Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO questions for potential buyer

alekaras

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying an EVO and I'm wondering if you kind folk could answer a few questions:

1. Flight time: I see most people say that the flight time is more like 20-22 mins, instead of the advertised 30 mins. Do you believe this is something a FW update could address, or is it purely battery capacity?

2. Stability of video in high wind: how smooth does the video recording come out in more than 20-25 mph winds? Has anyone tested that?

3. Range: the best I have seen from some Youtube videos is 3.5 miles, but it looks like 2 miles is more the norm. Same question as with flight time: do you believe a FW update can address this, or is it purely dependent on weather conditions and interference?

4. Stability of video in max speed: when flying the EVO at close to its top speed (say 35-40 mph), is there any camera tilt (when accelerating and when turning)?

Thanks in advance!

First-time poster

I am thinking of buying an EVO and I'm wondering if you kind folk could answer a few questions:

1. Flight time: I see most people say that the flight time is more like 20-22 mins, instead of the advertised 30 mins. Do you believe this is something a FW update could address, or is it purely battery capacity?

2. Stability of video in high wind: how smooth does the video recording come out in more than 20-25 mph winds? Has anyone tested that?

3. Range: the best I have seen from some Youtube videos is 3.5 miles, but it looks like 2 miles is more the norm. Same question as with flight time: do you believe a FW update can address this, or is it purely dependent on weather conditions and interference?

4. Stability of video in max speed: when flying the EVO at close to its top speed (say 35-40 mph), is there any camera tilt (when accelerating and when turning)?

Thanks in advance!

First-time poster
1.) All drone manufacturers overstate the flight time by about 5 minutes, so this is normal. To get 30 mins, you have to be flying forward at a certain speed in no wind. You should get around the same flight time as the original mavic pro, or a minute or two less than the new one.
2.) The evo's video is very stable even in high wind.
3.) The Evo's range is at least as good or better than the original mavic. I have a mavic and it's signal can break up at one mile in the city.
4.) When flying max speed, you will see the props in your shot but the video should remain relatively stable.

Reactions: Brig57 and alekaras
I have a Spark, an Air, and a Typhoon as well as an Evo. Battery time is better on the Evo than any of them. The Evo's video is as stable as any of them with the possible exception of the H. Best range of the 4 and it's not even close. As stated above you may (depending on gimbal angle) see props in the shot, but that is going to be the case with most drones (outside of the H).

Thanks in advance!

First-time poster
In the end I would say you should definitely get the Evo if you have the money for it. It hits the sweet spot between the old Mavic and the new ones. It has a much better camera, flies as long or longer, is faster, has better range, better controller with the built-in FPV screen, better construction, and more.

In the end I would say you should definitely get the Evo if you have the money for it. It hits the sweet spot between the old Mavic and the new ones. It has a much better camera, flies as long or longer, is faster, has better range, better controller with the built-in FPV screen, better construction, and more.
I am really close, josh. My only other concern is how well it deals with interference. From what I have read and seen Occusync seems to be much more reliable in areas with interference. I really appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance!

First-time poster

Hey Alex! Looks like others have answered this, but I'll go ahead and answer too.. The more the better right?
1. My flight time has usually been right around 22 minutes. I'm not techie enough to know if firmware can improve this, but if I remember correctly the X-Star's flight time did not significantly improve with firmware updates.

2. Video has been smooth in all wind conditions...even somewhat smoother than my old X-Star (same size as a phantom) and my phantom 3. Even got a couple good night shots with 1/2 second exposure in 30mph winds.

3. Have gotten 3.5 miles over a lake without any signal loss (afraid to go farther due to battery) and a solid 1.2 miles in terrible conditions (from my backyard in the city, low altitude, through lots of trees and behind a hill.)

4. Haven't flown a ton in 'ludicrous mode' but when I have I haven't noticed any problems. There has been some altitude loss flying at max speed into a headwind but I haven't seen problems with video stability. There is a bit of a gimbal tilt issue (at any speed) but this has been mostly resolved with firmware updates. (I haven't been able to fly with the newest beta firmware yet but from what I've read this pretty much fixes it.). Props are in the shot when the gimbal is tilted all the way up but remember the Evo has a significantly wider field of view than the DJI drones.

I am really close, josh. My only other concern is how well it deals with interference. From what I have read and seen Occusync seems to be much more reliable in areas with interference. I really appreciate your input.
I have a Mavic and the Evo outperforms it in almost every situation, even in rural areas.

Buy it, you won't be sorry, I love mine. I just feel guilty because my XSP is just gathering dust.
The EVO is a great flying machine but I think the thing I like best is how quick I can get it in the air.

Greetings All, Had a question as I am receiving mine today, I bought the rugged bundle from Carolina Dronz and it comes with 3 batteries total.
Would you think I would have to update to last firmware with all three batteries ?

Many thanks

Norm

Greetings All, Had a question as I am receiving mine today, I bought the rugged bundle from Carolina Dronz and it comes with 3 batteries total.
Would you think I would have to update to last firmware with all three batteries ?

Many thanks

Norm

Hi Norm,

Yes, battery firmware gets updated automatically when you update the firmware, but you have to do it with each battery.

I am so close to pulling the trigger on the Evo, but one thing that is still bothering me is the props in the frame. Is this something a FW update could fix, or is it a design flaw?

I am so close to pulling the trigger on the Evo, but one thing that is still bothering me is the props in the frame. Is this something a FW update could fix, or is it a design flaw?

Design flaw.
Lowering the gimbal will help but the faster you go the lower you need to set your gimbal. This is a common problem on most UAV's

Reactions: alekaras
Just tilt the gimbal around 5 degrees or a little more. The camera is positioned of center to the left. Hence the left prop in view.

Reactions: alekaras

If you want to not see the props in your videos just put ND filters and voila you don't see them anymore.
See: Why use Neutral Density (ND) filters on a drone? FAQ

So make sure you order some when you get your EVO, I received mine this week and have just finished with updating to last firmware manualy.

Good Luck

If you want to not see the props in your videos just put ND filters and voila you don't see them anymore.
See: Why use Neutral Density (ND) filters on a drone? FAQ

So make sure you order some when you get your EVO, I received mine this week and have just finished with updating to last firmware manualy.

Good Luck

Sorry but filters are not going to fix the flaw of seeing the props, totally wrong telling people to buy filters to fix a flaw.

Reactions: SRJ_North East_CT
Sorry but filters are not going to fix the flaw of seeing the props, totally wrong telling people to buy filters to fix a flaw.

Did you check the link on my post ? From a DJI poster

Did you check the link on my post ? From a DJI poster

It will minimise prop shadow it will not remove props from your video. Two different things. You have to angle your gimbal camera down with the EVO and the X-star or you will get props in the video period.
Show me a video with filters on that do not show props in the video looking straight out.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials