Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Firmware update fails at 64% and gimbal won't work again.

DARKSeifer

Reaction score
Today came my new Evo Lite+ so the first thing I did is charge the batteries and then proceed to update the firmware.

It downloaded ok but it failed 64%, tried several times and the result was always the same.

Reinstalled the Autel Sky app, tried with another battery, restarted everything, everything was charged, but it kept failing at 64%.

Can't use the drone either because gimbal has been left with no firmware installed, so it just doesn't work, it transmits video, but it doesn't move at all, just hangs there "dead" and doesn't do the self check movements when you restart the drone. On the firmware section of the app it says gimbal v 0.0.0.0 which I assume is the part of installation that fails. It also doesn't detect the gimbal S/N. When you enter the app it doesn't prompt any gimbal error, it's just like it doesn't exist anymore.

The first time I booted the drone it worked, it did the self check movements, then the first attempt to update the firmware failed and now is dead forever, and I see no way to solve the issue because there's not much I can do. As far as I know I can't roll back to the factory firmware, nor I can force the installation of just the gimbal or modify any parameters apart from the ones I see on the Autel Sky app. I can just reinstall all the firmware package, which I've done about 7 times with the exact same result.

PS: IDK what caused this failure, if was fried/disconnected from the board from the beginning and that's why the first attempt failed, or the firmware bricked it, I'm sending it back to Amazon for a new one and see what happens with the new unit.

Screenshot_20220201-201553.pngScreenshot_20220201-201625.pngScreenshot_20220201-202023.png

Last edited:
but autel doesn't sell drones on amazon. why not just let them keep whatever it is they are selling and get a reliable (real) autel drone? LOL

This is the new firmware that came out today. Anyone have success?

but autel doesn't sell drones on amazon. why not just let them keep whatever it is they are selling and get a reliable (real) autel drone? LOL

It makes no difference if you buy the drone from the official store or from any other site, it's the same sealed product. I often buy expensive equipment (PC components, drones, DSLRs, etc) from Amazon because they always respect the warranty period. Also, Autel official store doesn't ship to my country, only to USA and Canada, so Amazon is my best bet.

Now I can return my faulty drone without any question, while if you buy it from a "normal" store they usually complain, and I don't feel confident maintaining a 1.700€ drone that fails on day one before even flying... I did what I could on the software side to avoid the return.

This is the new firmware that came out today. Anyone have success?

Let's hope it was just my unit :eek:

Last edited:
unfortunately i think there was a problem early in teh launch and few early units escaped and you ended up getting one. hopefully you don't get another one with your exchange. but as you mentioned, the units are "sealed" so if you're ok with it, that's fine. i understand you don't have a lot of options from your country.

Reactions: DARKSeifer
It makes no difference if you buy the drone from the official store or from any other site, it's the same sealed product. I often buy expensive equipment (PC components, drones, DSLRs, etc) from Amazon because they always respect the warranty period. Also, Autel official store doesn't ship to my country, only to USA and Canada, so Amazon is my best bet.

Now I can return my faulty drone without any question, while if you buy it from a "normal" store they usually complain, and I don't feel confident maintaining a 1.700€ drone that fails on day one before even flying... I did what I could on the software side to avoid the return.

Let's hope it was just my unit :eek:
I had no issues updating firmware.

Reactions: DARKSeifer
I had no issues updating firmware.

That's a relief, I'll receive the new one on Friday, I'll charge the batteries and then proceed to update the firmware, let's see if at least I can fly this time 😆

Had quite high expectations with this drone and would be a pitty to go back to the Air2S.

Last edited:
The newer drones are not listed yet, but I suspect they will be.
agreed, i think we will start to see all the major vendors start to light up shortly; officially i believe the nano/lite has launched. it isn't easy to always tell where you are getting your goods from when you buy on amazon but i think it goes without saying that if you buy an autel drone on amazon and you have it at home at the same time autel tells you they haven't launched the drone yet....you didn't just get lucky. not saying there is anything wrong with it or autel won't support it, you just need to know what you're getting. it is possible for autel to ship drones to the retailers before they open up their own channel.

agreed, i think we will start to see all the major vendors start to light up shortly; officially i believe the nano/lite has launched. it isn't easy to always tell where you are getting your goods from when you buy on amazon but i think it goes without saying that if you buy an autel drone on amazon and you have it at home at the same time autel tells you they haven't launched the drone yet....you didn't just get lucky. not saying there is anything wrong with it or autel won't support it, you just need to know what you're getting. it is possible for autel to ship drones to the retailers before they open up their own channel.
The culprit is Autel Pilots in China that started selling these drones early that were not ready for market sales. I got mine on Jan 5 and the dealer said he had it in December which makes you wonder if these were pre production models. Dealer swears these are the real deal but with all the issues I had I doubt it. I returned it and they managed to source me another one, returning that as well now because of constant camera issues.

Well, all models get a serial number and must be activated in Autel Sky in order to work, if they were preproduction models I think it would be indicated somewhere.

Autel replied today about the ticket I sent about the issue:

1643972987680.png

PS: I'll get my hands on the new unit later today, I'll try to update and share the results.

Ok, the new drone updated without problems and works perfectly, first flight and I already know is muuuuuuuuch better than may previous Air 2S, what an awesome drone 😄

Reactions: 30plusretlaw
Ok, the new drone updated without problems and works perfectly, first flight and I already know is muuuuuuuuch better than may previous Air 2S, what an awesome drone 😄
Whats the latest version drone software you have?

Well, all models get a serial number and must be activated in Autel Sky in order to work, if they were preproduction models I think it would be indicated somewhere.

Autel replied today about the ticket I sent about the issue:

View attachment 13055

PS: I'll get my hands on the new unit later today, I'll try to update and share the results.
I got my LITE+ from Autelpilot.com . I think they're a legit sales channel, but perhaps not playing by the rules Autel would like.

Hi folks. I joined today exactly because of the issue posted by the OP. Have flown a Phantom 4 pro for years so Im not new to this.

Brand new Evo Lite + out of the box from Autel direct. Gimbal is dead.

Drone does take off and fly but camera is useless.

I have updated to the latest firmware. I am using Autel Sky. Compass calibration works. Gimbal calibration fails and stalls at 99%. IMU calibration fails. Full batteries and brand new dedicated tablet. Have rebooted all several times. Have tried manual gimbal adjustment. Doesn't work.

Camera transmits image but just hangs in a roughly 45 degree down and 25 degree pitch off to thew side. Totally unusable.

To say that Autel support is horrible would be an understatement. Calling them gets you a message of "due to an overwhelming volume of calls and tickets we are suspending voice support until next week...please email us" blah blah blah. That speaks volumes.

Not exactly a level of professionalism I'd expect. Had great hopes for this drone. But its basically a paperweight.

If any one finds a solution short of shipping it back...which I'm sure will be at my cost...please post it. As has been mentioned, should have bought it from Amazon cause it would already be in transit back to them.

Reactions: Starfire
I'm sure its not your fault at all, you also must have a defective unit.

My new unit has been working ok for the moment, all updated and calibrated correctly and so far I have about 35 flights/13 hours of flightime.

Autel has now had 3 business days to respond to my dead drone email and so far all I have received is the initial robo response of "we'll contact you soon". There is still zero phone or chat support.

As far as I'm concerned their customer support sucks.

Glad some of you got a good working piece of tech.

I'm out 1649 bucks with a paperweight.

I'll wait til Monday but if I haven't heard anything by then I'll initiate a charge back on my CC. Maybe that will get their attention.

Reactions: Starfire

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials