Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Firmware update via Smart Controller and GPS issue. - SOLVED

OZPilot

Reaction score
I recently purchased the Smart Controller V2 for my EVO II Pro V2

Start up and pairing was OK. I was connected to the internet and went to set up some missions but the Map functionality is broken. None of the three modes (normal, hybrid, satellite) show anything. Even when I set the "Home Point" in the settings, it says "Cannot change when the aircraft is landing or not armed" or similar.

I noticed an update to the App in the settings and did so

App updated to v1.0.65 - No problems, but the Maps/GPS still not working.

Immediately a Firmware Update was available for the UAV v2.1.77. OTA updating continually fails. I cannot find the file to perform a manual upgrade from the drone.

Here is the current Firmware versions (relevant ones I think)

Flight Control v0.0.4.58
Camera: v0.2.32.66
Remote Control: v3.1.0.10
Image Transmission: v2.0.1.4
Batter v0.0.15

At the moment, I can fly it with the standard remote and I would like to continue to do this as a fall back (I have been able how to pair and unpair both the standard and smart controllers)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

----EDIT: SOLVED

Thanks to Dave, I successfully applied the 2.1.77 Firmware.

Steps:

1) Format SD Card
2) Extract Firmware Zip to root of SD Card
3) Power on Smart Controller
4) Insert SD Card in aircraft and turn on
5) Wait....Took 15 minutes
6) Turn Off Aircraft and Smart Controller when told
7) Power on Smart Controller
8) Power on Aircraft

GPS signal is excellent, maps are good now. Created and ran two missions without issue. Everything is working correctly except for setting the Home Point in the settings. Still complains about landing or not being armed.

Last edited:
I'm having the same issues, update continually fails to send to aircraft and then break the connection requiring restarting both aircraft and smart controller. I was going to try and duplicate the steps outlined above but as of now the firmware files aren't downloading from the Autel site. I'm getting "Error 5XX" (cat under umbrella picture) when trying to download files. Hopefully my drone will still fly correctly and it didn't update the controller and then fail to upgrade the matching firmware to the aircraft?

I'm having the same issues, update continually fails to send to aircraft and then break the connection requiring restarting both aircraft and smart controller. I was going to try and duplicate the steps outlined above but as of now the firmware files aren't downloading from the Autel site. I'm getting "Error 5XX" (cat under umbrella picture) when trying to download files. Hopefully my drone will still fly correctly and it didn't update the controller and then fail to upgrade the matching firmware to the aircraft?

Evo 2 with smart controller or standard controller?

EVO II Pro V2 with Smart Controller V2
The firmware when using the standard controller has been pulled to fix an issue. The firmware when using the SC is available and ready to go. I think you selected the wrong tab.

Give it another try. And make sure you use the SC while updating, even if you also have a standard controller.

Capture.JPG

It worked from the link you provided. I was using the Smart Controller when trying to update, I've never even flown with the standard remote. I flew the standard controller with my EVO I for years and I don't miss it. :)

I'll try uploading this later tonight and hope it works. By the way, I have updated firmware before on this drone and smart controller. At that time it worked flawlessly so perhaps there is another bug in this newest firmware for OTA updates.

At that time it worked flawlessly so perhaps there is another bug in this newest firmware for OTA updates.
Yeah, there have been multiple reports of failure with the OTA update. Good success when using the SD card. Remember, all 4 files, including "header.json" in the root of the card.

Good luck!

Attachments

• v2 SC OTA Failure Update Procedure.pdf
    376.2 KB · Views: 15
Yes I extracted the RAR file directly to the flash card so every file went into the root directory. I was able to successfully upgrade via the flash card. I checked the menu for firmware updates and am now told 'already latest version' so I think I'm good. Thanks for your help!

I'll have to test it and see if they addressed an H265 issue I've been having. For some reason it's recording H265 videos "wrong" (all of them in any res or frame rate, and it forces H265 on 6K recording too). Autel sent me a clip they shot with one of their EVO II Pro and it was recording the profile as (hevc main 10, yuv420p10le, 3840x2160) whereas the ones shot with my drone are profiled as (hevc main 10, yuv420p, 3840x2160) so mine is missing the "10le". I see jibberish when trying to play back HEVC files shot on my drone but I have no issues properly playing back the clips Autel sent me. Anyway thanks again for helping me get this far.

EDIT: No luck with the H265 fix. I believe Autel's clips were shot on a V1 drone where mine is a V2 but they are recording different H265 profiles for some reason. Hopefully they can patch this up soon.

Last edited:
Latest tests I shot were just two clips, one in 4k60p H.265 MPEG4, and the other in 4k60p H.264 MPEG4. The H.265 clip will not play back on my machines and software. One machine is an Intel 4790k with a RTX 1060gt running Windows 7, and the other machine has an AMD 5950x and RTX 3090 running Windows 10. Software used for playback is MPC-HC, VLC media player and a few others. I have zero problems playing back 4k H265 video (from sources other than this drone) on either system, or 8k video on my 3090 rig, but for some reason even the 1080p H.265 videos shot on my V2 drone do not play back correctly on either machine. I get split screen playback with rainbow colors or just pink and white video.

The clip Autel sent shot from their V1 EVO II; I have zero problems playing that back on either of my machines. Only difference I can see between theirs and mine is the "10le" in their H265 profile. What I mean is if you play back a clip in MPC-HC for example and you right click... check the properties of the video stream, the autel V1 clip includes (hevc main 10, yuv420p10le, 3840x2160) and my V2 clips shot to the same 4k spec show (hevc main 10, yuv420p, 3840x2160) with no '10le'. It's really strange.

Last edited:
Okay, I remember you posted about this in Nov. I can play the h.265 video from my evo2 v.2 and my laptop only has an rtx2700. So you definitely should be able to play your videos.
Like I mentioned back in Nov. Just post a small example clip, like 1 min long, and If I can't play it, then your camera is broken and needs to be dealt with. I think I remember you don't use any shared storage service (which is really unusual by the way) so if that is the case, I can send you an upload request from my dropbox.

The balls in your court! Let's go.

For base maps, in Explorer, open settings > General > and toggle on "MapBox".

Who knows why it is not on by default.

You can download the latest SC .apk from here:

This worked for our Autel Evo II with the smart controller! Thank you for keeping me from smashing my forehead into the wall in frustration!

I recently purchased the Smart Controller V2 for my EVO II Pro V2

Start up and pairing was OK. I was connected to the internet and went to set up some missions but the Map functionality is broken. None of the three modes (normal, hybrid, satellite) show anything. Even when I set the "Home Point" in the settings, it says "Cannot change when the aircraft is landing or not armed" or similar.

I noticed an update to the App in the settings and did so

App updated to v1.0.65 - No problems, but the Maps/GPS still not working.

Immediately a Firmware Update was available for the UAV v2.1.77. OTA updating continually fails. I cannot find the file to perform a manual upgrade from the drone.

Here is the current Firmware versions (relevant ones I think)

Flight Control v0.0.4.58
Camera: v0.2.32.66
Remote Control: v3.1.0.10
Image Transmission: v2.0.1.4
Batter v0.0.15

At the moment, I can fly it with the standard remote and I would like to continue to do this as a fall back (I have been able how to pair and unpair both the standard and smart controllers)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

----EDIT: SOLVED

Thanks to Dave, I successfully applied the 2.1.77 Firmware.

Steps:

1) Format SD Card
2) Extract Firmware Zip to root of SD Card
3) Power on Smart Controller
4) Insert SD Card in aircraft and turn on
5) Wait....Took 15 minutes
6) Turn Off Aircraft and Smart Controller when told
7) Power on Smart Controller
8) Power on Aircraft

GPS signal is excellent, maps are good now. Created and ran two missions without issue. Everything is working correctly except for setting the Home Point in the settings. Still complains about landing or not being armed.
Thank you JESUS. I finally got it to work as well. Thanks for the help. I tried it several times. The key word was extract (on a Mac):
1. Download the firmware
2. Format the SD on the drone using the app.
3. From the downloads folder open the blue folder and drag each file separately into the SD folder.
4. Insert the SD and power up.

Walla! Hopefully this update addressed the over the air updates🤞🏻

Evo 2 with smart controller or standard controller?
Had the same issue, updated successfully by downloading the firmware to a newly formatted micro sd card, rebooted everything and it started loading the firmware. Only other issue was at the very end when it said it had 1second remaining, do yourself a favor and do not wait for it on its own. I rebooted the drone and the controller and restarted the app and came up fine then I checked in settings general about firmware and it did do the upgrade successfull.

Had the same issue, updated successfully by downloading the firmware to a newly formatted micro sd card, rebooted everything and it started loading the firmware. Only other issue was at the very end when it said it had 1second remaining, do yourself a favor and do not wait for it on its own. I rebooted the drone and the controller and restarted the app and came up fine then I checked in settings general about firmware and it did do the upgrade successfull.

latest firmware

Thank you JESUS. I finally got it to work as well. Thanks for the help. I tried it several times. The key word was extract (on a Mac):
1. Download the firmware
2. Format the SD on the drone using the app.
3. From the downloads folder open the blue folder and drag each file separately into the SD folder.
4. Insert the SD and power up.

Walla! Hopefully this update addressed the over the air updates🤞🏻
I can find everything about the firmware update like how to install, troubleshoot, install successful, etc but can not find the actual download page so I can put it on the card and do a manual update because the drone will not do it over the air for nothing Drone Firmware Vers 2.3.23

I can find everything about the firmware update like how to install, troubleshoot, install successful, etc but can not find the actual download page so I can put it on the card and do a manual update because the drone will not do it over the air for nothing Drone Firmware Vers 2.3.23
Pay attention to the version for your remote type.

Pay attention to the version for your remote type.

I am looking for the updates for the drone itself. I go to the controller version and it shows up to day but some of the versions show on the list are older but apparently not seeing the newer ones.

APP 1.0.94
Flight Control 0.0.4.85
Camera 0.3.0.0
Remote Control 3.1.0.10
Image Transmission 2.0.1.50
R/C Image Transmission 2.0.1.43
Gimbal 0.1.566.0
Battery 0.0.19.0
Vision Module 0.3.0.0
Sonar 4.0.0.3
ESC 1-4 1.0.3.6
Which of these has a never version available? I have the Evo Pro II V2 and Smart Controller V2

Thanks for your help Dave

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy