difference any way I put it.

View attachment 3905

View attachment 3906

View attachment 3907

View attachment 3908

View attachment 3909

View attachment 3910

Oh, almost forgot one angle: The way my Evo is looking out:

View attachment 3911

How's that for HOLDING one phone to take a picture of another -- lol

As I figured screen shots from the phone itself would draw out the skeptics.

Thank you.
That looks staged. Do a video next! ??

• Haha
Reactions: thomasr

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller