Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Few things noticed on my first EVO flight...

SD_PIlot

Reaction score
First and foremost, overall superb aircraft and glad I added the EVO to the fleet of several drones.

Good GPS lock solid up in the air, of course the obvious, 4K/60FPS, easy to notice up in the air, compact, easy to set up and fly and no Geofencing. Testing the "tracking/follow" and it worked flawlessly.

Did notice what I read before the snappiness when yawing so adjusted the EXP from .50 to .20 and didn't see much of a different but still putting the craft through various tests.

One thing that took me a bit by surprise is how quick the craft wanted to land once it reached 5 min battery life. I had to quickly glide it to the landing pad - woahhhh !!

I realize why some folks have either lost it or landed the craft somewhere else when that battery reached that critical level. I'll probably fly this craft much closer to me than I would my other ACs' - at least for now. ;)

Just some pet peeves - Don't like that there's not a switch on the RC to switch from normal speed to ludicious/faster speeds than going into the APP and tap here and there to activate, bottom data on the APP seems too cluttered, no continuous beeping signals when sensors are activated and back sensor doesn't prevent from hitting an object. Oh yeah, I tested RTH but couldn't/wouldn't cancel ? wait what? I held the pause button for 3 secs but nothing?

To stay in the safe zone, I think bringing the craft closer at that 10 min battery life level point is probably a good idea. I would highly recommend especially for inexperienced pilots.

Last edited:
First and foremost, overall superb aircraft and glad I added the EVO to the fleet of several drones.

Good GPS lock solid up in the air, of course the obvious, 4K/60FPS, easy to notice up in the air, compact, easy to set up and fly and no Geofencing. Testing the "tracking/follow" and it worked flawlessly.

Did notice what I read before the snappiness when yawing so adjusted the EXP from .50 to .20 and didn't see much of a different but still putting the craft through various tests.

One thing that took me a bit by surprise is how quick the craft wanted to land once it reached 5 min battery life. I had to quickly glide it to the landing pad - woahhhh !!

I realize why some folks have either lost it or landed the craft somewhere else when that battery reached that critical level. I'll probably fly this craft much closer to me than I would my other ACs' - at least for now. ;)

Just some pet peeves - Don't like that there's not a switch on the RC to switch from normal speed to ludicious/faster speeds than going into the APP and tap here and there to activate, bottom data on the APP seems too cluttered, no beeping signals when sensors are activated and back sensor doesn't prevent from hitting an object. Oh yeah, I tested RTH but couldn't/wouldn't cancel ? wait what? I held the pause button for 3 secs but nothing?

To stay in the safe zone, I think bringing the craft closer at that 10 min battery life level point is probably a good idea. I would highly recommend especially for inexperienced pilots.
@SD_PIlot ... I have been flying the EVO for about the last 10 months along with a couple other hexes I have had for a few years.
You can change the critical battery levels in the app. Be mindful of the time left in the battery which I'm sure you do as an experienced pilot. Also it will yaw a bit smoother if you use your thumb at the part of the stick that is closest to the controller. This has been one of my pet peeves since I got it. Way to touchy to get clean turns in flight (until someone on here mentioned the thumb scenario which works).
Odd that you could not override the RTH. I have only used it once when I had no idea where the drone was (it was about 1/8 of a mile behind me) and used it to bring it back into LOS at which point I was able to cancel it with the pause button and regain control. One thing I don't like about the latest app update is they got rid of the 34 mph setting. You now have to disable the sensors to get it.
Overall the EVO is a great little drone. I find that I grab it when I want to get in the air quickly and I find the camera gets excellent video for a 1/2.3" sensor. Here is a pic. of my rig. The more you fly the EVO the more you will dig it. They all have trade offs...

Attachments

• DSCN6007B.jpg
    DSCN6007B.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
@SD_PIlot ... I have been flying the EVO for about the last 10 months along with a couple other hexes I have had for a few years.
You can change the critical battery levels in the app. Be mindful of the time left in the battery which I'm sure you do as an experienced pilot. Also it will yaw a bit smoother if you use your thumb at the part of the stick that is closest to the controller. This has been one of my pet peeves since I got it. Way to touchy to get clean turns in flight (until someone on here mentioned the thumb scenario which works).
Odd that you could not override the RTH. I have only used it once when I had no idea where the drone was (it was about 1/8 of a mile behind me) and used it to bring it back into LOS at which point I was able to cancel it with the pause button and regain control. One thing I don't like about the latest app update is they got rid of the 34 mph setting. You now have to disable the sensors to get it.
Overall the EVO is a great little drone. I find that I grab it when I want to get in the air quickly and I find the camera gets excellent video for a 1/2.3" sensor. Here is a pic. of my rig. The more you fly the EVO the more you will dig it. They all have trade offs...

Yes thanks and nice set up you have there - I picked up a sunshade hood for my device too.

I flew it again earlier today and was able to cancel the RTH. I needed to keep pressing and wait those 3 secs then heard the beep. I cancelled as part of the series of tests I'm running through.

I'm glad the RTH is working as it should. Hardly ever use it but good to know it's there when you need it. I'm also going to keep the critical battery level where it is as I know I need to have the craft close by near 10 mins or so.

Reactions: jcommstudios
Another thing I noticed was the off-centered horizontal video feed but I was able to correct by calibrated the gimbal. Took a couple of secs but is now centered. :)

Just some pet peeves - Don't like that there's not a switch on the RC to switch from normal speed to ludicious/faster speeds than going into the APP and tap here and there to activate, bottom data on the APP seems too cluttered, no beeping signals when sensors are activated and back sensor doesn't prevent from hitting an object. Oh yeah, I tested RTH but couldn't/wouldn't cancel ? wait what? I held the pause button for 3 secs but nothing?

I have learned the back sensor are active "will stop the craft" in novice mode. In standard mode it only gives a beeping warning. I would like to see them active in standard mode.

I have learned the back sensor are active "will stop the craft" in novice mode. In standard mode it only gives a beeping warning. I would like to see them active in standard mode.

Yeah front sensors work well and rear with that beep but I just need to keep a close eye on the rear and device when in flight.

Last edited:

I see the app at full screen on a tablet. Is that an iPad or Android?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles