Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Firmware update 2.7.25. Any restrictions?

davshev

Reaction score
I think I already know the answer to this, but I want to make sure before updating to the latest firmware V2.7.25. Has anyone 2.7.25 experienced any restrictions, such as geofencing? One of the main reasons I switched from DJI to Autel was because of the absence of geofencing.

Reactions: Paul _77
Also I for the same reason.
In Italy with 2.27.25 any restriction.
Dan

Also I for the same reason.
In Italy with 2.27.25 any restriction.
Dan
As far as I know, there is an "airspace regulation database" in the firmware, but it will not prevent you from taking off and flying.

I think I already know the answer to this, but I want to make sure before updating to the latest firmware V2.7.25. Has anyone 2.7.25 experienced any restrictions, such as geofencing? One of the main reasons I switched from DJI to Autel was because of the absence of geofencing.
That is exactly why I bought Autel!

At least in the US, v2.7.25 shows local airspace restrictions but has not prevented me from flying. I appreciate being warned.

At least in the US, v2.7.25 shows local airspace restrictions but has not prevented me from flying. I appreciate being warned.
That makes me know that the restrictions will come next, it makes me sad. I am a responsible part 107 licensed pilot. I do not need a drone company restricting me in front of my clients after I gave it my all and fulfilled FAA permissions for said project and not being able to lift off. For that reason I will not update my Autel Evo 2 pro drone again or connecting software. Same as my DJI Inspire 1, it still works perfectly within controlled airspace after I am legally cleared. This is a solid bird. I know you have many more improvements planned for this quad, just a good thing you have 90% of them down already, cause that's all I'm gonna get so far.
So in your defense, here on a public platform, I'm all in for improvements. But a nice sell point was, "restrictions are left up to the individuals" thats a huge sell point. Congrats, it works. I'm not afraid to ask the question. I can actually think of a few reasons to incorporate a fly zone data base into a firmware upgrade. But why some restrictions on some Evo's already? We know that 2023 is presenting new transponder requirements, I get that. Maybe we can be transparent here? Thoughts?

From what I’ve been told, when I strictly asked this question is that Autel will not activate hard NFZ unless required to do so by regulations and or law. At that point manufacturers will have no other choice.

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
From what I’ve been told, when I strictly asked this question is that Autel will not activate hard NFZ unless required to do so by regulations and or law. At that point manufacturers will have no other choice.
I can see that day, also see why. Just looking out for us and Autel. Great quad btw.

Reactions: Blade Strike
I can see that day, also see why. Just looking out for us and Autel. Great quad btw.
I disagree. I don't see that day coming anytime soon. not because the government doesn't want it but because there's no way to implement it. we already know the dji method is a nightmare. how exactly will the government require all drones to implement restrictions? that's impossible. and where will they get this authority from? congress? put me on the record, not going to have ever....meaning in the next 5 to 10 years. will the manufacturers implement it? maybe, maybe not. but the faa is never going to absolutely require all uavs to flying under full software restrictions else you are unauthorized to fly. that's a killer decision, for sure.

I disagree. I don't see that day coming anytime soon. not because the government doesn't want it but because there's no way to implement it. we already know the dji method is a nightmare. how exactly will the government require all drones to implement restrictions? that's impossible. and where will they get this authority from? congress? put me on the record, not going to have ever....meaning in the next 5 to 10 years. will the manufacturers implement it? maybe, maybe not. but the faa is never going to absolutely require all uavs to flying under full software restrictions else you are unauthorized to fly. that's a killer decision, for sure.
Unfortunately won’t be the first time the FAA pulled the cart before the horse.

but I agree, they have RID to keep them busy for a while.

IF Autel does implement and Activate a geofence capability like DJI, then hopefully Autel also implements an ad-hoc short term self unlock, as well as longer term custom unlock like DJI. And, should Autel go that route, that they also make the custom unlock work across multiple aircraft/controllers just like DJI. For those not familiar, DJI has a page you go to and can request an on the spot temp self unlock for a specific area and aircraft. On that page, you can also request a custom unlock for a broader area around 28+ km radius and have that apply to multiple aircraft & controllers (e.g. Phantoms, Mavics, Mavic Minis, etc). Usually when I have requested new custom unlocks, as long as input the proper info, including 107.41 coa's, I get the unlock code relatively quickly. So, IF Autel goes down the geofence enforcement, then hopefully they do something as good if not better with self and custom unlocks.

FYI, I was able to rollback firmware V2.7.25 to V2.6.22. As of 8/8/2021 this works. If you want to downgrade, you'll need the downgrade file. See link below. The file is titled "force_upgrade," however it will not allow the downgrade unless you change the file name to qiangzi_shengji.

Use the renamed downgrade file along with the firmware version to which you want to downgrade. Choose the firmware version from link below.

Reactions: Claudio NC
No Geofencing, just GeoZone Maps

I didn't like the pop up warnings and annoying voice with 2.7.25, so I downgraded to 2.6.22.

Reactions: Claudio NC
So there is no way to at least stop the continuous uploading of the same file every time you turn on the drone? I guess the new Nano + I had my eye on will have the same issue.

So there is no way to at least stop the continuous uploading of the same file every time you turn on the drone? I guess the new Nano + I had my eye on will have the same issue.
I only have that issue if I leave my wifi on in my phone or tablet. Just leave the wifi off and it shouldn't ask you to upgrade. Well, it works for me anyway. I've actually had autel tell me to keep upgrading the same exact firmware version for a month. That was weird. I jut ignored it. Then I started keeping my wifi off when flying dji or autel drones. It helps prevent notifications. I also used a Drone Hack mod on my Air2s. I keep my Wifi off so i don't accidently upgrade. The Air2S w the DH mod gives me unlimited altitude and absolutely no geofencing restrictions, except a little warning, "you are in a restricted zone, leave ASAP", which I ignore. The DH mod lets me just keep flying like their was no geofence there at all. If Autel ever created a GeoFence Lock, it would be hacked pretty quickly, I'm sure. I was using an Autel altitude hack, but quit. I felt that 2600 ft was high enough compared to 6000ft.

Just an FYI, the update message is only informational. You can safely ignore and not process the update. Hope the nag message will be fixed once the next firmware hits.

Reactions: gschulzuio

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juan.t