Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO-II's "open window" of opportunity.

Cliff Totten

Reaction score
Without having my EVO-II Pro yet, I "believe" it has the best imaging system on a folding drone today. (At least as far as the HARDWARE is concerned)

We know DJI blew it with their Mavic-II Pro using an IMX183...but NOT using it's full Sony readout modes. It either did a 4k partial-read "high quality" 1:1 center crop, or they did full width read but then sub-sampled and binned that down to 4k "FOV" mode. (non HQ mode) At no time were they able to do a full pixel readout. So,....they never "really" gave us what the IMX183 could really do. For two years, we have lived with this.

Now the EVO-II Pro enters the stage. They give us Sony's latest IMX383 fully stacked BSI sensor. This is the "Ferrari" of 1 inch-type chips. Autel gives us FULL 5.5 pixel width readout on this baby and gives us SLog-2 as well off that. (supposedly in 10bit soon)

This an absolute class-leading imaging system today....but how long with that last? We certainly know that DJI is watching and they will return fire with the Mavic-3 Zoom (likely IMX586 with 2x optical zoom) and their own 1 inch-type sensor camera. (almost guaranteed to be the same IMX383 as the EVO-II Pro) When DJI fires back,...they will fire back very HARD at Autel.

This means that Autel has a small window of opportunity to gain new customers and fans during DJI's "down-time". Autel better take FULL advantage of this window and reach out to customers and social media as strongly and as deeply they can.

What are your guys thoughts on this. What can Autel do in the next 3-6 months to hook in more fans? How does Autel capitalize on this narrow window and make the very most of it?

CT

Last edited:
I don't believe DJI will answer the Evo II. DJI has changed focus into commercial and industrial drones. They will continue to release prosumer drones, to keep costumers happy, but they will no longer be competing a saturated market for meager earnings. Just my honest opinion.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Facinating! So you don't see DJI making a Mavic-3 Pro? At all?

I have to believe that the Mavic Pro series has been a successful profitable one. Why would DJI not think a version 3 would continue that?

You expect Autel to operate "alone" (mostly) in the future inside this $2,000 folding drone space?

CT

I believe DJI WILL respond with a Mavic 3 Pro. For one thing it was rumored for early this year, so I think they have an updated platform, I would bet they are tweaking it to be an EVO ll Pro buster. For one thing the M2P/EVO ll Pro are decent bottom end platforms for industrial use.
Rolling shutter is a drawback but available FLIR
and other applications for LE and Fire Rescue
not to mention real estate etc. Even Parrot Anafi has adapted their small travel drone to industrial applications. Bit the volume remains in consumer demand which offsets R&D even though the profits margins are likely less.

Facinating! So you don't see DJI making a Mavic-3 Pro? At all?

I have to believe that the Mavic Pro series has been a successful profitable one. Why would DJI not think a version 3 would continue that?

You expect Autel to operate "alone" (mostly) in the future inside this $2,000 folding drone space?

CT
DJI will make a Mavic 3 series. I just think it won't come either late this year or next year. They already have 2 great Mavic 2s and the Phantom 4 Pro, releasing a new Mavic will kill both of these. What I mean is, DJI is no longer in the business of crushing their competitors in the prosumer market, hence the release of the Mavic Air 2, instead of the Mavic Pro 3.

I don't believe DJI will answer the Evo II. DJI has changed focus into commercial and industrial drones. They will continue to release prosumer drones, to keep costumers happy, but they will no longer be competing a saturated market for meager earnings. Just my honest opinion.
I agree. That’s where future growth in the drone industry lies...

My opinion? Not worth much, but maybe DJI is changing focus due to their failed efforts to get their NFZ system adopted by everyone and their "drone ID" system adopted. DJI is not even one of the companies invited to the consortium of companies coming up with the drone ID system for the US. Having said this...I don't know anything, so ignore it.

Getting back to the OP....you are spot on. Autel has a huge opportunity to make significant inroads into the professional community with the Evo II Pro. Not as polished as a DJI craft, but the camera is top notch, and no enforced NFZ...this is a huge deal for a lot of folks who make a living with drones. Lets hope they don't blow it. Competition is great and the drone world needs it badly, in the high end prosumer market.

I'm not as optimistic that DJI is going to sleep on the EVO-II Pro. I dont think that DJI likes Autel out there playing in DJI's sandbox. I strongly believe that the $2,000 folding drone market space is significant for DJI. I just have to believe it's profitable for them and that DJI will need to "flip" all the Mavic-2 customers over and recycle them again into the next Mavic-3 product wave. My guess is that it's going to happen in July now that Autel has won it's court case against DJI. DJI has also been discounting Mavic-2's to move them off the shelves. This is all to make room for the next product/customer turnover.

Again, I have to believe that Autel has only a couple of months to make waves and raise Hell before DJI returns fire against Autel.

My EVO-II Pro shipped yesterday and I will FINALLY have it on Thursday! I'm super excited to tear the entire imaging system down and take a deep look inside of it!

CT

Reactions: mreloc and Quad808
I'm not as optimistic that DJI is going to sleep on the EVO-II Pro. I dont think that DJI likes Autel out there playing in DJI's sandbox. I strongly believe that the $2,000 folding drone market space is significant for DJI. I just have to believe it's profitable for them and that DJI will need to "flip" all the Mavic-2 customers over and recycle them again into the next Mavic-3 product wave. My guess is that it's going to happen in July now that Autel has won it's court case against DJI. DJI has also been discounting Mavic-2's to move them off the shelves. This is all to make room for the next product/customer turnover.

Again, I have to believe that Autel has only a couple of months to make waves and raise Hell before DJI returns fire against Autel.

My EVO-II Pro shipped yesterday and I will FINALLY have it on Thursday! I'm super excited to tear the entire imaging system down and take a deep look inside of it!

CT
DJI did the same with the Phantom 4 series. For more than a year they didn't produce 1 unit. Then all of a sudden, started making them again.

I think DJI will still have to pay some $$ to Autel, usually this is what happens. Rare to have products banned for sale, which is what the original order was against DJI. Not sure if Autel can appeal this ruling or not. If there is $$ involved, they will appeal for sure. Lawyers want to get paid. LOL

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller