Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Explorer App's Mission feature and My First Photogrammetry with the Evo

Ansia

Reaction score
As soon as I got home, I tried the new mission feature in the beta version of the Explorer app.

I still need to play with it, since I made some mistakes and it shows on the end result, but I'll get there. Anyways, here are the results. The 3D rendering ended up with a weird black circle around it, but that is probably my fault for cutting corners to get the model out before it was ready. I will have to do further testing.
Outsite.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
Other than that, I say it looks pretty good. The orthomosaic in the other hand isn't really impressive. There is a lack of detail and definition. I don't know if it's because of the 12MP camera or I was to high.
Ortho.jpg
The blurryness in the Orthomosaic is caused by the photos taken while the drone was turning. I will have to keep that in mind next time.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
As soon as I got home, I tried the new mission feature in the beta version of the Explorer app.

I still need to play with it, since I made some mistakes and it shows on the end result, but I'll get there. Anyways, here are the results. The 3D rendering ended up with a weird black circle around it, but that is probably my fault for cutting corners to get the model out before it was ready. I will have to do further testing.
View attachment 4584
View attachment 4581
View attachment 4582
Other than that, I say it looks pretty good. The orthomosaic in the other hand isn't really impressive. There is a lack of detail and definition. I don't know if it's because of the 12MP camera or I was to high.
View attachment 4583
The blurryness in the Orthomosaic is caused by the photos taken while the drone was turning. I will have to keep that in mind next time.

What do you guys think?
Looks promising.

Reactions: Ansia
Funny no one else is gung ho over it but never the less I gave it a shot this morning with the IOS version and no go at this point.
Setting it up was easy then I pressed Fly and the small fly appears just above the bigger Fly.
I get a message "uploading waypoints 30%" right away but it stays at that percentage point then after roughly 1 minute the
message disappears and back with the Larger Fly again. I tried maybe 6 or seven times more with the same results.
The Evo was flying stationary at the minimum height stipulated (30 meters) like a lonesome cowboy.

Should I report to Autel or are they surveying this site for our experiences ?

Like the lonesome cowboy this Beta tryout is a close cousin.

Reactions: 399AGL
Funny no one else is gung ho over it but never the less I gave it a shot this morning with the IOS version and no go at this point.
Setting it up was easy then I pressed Fly and the small fly appears just above the bigger Fly.
I get a message "uploading waypoints 30%" right away but it stays at that percentage point then after roughly 1 minute the
message disappears and back with the Larger Fly again. I tried maybe 6 or seven times more with the same results.
The Evo was flying stationary at the minimum height stipulated (30 meters) like a lonesome cowboy.

Should I report to Autel or are they surveying this site for our experiences ?

Like the lonesome cowboy this Beta tryout is a close cousin.
Why place your Evo at 30m? Perhaps the missions is failing due to the command distance traveled? When my Evo acepted my mission it was around 1.5-2m high.

Why place your Evo at 30m? Perhaps the missions is failing due to the command distance traveled? When my Evo acepted my mission it was around 1.5-2m high.
??? are we talking the same thing ? This is on my Iphone 6S

Attachments

• Autel-Evo Mission.jpg
    Autel-Evo Mission.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 37
??? are we talking the same thing ? This is on my Iphone 6S
Maybe we aren't. Lol... What I ment to say, in order for the mission to be sent to the drone, it first needs to be hovering. It won't accept it on the ground. At least for me. Once the mission is uploaded, the drone will reach it's designated height and proceed to do the mission.

Last edited:
Reactions: DadCorso80
I've used Pix4D, Drone Deploy and Maps Made Easy for orthomosaics and two of the three turned out really well. The ones I have done with just using standard waypoints, I flew at a height of 150' with a maximum distance of 60' in between passes, so I don't know how that equates to overlap in the beta app, but anyhow. I had the photo interval set to take pictures every two seconds. Even with turning, no image distortion was evident.

I took the drone to the height needed and for a small distance to where the mission would start.
I when the mission is being uploaded it shows being uploaded at 30% for a minute then starts over with the Fly icon. I left a message with Autel
but maybe it should have never been issued as they don't work in either format.

I've used Pix4D, Drone Deploy and Maps Made Easy for orthomosaics and two of the three turned out really well. The ones I have done with just using standard waypoints, I flew at a height of 150' with a maximum distance of 60' in between passes, so I don't know how that equates to overlap in the beta app, but anyhow. I had the photo interval set to take pictures every two seconds. Even with turning, no image distortion was evident.
Pix4D, DD, and MME tell the drone when to take the photo, therefore it will never take one while turning. If you use a Phantom to do your ortho, it has a mechanical shutter, mitigating the blurr effect.
Screenshot_20190619-104922_Autel Explorer.jpg
I used these settings for my flight. For best rendering you need an 80% overlap. The 2s timelapse also produces a 80+% overlap. I noticed that the drone takes a photo before taking the corner, while taking, and just after it finishes. Removing those blurry photos shouldn't affect the end result.

I am currently doing the photogrammetry process correctly, but forgot to remove the blurry ones. Once it's complete, I will go again without the blurry and compare.

I took the drone to the height needed and for a small distance to where the mission would start.
I when the mission is being uploaded it shows being uploaded at 30% for a minute then starts over with the Fly icon. I left a message with Autel
but maybe it should have never been issued as they don't work in either format.
Is your Evo and batteries on the latest firmware? I want to make sure that your versions and mine are the same. Therefore making sure it's a software problem. Due to you trying 2 different phones with the same result, I believe it's either your drone or the app.

Pix4D, DD, and MME tell the drone when to take the photo, therefore it will never take one while turning. If you use a Phantom to do your ortho, it has a mechanical shutter, mitigating the blurr effect.
View attachment 4595
I used these settings for my flight. For best rendering you need an 80% overlap. The 2s timelapse also produces a 80+% overlap. I noticed that the drone takes a photo before taking the corner, while taking, and just after it finishes. Removing those blurry photos shouldn't affect the end result.

I am currently doing the photogrammetry process correctly, but forgot to remove the blurry ones. Once it's complete, I will go again without the blurry and compare.
Sorry, I didn't explain this very well previously, I didn't use Pix4D, Dd or Mme for flight, only processing photos from my Evo, I just used the old school waypoints manually on the Evo App, it takes photos every two seconds no matter turning or not using this method as far as I can tell with out any blur if that makes sense. Thanks for the input and the screen shots, I may entertain using the beta.

Here is an example of a photo while the drone is turning. As you can see, all of the edges are blurred

Attachments

• -hfjbltH.jpeg
    -hfjbltH.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 26
Right on, I assume the photo was taken when using the beta rectangular mission through the app correct? Other than that, do you like the way it's set up and works so far? I'm eager to give it a try.

Right on, I assume the photo was taken when using the beta rectangular mission through the app correct? Other than that, do you like the way it's set up and works so far? I'm eager to give it a try.
Yes, it was taken during the mission option of the beta app. Other than that little mishap, the app worked great for me in iOS. Not so good in Android. I don't know if you have tried any other mapping software, but it's as easy to use as DJI Ground Station Pro, Pix4D, Precision Hawk, etc.

This time I am actually doing it step by step and it's turning up amazing. You can actually see accurate elevations from the different areas around the basketball court. No more black circles. By tomorrow I should have it finished.

Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg

LOL
Ya I wish I had a faster computer. I am doing one and not even close to being done. Maybe by the week end :rolleyes:
My PC is old. I just use teamviewer to start the next step while I am away. Also the area was small, so it was fast.

Do you use the Anafi or go at it with the XSP?

This time I used the Anafi and planned it out in Pix4D but I'm using Agisoft Metashape Professional (64 bit) to do the 3D model.

Sure glad I don't do this for a living or else I would have to buy a better computer. This was painfully slow. :)

View attachment 4605
How do you manage to eliminate the bubble of the XYZ and that color changing background? Looks more interesting than mine. I also noticed that you left it at mesh with texture. Why is that?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller