Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo2Pro profile tip for night video and HDR

Nice clean footage, my favorite settings for night video and photography are LOG, F2.8, 1/30s Shutter, ISO800, Daylight WB.
Yes, but I have discovered that HDR and Log boosts the light a lot at ISO 400.
Check the HDR version on a HDR monitor or TV... The link is in that video description...

Yes, but I have discovered that HDR and Log boosts the light a lot at ISO 400.
Check the HDR version on a HDR monitor or TV... The link is in that video description...

Unfortunately, I do not have HDR monitors or TV. I am familiar with the workflow, but none of my customers has ever asked for anything HDR and Rec709 is still the standard, since many people do not have HDR displays so I still consider it a bit gimmicky kind of like 3D. HDR does look nice when the footage is HDR and the display is HDR but for my mainstream work, until customers start requesting it, I'm not going to bother working with it.

Reactions: JohnOfDrones
Unfortunately, I do not have HDR monitors or TV. I am familiar with the workflow, but none of my customers has ever asked for anything HDR and Rec709 is still the standard, since many people do not have HDR displays so I still consider it a bit gimmicky kind of like 3D. HDR does look nice when the footage is HDR and the display is HDR but for my mainstream work, until customers start requesting it, I'm not going to bother working with it.
Well, 99% of TV's today have HDR10 support...the main advantage in HDR is that boost of colors and contrast that create a much attractive look then R709..
But yes, as you say, will be for some customers, not all.

Reactions: gschulzuio
Well, 99% of TV's today have HDR10 support...the main advantage in HDR is that boost of colors and contrast that create a much attractive look then R709..
But yes, as you say, will be for some customers, not all.

Actually according to current industry statistics it is only 44% in the USA and probably even lower if global statistics are considered; and the biggest problem is that HDR content looks terrible on a non HDR display medium whereas non HDR content looks fine on HDR TV's so clients are not likely to start requesting HDR anytime soon. Also, lets not forget that 57% of video is viewed on mobile devices, and while mobile HDR adoption is growing it is still limited adoption and far from 99%.

Last edited:
Actually according to current industry statistics it is only 44% in the USA and probably even lower if global statistics are considered; and the biggest problem is that HDR content looks terrible on a non HDR display medium whereas non HDR content looks fine on HDR TV's so clients are not likely to start requesting HDR anytime soon. Also, lets not forget that 57% of video is viewed on mobile devices, and while mobile HDR adoption is growing it is still limited adoption and far from 99%.
Very true... But all Iphones and medium to high segment have now HDR capabilities... My P30 Pro is fine...
But, as told, is only for a reduced audience, the one that can afford, as HDR editing takes me 3 times more than Rec709...

I've been testing this too and the HDR mode does indeed give a brighter and better picture in my E2P with less iso in multiple scenarios I've tried. Even if you don't have an HDR display and export as 8-bit, I can notice a difference. Planning to fly more comparisons this weekend if I can...

I've been testing this too and the HDR mode does indeed give a brighter and better picture in my E2P with less iso in multiple scenarios I've tried. Even if you don't have an HDR display and export as 8-bit, I can notice a difference. Planning to fly more comparisons this weekend if I can...
Export it 10 bit, even if is not seen as HDR< will preserve the quality of 10 bit. LOG profile under HDR will help a lot.

Between our work with commercials, we have made a little time to test the capability of Sony IMX sensor from Evo2 PRO.
All videos were made only for light test purpose, not spending time with a full edit.
In description of each video you have the settings, if is not feel free to ask.
The light on that area is very low, as it was created the scene of the old city with low light lamps.
If you have normal monitor:
30 minutes after sunset:
https://youtu.be/z1sYm7LA_jI
Total darkness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDeYAB5Eq7Q
If your monitor is HDR capable, enable it in Windows Display settings and check this out:
30 minutes after sunset:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6F-mQbjEa4
Total darkness (edited for 4000 nits):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1FebgqVuv4&t=0s

Did a real estate twilight job with reveals and orbits with both HDR and without. The HDR looked so much better without the harsh blacks and whites on the city lights.

Shot this last evening with the 6K camera on EVO II, 4K, 30fps, 1/30, 2.8, hdr, log, neutral styles, minimal post process/grade (e.g. just used resolve auto) and export at 1K. As mentioned above, even if not displaying on hdr, enabling it gives similar flexibility in post to shooting at 6K or 4K and then producing out at a lower resolution.

Reactions: GeoDrone SRL
Shot this last evening with the 6K camera on EVO II, 4K, 30fps, 1/30, 2.8, hdr, log, neutral styles, minimal post process/grade (e.g. just used resolve auto) and export at 1K. As mentioned above, even if not displaying on hdr, enabling it gives similar flexibility in post to shooting at 6K or 4K and then producing out at a lower resolution.
Nice !

Also a TIP for HDR users:
As HDR profile will go up to 10.000 nits, but your standard monitors and client's TV's are at about 4-500 nits, my strong advice is to define at HDR in editing that your output is 500 nits.
After this, just lower the Lights and Highlights on HDR controls in order to have the Scopes not passing the 500 nits line, as all is over this will loose details and just be white.
Also Specular lights you can get it after Hightlights (On HDR controls at Resolve you have at each control in left upper part of it a a round sign and a +x.xx...Specular is beyond +4, lower it to be close to Highlights but NOT as Highl. - for example, Specular can be set at +1.8 - , then activate in Scopes the Extensions - you will see that a new form is added to upper part of each color -....Then adjust the new form to be at upper margin of 4-500 nits...In this way you will have a strong White light but will preserve also the details.
Cheers.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller