Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo Speed Issue - Top Speed 10mph going forward

FatPandaFrank

Reaction score
I bought an Evo around the holiday season and admittedly have not had the chance to even fly it until this weekend. Prior to flying I updated the firmware and also calibrated the RC. Took me a bit to figure out how to actually take off but it was easy to fly once I got it off the ground.

I could only get it to go 10mph going forward and 22mph going backwards. I tested it while the drone was going away from me so it was going the same direction, just facing differently. I had it on standard mode. Anyone ever have this issue? Is there a setting I'm missing? Any fixes?

You were probably flying towards the sun or a reflective surface. If you turn off the sensors, the drone will fly at 22mph.

You were probably flying towards the sun or a reflective surface. If you turn off the sensors, the drone will fly at 22mph.

Hm. That makes sense. I was flying over a body of water but I was also 250-300 feet up. I will have to try it again with the sensors off and see what happens.

Check to see if you have Beginner or Novice mode selected, it can also limit the speed. I've flown mine at full speed over water that high with no issue (other than wind). Also try flying with just RC on its own initially. I find sometimes the app on the phone can introduce its own issues.

Sounds like you were heading into a wind and then turned away from it.

Check to see if you have Beginner or Novice mode selected, it can also limit the speed. I've flown mine at full speed over water that high with no issue (other than wind). Also try flying with just RC on its own initially. I find sometimes the app on the phone can introduce its own issues.

I know for sure I had novice mode turned off and even tried it with ludicrous mode and has the same issue. I haven’t tried flying it with just the remote. I’m going to try that tonight.

Hm. That makes sense. I was flying over a body of water but I was also 250-300 feet up. I will have to try it again with the sensors off and see what happens.
Hi, I have the same issue. Novice mode is off. I thought the issue was the wing gusts from the South East..I was flying in a strong headwind. My 3dr solo and parrot Bebop 2 does not have this issue.

Only diff with the Evo is obtacle avoidance sensors. Did disabling obstacle avoidance fix the problem ?

Hi, I have the same issue. Novice mode is off. I thought the issue was the wing gusts from the South East..I was flying in a strong headwind. My 3dr solo and parrot Bebop 2 does not have this issue.

Only diff with the Evo is obtacle avoidance sensors. Did disabling obstacle avoidance fix the problem ?

Nope. Didn’t fix it, just made it more out of control. Really frustrating.

Tried using just the RC as well and it didn’t fix the issue either. It’s really annoying me.

So.. flight out , no matter what wind direction , can't fly at max speed. RTH is fine at full speed ?

I fly over a river inlet, to the Bay. I thought my issue was a strong gusty headwind. My old 3dr solo has no problem with strong headwinds.

Can you play back your flight log ? Is the flight speed steady ? My speed out was jumping around 10 to 24 mph.. that's why I thought it was due to wind gusts.

I will check the firmware update changelog.. maybe they fixed some problems

Nope. Didn’t fix it, just made it more out of control. Really frustrating.

Tried using just the RC as well and it didn’t fix the issue either. It’s really annoying me.
Try recalibrate the RC sticks, it might be out of alignment.

Reactions: UnRanged
I just reached out to Autel and will be sending it in for possible repairs.

I have tried re-calibrating the RC, using different modes, using different batteries, etc and getting the same results. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I had same problem... I re-calibrated my RC 3 times, and after each time, the speed crept from 20mph to 25mph. Ground wind was calm, but I suspect strong wind at 400ft AGL.

Later, I came back to it with the hope this problem goes away, and was able to reach 45mph in ludicrous mode. Wind conditions same as above mentioned, and with few drops of rain. I did have fresh battery but didn't re-calibrate the RC... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My Evo was doing the same as you stated, I recalibrated the command sticks and resolved the problem.

Reactions: WayneH
Well, I got my drone back from Autel. Whatever they did they fixed the issue but they said that there wasn’t anything wrong with it. It’s a lot more responsive and is going the right speed forward and backward. I’m a lot happier now.

Well, I got my drone back from Autel. Whatever they did they fixed the issue but they said that there wasn’t anything wrong with it. It’s a lot more responsive and is going the right speed forward and backward. I’m a lot happier now.
They probably reloaded the firmware and that fixed your issue.

I had similar issue making think I needed to recalibrate the controller... then, it seemed to have fixed itself after the last firmware update... 1.3.46.

I really hate when people don't read the entire post and jump right to giving the reply I'm about to give you, but sometimes it's applicable, so here's some sound advice...

It can't be overstated how important it is to read the manual when you purchase one of these, even if you already have a drone. You should have a good understanding of things like obstacle avoidance, firmware updates, novice mode, BATTERY CARE, etc. It can only help and make you a better UAV pilot.

Reactions: WayneH
I really hate when people don't read the entire post and jump right to giving the reply I'm about to give you, but sometimes it's applicable, so here's some sound advice...

It can't be overstated how important it is to read the manual when you purchase one of these, even if you already have a drone. You should have a good understanding of things like obstacle avoidance, firmware updates, novice mode, BATTERY CARE, etc. It can only help and make you a better UAV pilot.

Way to jump to conclusions yourself. I had the latest firmware update, tried it, with obstacle avoidance on and off, tried it with standard, novice mode, and ludacrus mode and was having the same results. I spoke with Autel support several times before they asked that I sent it in. Something was indeed wrong with it. Not sure what it was because they wouldn’t tell me but it’s now fixed.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58