Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO Tablet adapter

actruck

Reaction score
I've been looking for a tablet holder for my EVO but all I could find was the Thor. The Thor appears to be very well made but the cost is just a little much so I decided to design one similar to the one I made for my Mavic Pro. This is still a work in progress but I hope to have it powder coated this week. I still need to order an M4 thumb screw for the rear support. Feel free to comment on the design. I'm open to design improvements.

I must say, the rear mount is not to my liking. Seems way off balance. I'll stick with the front mount.

Attachments

• 20190203_120255.jpg
    20190203_120255.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 129
  • 20190203_121024.jpg
    20190203_121024.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 122
  • 20190203_120341.jpg
    20190203_120341.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 114
  • 20190203_120305.jpg
    20190203_120305.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • 20190203_120706.jpg
    20190203_120706.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
Reactions: safari
Very cool, I don't like the ones that place the tablet over the sticks, tho they are likely to balance better, I have the LifThor and couldn't be happier, balances very well even if the tablet is behind the sticks, and in case of tablet failure the remote screen is always visible.

Reactions: actruck
I realize some of you do not care for the tablet adapters. I respect that but there are a few of us that do so please be respectful with the comments.

My goal was to have a tablet adapter where I could use a front or rear mount tablet. I wasn't happy with the rear mount on the original design but on my 2nd and final design, I'm now happy with it. I had a verity of table adapters and ball mounts laying around so I kept trying different ideas until I came up with something that works.

Most of the ball mounts, Ram mounts and tablet adapters can be found on Amazon and eBay for reasonable prices. The actual tablet holder can be fabricated from almost anything. The main objective is to encase the controller in the tablet holder. 3D printing is also an option.

I now have two tablet adapters that will suit all of my needs.

10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg

Reactions: YuKay and mixchief
I realize some of you do not care for the tablet adapters. I respect that but there are a few of us that do so please be respectful with the comments.

My goal was to have a tablet adapter where I could use a front or rear mount tablet. I wasn't happy with the rear mount on the original design but on my 2nd and final design, I'm now happy with it. I had a verity of table adapters and ball mounts laying around so I kept trying different ideas until I came up with something that works.

Most of the ball mounts, Ram mounts and tablet adapters can be found on Amazon and eBay for reasonable prices. The actual tablet holder can be fabricated from almost anything. The main objective is to encase the controller in the tablet holder. 3D printing is also an option.

I now have two tablet adapters that will suit all of my needs.

View attachment 3523View attachment 3524View attachment 3525View attachment 3526View attachment 3527View attachment 3528View attachment 3529View attachment 3530
I like the way tyou have the front mount one now, it places the tablet so high that you can easily see the RC screen if needed. Good work my friend!

Reactions: Orv
I like the way tyou have the front mount one now, it places the tablet so high that you can easily see the RC screen if needed. Good work my friend!

Thank you.

I have tried every combination possible on these two mounts and so far balance is very good even with the 9.7. I can see pretty much the entire RC screen on the double mount adapter too. That's a plus.

I'm happy with the LifThor, very similar in concept to yours, and now that I was able to rig it to work with the DroneBelt it's hands off if I need to. I think we both have joy :):cool:

Reactions: actruck
To the great disappointment of my science professor father, I majored in arts and languages so struggle to assemble flatpack furniture. But with the arrival of my EVO, and the need to open and close multiple doors while holding my drone, RC and tablet in three hands, I realised I would have to install automatic doors or tap into my previously ignored gene pool to devise a way to safely navigate from my house to the garden whilst encumbered.

I think my dear old dad would have been proud of me. My solution was to attach a neck strap to the RC using a loop of multi-strand brass picture wire (it's probably called something else in the US) threaded through the RC handgrips and joined up just by twisting the ends together. This is 100% secure although my father would have used pliers, a soldering iron and whatever else to make it look less like a bodge.

So, my RC dangles safely from my neck in transit (and in use) freeing up 50% of my hands for the EVO and the other 50% for door handles.

Happy as this solution makes me, the RC hangs straight down; but when I use it, it kindly wedges itself into my expansive stomach and pretty much stays in a usable position unless I cough.

That is an excellent solution, I've always had trouble with the center mounted lanyard idea. Bestem makes a great harness but the lanyard mounts in the middle and every move makes the R/C twist and turn and tangle, I never liked the solution until I saw the R/C mounts that have arms on both sides to attach the lanyard, just made more sense. You got it right, simple yet very effective.

Reactions: YuKay
Sometimes you can overthink things - like our friend who spent days trying to build an adjustable launch pad so that he could take off from the side of a mountain…until it was pointed out that a $15 tripod did everything he was trying to do. I always factor in the cost of my time - and I don't come cheap.

I do have a question for all the posters in this thread. When I had my Phantom I used a 10.5” iPad Pro, with a simple adapter and all was right with the world. When I got the Evo, which I love, and fired up the app on my iPad I was stunned by how ugly it looked on my iPad. Unless I’m missing something it appears that Autel did not actually create a tablet version for iOS, my preferred OS, or Android. Do you folks have access to a tablet version or are you just ok with the way it looks. I went out and bought the smallest tablet I could find, because I don’t want to use my iPhone, and am just dealing with the way it looks. My tablet is a Tab A 7” and it doesn’t seem that the LifThor device works with it. I bought a cheap little 3D printed adapter that lets me use the tablet. Any thoughts or comments would be welcome.

personally I have no problem with the way the iOS version looks on my iPad Air 2, I do regularly use an Android tablet because it has a dedicated HDMI output to feed my goggles, but have no problem using the iPad. Yes Autel didn't bother making a dedicated iPad version, in fact if your App Store is set on the iPad to look only for iPad versions it will not see the Explorer app, and yes I feel that's pretty weak of Autel, whom I think, feel tablets are not important judging from the Mickey Mouse phone holder they provided. BTW I have the LifThor and can't see it not working with any tablet, the actual holder provided is large and deep, but because of the "ball" system used I can see going to another holder if your tablet is too big, I can use my iPad Air and even my old heavy iPad 2 with it perfectly.

Make sure you have the latest version of the app - the IOS update just before Christmas brought much improved functionality. And it looks fine to me - but ugliness/beauty is subjective. I used to love Jaguar cars and the Apple GUI until they became ugly.

personally I have no problem with the way the iOS version looks on my iPad Air 2, I do regularly use an Android tablet because it has a dedicated HDMI output to feed my goggles, but have no problem using the iPad. Yes Autel didn't bother making a dedicated iPad version, in fact if your App Store is set on the iPad to look only for iPad versions it will not see the Explorer app, and yes I feel that's pretty weak of Autel, whom I think, feel tablets are not important judging from the Mickey Mouse phone holder they provided. BTW I have the LifThor and can't see it not working with any tablet, the actual holder provided is large and deep, but because of the "ball" system used I can see going to another holder if your tablet is too big, I can use my iPad Air and even my old heavy iPad 2 with it perfectly.
Thanks for the input. However, I have a problem with apps that just “blow up” for the tablet version. I won’t use PayPal on the iPad because they couldn’t be bothered to create a specific version. I understand that Autel may be short on resources but I couldn’t get an answer from support as to whether or not they are even working on it.

As for the LifThor device my Tab A 7” is significantly smaller than even an iPad Mini. I guess I should contact the company.

Tbh, I can't see what's wrong with the display on my iPad Mini - albeit I don't have a phone screen to compare it with. What are the issues?

Have you tried plugging your goggles into your controller directly to see if you get a feed? That would be so nice if you could plug in your HDMI goggles directly into your controller, if this was possible a phone\tablet really would not be needed at all.

Thanks for the input. However, I have a problem with apps that just “blow up” for the tablet version. I won’t use PayPal on the iPad because they couldn’t be bothered to create a specific version. I understand that Autel may be short on resources but I couldn’t get an answer from support as to whether or not they are even working on it.

As for the LifThor device my Tab A 7” is significantly smaller than even an iPad Mini. I guess I should contact the company.
I may be easily impressed or perhaps I don't have a good eye, but the app on my Samsung Tab S4 looks stunning. It could look better, but it isn't as bad as you make it sound.3560
Have you tried plugging your goggles into your controller directly to see if you get a feed? That would be so nice if you could plug in your HDMI goggles directly into your controller, if this was possible a phone\tablet really would not be needed at all.
Don't you need the explorer app to decode the video feed?

I may be easily impressed or perhaps I don't have a good eye, but the app on my Samsung Tab S4 looks stunning. It could look better, but it isn't as bad as you make it sound.View attachment 3560

Don't you need the explorer app to decode the video feed?
I guess they need to come out with goggles that run android..

As your tablet gets
Tbh, I can't see what's wrong with the display on my iPad Mini - albeit I don't have a phone screen to compare it with. What are the issues?
As someone that works in the industry the aesthetics of it probably bother me more than they should. It is not the video feed but rather the size of the text and menus. They have not been modified to be an appropriate size for the the tablet. In other words, I am getting exactly the same menus and text on the tablet app as on the phone app instead of it being re-configured to better use the larger screen area of a tablet.

I know, I should "Get a Life" but my OCD won't let me!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller