Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EXP explanation please

YuKay

Reaction score
Can anyone please give me an appreciation of what the EXP (exponential?) setting does? If I draw a curve as shown in the manual, does every turn start at 0% and gradually accelerate to the default turning speed - or does this increase the terminal turning speed to faster than the default?

I can envisage wanting different turning speeds depending on whether I am flying along a route or just hovering to take some video. Can I have two different curves working on the same mission?

And is the turning speed always linked to the straight line speed of the EVO? Or can I turn quickly when flying dead slow in a straight line - and vice versa?

And suppose I wanted to set a constant turning speed but slower than the default. Is that an option?

And finally, does a slow turning speed make it more or less likely that I will crash into something?

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 13.38.12.png

All it does is slow down or speed up from default. Some people find the Yaw speed to fast and will slow it down. I believe that would be a negative number.

Can anyone please give me an appreciation of what the EXP (exponential?) setting does? If I draw a curve as shown in the manual, does every turn start at 0% and gradually accelerate to the default turning speed - or does this increase the terminal turning speed to faster than the default?

I can envisage wanting different turning speeds depending on whether I am flying along a route or just hovering to take some video. Can I have two different curves working on the same mission?

And is the turning speed always linked to the straight line speed of the EVO? Or can I turn quickly when flying dead slow in a straight line - and vice versa?

And suppose I wanted to set a constant turning speed but slower than the default. Is that an option?

And finally, does a slow turning speed make it more or less likely that I will crash into something?

View attachment 2844
It doesn't just slow it down. It will "curve" it, meaning that the change in yaw speed starts out low, then gets higher (or it could start high, then get lower depending on how you set it).

Well then it works differently then the X-Star EXP. All that did was slow the Yaw so it would not be so jerky. They must have added some improvements.

It doesn't just slow it down. It will "curve" it, meaning that the change in yaw speed starts out low, then gets higher (or it could start high, then get lower depending on how you set it).
So this means that a slight push on the stick will make it yaw slowly and as you move the stick outward it will yaw faster. As long as you have the stick less than 30% to the right or left of center it should yaw very slowly, assuming you have set the EXP to .25 or .30.

So this means that a slight push on the stick will make it yaw slowly and as you move the stick outward it will yaw faster. As long as you have the stick less than 30% to the right or left of center it should yaw very slowly, assuming you have set the EXP to .25 or .30.
I assumed that was the default behaviour but perhaps I'm confusing speed with distance. I guess I will experiment with EXP myself but I wanted to make sure that it's safe for a complete newbie to mess around with it.

I found this X-Star EXP tutorial video. It clears up one of my confusions by explaining that the yaw speed of the craft is unaffected by EXP which only changes the sensitivity of the sticks.

Can I assume that this video applies equally to EXP in the EVO?

I also found a useful YouTube review of the DJI Expo setting with flight demos. Is the EVO EXP setting also configurable on the fly as that would answer another of my questions?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hysteresis

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ranga