Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo speed limit - standard mode

truesword

Reaction score
Whats the story with 'Standard Mode' and 'speed settings'?

Had the unit in the air yesterday and decided to switch to 54km/h from 36km/h (in standard mode) BUT the craft max speed was set at 36km/h, would not go any faster.
I then set the unit to the lowest setting, I think it was 18km/h, checked the display and it flew at this speed. Tried ludicrous mode at 72km/h and wow, yes it flew at this speed.

Why cant I set it to 54km/h and fly at this speed - should I disable avoidance detection?

IMG_0004.PNG

Whats the story with 'Standard Mode' and 'speed settings'?

Had the unit in the air yesterday and decided to switch to 54km/h from 36km/h (in standard mode) BUT the craft max speed was set at 36km/h, would not go any faster.
I then set the unit to the lowest setting, I think it was 18km/h, checked the display and it flew at this speed. Tried ludicrous mode at 72km/h and wow, yes it flew at this speed.

Why cant I set it to 54km/h and fly at this speed - should I disable avoidance detection?

View attachment 3416
I believe that OA must be disabled to go any faster than 22MPH

Reactions: Hawkeye Alaska
I think their software just needs refinement so that if you select the higher speed, you get the OA warning and the craft operates at 54km/h (much like ludicrous mode) rather than the pilot haphazardly trying to work out why its not working. Also another thing I found the hard way is if you are in a headwind, it will also lose altitude @ 54km/h much like it does @ 72km/h to pickup speed. DJI drones dont do this, I really wish Autel implemented an option to turn it off.

I think their software just needs refinement so that if you select the higher speed, you get the OA warning and the craft operates at 54km/h (much like ludicrous mode) rather than the pilot haphazardly trying to work out why its not working. Also another thing I found the hard way is if you are in a headwind, it will also lose altitude @ 54km/h much like it does @ 72km/h to pickup speed. DJI drones dont do this, I really wish Autel implemented an option to turn it off.

It indicates in the manual that this effect will occur in a headwind I believe.

I am too chicken to put my $1000 investment at the highest speed limit. I usually fly over water and I read stories about people losing their aircraft by flying too fast, cause the aircraft will drop a few feet due to the wind force.

I am too chicken to put my $1000 investment at the highest speed limit. I usually fly over water and I read stories about people losing their aircraft by flying too fast, cause the aircraft will drop a few feet due to the wind force.
Just look at your drone. By the time you go from A to B, at most you would have lost 10', and once you let go of the throttle, it regains altittude.

Watch this video from Autel.
Thanks, so the video manual then?

My findings is that the Evo will also lose altitude fighting a headwind in standard mode 54kmh when OA is disabled, which is not mentioned in this video nor the PDF manual (which appears to be in need of updating).

Thanks, so the video manual then?

My findings is that the Evo will also lose altitude fighting a headwind in standard mode 54kmh when OA is disabled, which is not mentioned in this video nor the PDF manual (which appears to be in need of updating).
Contact Autel and let them know. Perhaps they haven't realized this. They are only humans after so don't put your blame on me...don't put your blame on me.

Reactions: Hawkeye Alaska
Contact Autel and let them know. Perhaps they haven't realized this. They are only humans after so don't put your blame on me...don't put your blame on me.

Who said anything about blaming anyone? I'm simply posting my findings so that others dont get caught out like I did and have to land their drone in a less-than-ideal location. I suspect Autel's engineers are well aware of this and have simply not communicated it to their respective L1/2 support teams. It's quite common in large organisations that the left hand doesn't talk to the right.

My other thought is the Evo just doesnt have as powerful motors or the software just isnt allowing it. The Evo (at least on paper) is rated for an 18A draw max, whereas looking into my airdata logs on the mavic's past flights, I can see it climbing into the "red zone" 20-25A. This would of course mean the battery is being drained harder at the expense of some longevity. This is just speculation of course.

I spend a reasonable amount of time understanding how it behaves in adverse conditions so that I get into the situation of watching my prized possession float away... again.

Who said anything about blaming anyone? I'm simply posting my findings so that others dont get caught out like I did and have to land their drone in a less-than-ideal location. I suspect Autel's engineers are well aware of this and have simply not communicated it to their respective L1/2 support teams. It's quite common in large organisations that the left hand doesn't talk to the right.

My other thought is the Evo just doesnt have as powerful motors or the software just isnt allowing it. The Evo (at least on paper) is rated for an 18A draw max, whereas looking into my airdata logs on the mavic's past flights, I can see it climbing into the "red zone" 20-25A. This would of course mean the battery is being drained harder at the expense of some longevity. This is just speculation of course.

I spend a reasonable amount of time understanding how it behaves in adverse conditions so that I get into the situation of watching my prized possession float away... again.
lol I guess you don't didn't get the joke or heard the song.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller