Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo Pro 2 Focussing query

Autelpilotsnumpty

Reaction score
Having only ever had a Parrot Anafi and x3 Mavic 2 pros before, this Evo Pro 2 has me scratching my head.

I have just done a video of taking it out of the box and getting started in my living room, updating firmware etc.

At the moment it is sat on the coffee table, facing a wall and I am doing pictures and video to test sharpness.

The weird thing is the focussing, either in manual or auto does not seem to do anything.
With the Mavic 2 Pro the focussing changes were obvious and dynamic but on this Brand New Evo, nothing seems to do anything.

Being a typical man I have not read the manual, yet.

Is the focussing meant to be subtle or dynamically obvious like the Mavic?

Having looked at the first batches of Jpgs, focussing seems off in Auto or manual. For some reason, I have problems reading the DNG's in Photoshop or Lightroom. Affinity Photo lets me view the DNG's though.

I am sure I am doing something obviously wrong, can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Ah. It's subtle. Super subtle in AF. Nice. Also being super stupid, I noticed that the manual focusing measure needs to be clicked so the little blue marker is highlighted for the focus to happen. Doh.

I think I should read the manual. Sorry to bother you guys.

I understand how you feel. When I was a kid, I thought the manual was just extra garbage included in the packaging, like the silica bags. ?

I understand how you feel. When I was a kid, I thought the manual was just extra garbage included in the packaging, like the silica bags. ?
Isn't it for throwing on the fire in the winter to keep us warm? ?

• Haha
Reactions: Ansia
OK. I think I am going to shoot myself in the face. I have now had 4 new drones in the past month. x3 Mavic Pros and now this Autel. There have been sensor issues with all of them. DJI's service was shocking so I bought an Evo Pro 2.
This Autel is no excepton to the issues, unless I am being monumentally stupid?

Take a look at the pictures and Video. The video is only 1080p as I needed to fit it onto my onedrive for the vendor to see.

1 minute in there is some sort of issue with the bottom part of the video footage on the MP4 from the drone.
Plus, the dng's have an edge softness to the bottom right. Only at f5.6 is it better. Anything else has issues with the bottom right-hand corner.

Am I being too fussy or is there something wrong here?

The lens is clean and unscratched.
I shot this at 30fps at 60th shutter speed and let the iso do what it needed to do.

Spoke to Autel. Amazing customer service and quick too. I think my early morning has made me jumpy.
The person I spoke to said he reckons the shadows are clouds reflected in the Loch. Seems likely now I look at it again. Also suggested I calibrate the gimbal for the stills. Will try this tomorrow as I am super tired right now. At the moment I am feeling really stupid. Fingers crossed it's a super simple fix.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: charmin and Ansia
Autel suggested the focusing issue was a gimbal problem. I recalibrated that, 3 times.
I calibrated the Drone. I calibrated the controller. Still a soft spot on the bottom right in stills at f2.8 in various shutter speeds.
The reseller suggested the soft area was because the drone shutter speed was low. To me that would hold water if the entire shot was burry, not just one corner.
But, I did not want to be defeated, I took the drone out this morning for some video and stills.
The stills showed the soft spot clearly. The video was a bust, as I recorded in H.265. I did not realise there needed to be a was whole transcoding exercise to convert the H.265 to H.264 before I coul play it.
That's when I noticed I could not follow a straight line with the drone. I tried four different goes and trying to fly straight down the road and each time it drifted off the line.
I ran out of time this morning so resumed my testing this evening.
My phone was in airplane mode and yet the drone drifted off to the right. When reversing it drifted to the left and also lost a bit of altitude.
In order to test this and video it I did another test at low altitude so my wife could video it.
Also, another odd thing. Without any input at all the drone would drift all by itself, it did this at 350ft at 1000ft away.
I left it hovering and the gimbal facing down in low light and it just headed off to the right without any input from me. Weird.
Will write my report for Autel and the reseller to see if they have any answers.

Last edited:
Concerning your last "odd thing", you are not the first to complain about the E2 drifting when you expect it to be going straight. I haven't tried this test with my E2P yet but here's a thought. During the controller calibration sequence, I noticed that the corners were pretty easy to hit accurately but the forward/back and right/left positions were harder to find with their small detent. It appeared that it would accept a position that was not totally within the detent. Could the calibration be confused if you don't hit the small detents exactly. Or, when you are trying to fly straight forward, are you sure that you are not inputting some sideways command too. Those detents are pretty small :( .

Reactions: Autelpilotsnumpty
Just tested it And it drifts without no input from me whatsoever.

Here is a link to what I mean.

It's just hovering, with no input and it's drifting.
This was after, another set of calibrations of the controller, gimbal and compass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rubik3x
Drifting is a confirmed bug in firmware v2.5.0 - covered many times on this forum already.

Roll your firmware back to v2.3.3 as even all this time later, there's still no sign of it being fixed in an update any time soon ?
I was not aware. Thank you. Will try this tomorrow morning.

• Wow
Reactions: charmin
Drifting is a confirmed bug in firmware v2.5.0 - covered many times on this forum already.

Roll your firmware back to v2.3.3 as even all this time later, there's still no sign of it being fixed in an update any time soon ?
Ah. I'm still on v2.3.3 and I haven't noticed the drifting problem.

• Haha
Reactions: PingSpike

Er. where would I find a copy of that firmware, please?
I cannot find it on the Autel website.

I assume it's straightforward to putting the bin file on the sd and letting the Drone do the rest?
No, you have to follow this.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy