Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO RTK Map Process with 4 GCPs and 2 CHECKPOINTS

jmason702

Reaction score
Riddle me this, Your input please? @Blade Strike and everyone else, This was a well-flown map.
I am processing the same map without checks...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-09 080441.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-10-09 080441.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot 2021-10-09 080901.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-10-09 080901.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2021-10-09 080820.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-10-09 080820.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 2021-10-09 080744.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-10-09 080744.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2021-10-09 080634.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-10-09 080634.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2021-10-09 080548.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-10-09 080548.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 36
I have the data set with the CSV file, if someone would like to process it in PIX 4D or Metashape??

The drone was receiving corrections from my base, the base is connected to NTRIP. During the entire flight had a great fix. when I landed and switched the base from tripod to bipod, It lost fix for a couple of seconds.
Then I proceeded to collect the data with the receiver at my ground control targets with a perfect fix. Then drone does a Lil better when receiving corrections from the base rather than just through NTRIP. do to I am very near the base when flying the mission. and the base gets correction data from NTRIP up to 60km away.

The drone was receiving corrections from my base, the base is connected to NTRIP. During the entire flight had a great fix. when I landed and switched the base from tripod to bipod, It lost fix for a couple of seconds.
Then I proceeded to collect the data with the receiver at my ground control targets with a perfect fix. Then drone does a Lil better when receiving corrections from the base rather than just through NTRIP. do to I am very near the base when flying the mission. and the base gets correction data from NTRIP up to 60km away.

I'm just going to be stepping into the RTK realm with the E2E so take this for what it's worth.

I would suggest that you start by removing as much equipment as possible. For example, maybe a small project where you have 2 known points that won't rely on you determining their coordinates. Then use one of them as a GCP and one as a CP. Use only the drone with a NTRIP connection. That way you have removed all of the variables. The points are not dependent on your measurement and you will be proofing the drone system only. See what you get. This is what I will be doing.

If you run a demo like this, I would be happy to process it in Metashape for a comparison to DD.

Last edited:
You can use my points for whatever you want, use only 2 of them as CPs if you'd like. As far as the E2E, I would be hesitant on getting that drone. I was told it does not use the RTK info in the Geotagging of photos, just for drone stabilization, Also will not connect to a base, and the camera is not good for mapping with its small sensor.
I also have the 640T witch I love for thermal.
I have always read it's better to connect to a base station that is getting corrections from NTRIP. Then is just the drone getting corrections from NTRIP? As the base is so much stronger and better at receiving corrections.

I am processing the same map now with just GCPs. And mabey I should reprocess another one without any GCPs or CPs. to compare all data.

SO one map is checkpoints and GPCs, Next is just GPCs, and next is all drone...

I'm just going to be stepping into the RTK realm with the E2E so take this for what it's worth.

I would suggest that you start by removing as much equipment as possible. For example, maybe a small project where you have 2 known points that won't rely on you determining their coordinates. Then use one of them as a GCP and one as a CP. Use only the drone with a NTRIP connection. That way you have removed all of the variables. The points are not dependent on your measurement and you will be proofing the drone system only. See what you get. This is what I will be doing.

If you run a demo like this, I would be happy to process it in Metashape for a comparison to DD.
I do not know of any area that I could mission with know points already. Wish I did, I know I could look up mount points on record with the county. but the areas would be hard to fly more than likely...

As far as the E2E, I would be hesitant on getting that drone.
E2E = Evo II Enterprise w/RTK module.

I have always read it's better to connect to a base station that is getting corrections from NTRIP. Then is just the drone getting corrections from NTRIP?
I know NTRIP correction accuracy is dependent on baseline length to the CORS station. Obviously accuracy degrades the farther it is. I don't know relatively speaking how much more accurate (if any) using a stationary base is than just applying corrections directly. The corrections are coming from the same distance.

E2E = Evo II Enterprise w/RTK module.

I know NTRIP correction accuracy is dependent on baseline length to the CORS station. Obviously accuracy degrades the farther it is. I don't know relatively speaking how much more accurate (if any) using a stationary base is than just applying corrections directly. The corrections are coming from the same distance.
My bad on the drone, I would think they would perform the same Since the EVO RTK is just for RTK purposes.

Here is a comparison. close to the same size map and number of photos etc... not perfect but not too far off either.

The first one is without base, the second one is with base... Thoughts

Attachments

• with out base station.jpg
    with out base station.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 28
  • with Base Station.jpg
    with Base Station.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 29
When just using NTRIP receiving a fix takes like 30 to 60 seconds, when using a base fix is like 3 to 5 seconds. If any of this matters I am not sure...

Now I am even more confused... Same map using just GCPs no checkpoints

Attachments

• Drone and 4 GCPs 2.jpg
    Drone and 4 GCPs 2.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Drone and 4 GCPs.jpg
    Drone and 4 GCPs.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 17
I'm processing the same map again with no Checks, no GCPs ALL Drone

How did removing the checks make it worse?

So I am processing a 4th time, just using checkpoints and no GCPs

Since someone else will do it in Agi, I can do it in Pix4D Mapper (Desktop).
To share place the images and csv (GCP, CP) in a Google Drive or Dropbox folder and make sure to set the share settings right.

I am very interested in the Evo 2 RTK and have been following your adventures.

I currently use a Baamtech PPK kit on my Phantom 4 Pro V2 with excellent results, but it can be a very long processing workflow to get NAVD88 Geoid 18 based orthometric heights.

Reactions: jmason702
If none of this turns out right, Mabey it was just a bad/off day. Cause this is not following suit with other maps I did and will fly another map on another day...

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller