Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo not responding to Pause button caused crash!

Black Dog Drone Ops

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with using the pause button?

I was flying onsite today when my Evo battery gave the first low warning. Within a second or two it started the RTH function which would have been NO GOOD since there were some tree limbs overhead. I pressed the pause button to get control and land manually but it totally ignored the pause action and flew right up into the tree limbs, then of course dropped to the ground. There didn't seem to be too much damage other than a couple scrapes but after powering it up, the gimbal now goes crazy and I get a Gimbal Status Abnormal warning. I have tried to reset / recalibrate the gimbal and compass and nothing helps. It also flies forward very slowly but all other directions are fine. I still get a good camera feed as well, but the gimbal has just gone insane.

this cannot be a good thing, not being able to take control of an automated function in an emergency like this.

I had a similar issue which you will find a video for elsewhere in this forum, my connection failed mid flight and prompted rth which after pressing the pause button , did not pause. I was told you needed to press and hold for it to cancel the action, but the video above explains clearly that it will stop the action by just tapping the button cancels by pressing and holding. I tapped with no result and yes connection was already established then.

Reactions: Black Dog Drone Ops
I had a similar issue which you will find a video for elsewhere in this forum, my connection failed mid flight and prompted rth which after pressing the pause button , did not pause. I was told you needed to press and hold for it to cancel the action, but the video above explains clearly that it will stop the action by just tapping the button cancels by pressing and holding. I tapped with no result and yes connection was already established then.

Neither tapping or long press had any effect on mine. It simply did not respond at all.

This is interesting just to see what is the proper way to pause the function..Possible bug since the video explains it clearly? Correct me if I'm wrong (only had the EVO for a few days and probably just 2 hrs flight time so far) but isn't there a way the cancel the RTH by clicking on the "pop-up" that flashes on the screen. If the pause button does NOT cancel a RTH, we would need to know that. Maybe the pause button will not cancel a "failsafe" initiated RTH or land?? The video does not mention that pausing will work on the "critical battery force land"?

Last edited:
Reactions: Black Dog Drone Ops
This is interesting just to see what is the proper way to pause the function..Possible bug since the video explains it clearly? Correct me if I'm wrong (only had the EVO for a few days and probably just 2 hrs flight time so far) but isn't there a way the cancel the RTH by clicking on the "pop-up" that flashes on the screen. If the pause button does NOT cancel a RTH, we would need to know that. Maybe the pause button will not cancel a "failsafe" initiated RTH or land?? The video does not mention that pausing will work on the "critical battery force land"?
I agree. I did pretty much exactly what the video shows and there was absolutely zero reaction - the Evo just continued straight up at a pretty fast speed into the tree limb. With only a couple seconds to react and manage the whole situation, once I tried the Pause button, there was no time to look for the on screen option.

I am not new to flying drones, by any means, having flown mostly DJI products for years and I also work with a number of professional organizations on various drone programs and outreach. I am very familiar with how flight controls *should* behave and in this case, the pause function did not work at all. This could have been worse had it been a different type of emergency.

I have contacted Autel support and they are arranging to have it shipped in for a 3-week stay. I would also like to add that the inability to view flight logs with the Evo is pretty limiting as well. How are pilots supposed to review their flight missions? I understand this is in the upcoming software release but I do not use beta software for regular missions so it was not installed on this Evo. The more I own and fly this drone, the more the limitations start to stand out.

Reactions: jmbsmt63
I agree. I did pretty much exactly what the video shows and there was absolutely zero reaction - the Evo just continued straight up at a pretty fast speed into the tree limb. With only a couple seconds to react and manage the whole situation, once I tried the Pause button, there was no time to look for the on screen option.

I am not new to flying drones, by any means, having flown mostly DJI products for years and I also work with a number of professional organizations on various drone programs and outreach. I am very familiar with how flight controls *should* behave and in this case, the pause function did not work at all. This could have been worse had it been a different type of emergency.

I have contacted Autel support and they are arranging to have it shipped in for a 3-week stay. I would also like to add that the inability to view flight logs with the Evo is pretty limiting as well. How are pilots supposed to review their flight missions? I understand this is in the upcoming software release but I do not use beta software for regular missions so it was not installed on this Evo. The more I own and fly this drone, the more the limitations start to stand out.

I agree about that pause button's function and am curious if that is either right or wrong so please update if you get any confirmation/input? I think it slipped through as a bug during updates/etc?

I am currently using the beta firmware and software and have zero issues! I do understand if you don't want to experiment with beta stuff but it is good that they are letting the people willing to do that have the experience. The logs do appear to be present with the latest beta app/firmware but I, personally, haven't tried to check that function out yet! I don't normally need the log but I can see the value to someone that does need them!

You can view flight logs. You have to have the Beta app. Android.
Thanks Wayne. Yes, I know that is supposed to be in the beat but I mentioned above that I avoid beta software since I use my Evo for work and I don't want to deal with potential bugs or incomplete functions. After this problem though, I'm wondering if this could have been a software issue with the current full release version.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottD