Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo II vs. Tropical Storm

RetArmy

Reaction score
In case you had any doubts about how well this bird can handle wind. This is steady 40+ mph gusts off the east coast of FL today. The storm that is showing as possibly becoming a Tropical Storm :). I think I sold 4 more drones today with the folks that were impressed with this thing. Nobody had ever seen a drone handle this weather. I got full flight battery of around 30 minutes in this weather too boot. So, the drone didn't act like it was working hard to do this.

I had one guy ask me if I as full sticks to keep it out there. I took my hands off the remote and let him watch it hover on its on :). This was NOT in Ludicrous mode. So, it for sure could handle even higher wind. DJI holds nothing over this drone's flight characteristics. That myth is busted in this video.

(1) Evo II Pro 6k vs. Tropical Storm - YouTub

Please subscribe and share :).

Put it two hundred feet up and see how it does ;)

funny you should say that. Was virtually the same wind speed at that altitude as well. Instead of 42-43 it was 46-47. So almost no difference. This Evo II is a beast in the wind. That wind noise was for real. Had to yell at each other in order to be heard over the wind when people asked me questions.

Everybody that walked by had the same thought. Literally 4 people asked me which drone it was. 2 of them had cheapo drones looking to upgrade. So, I probably helped sell a couple today.
Hope you told them about the firmware issue ;) lol

• Haha
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Interesting.

Fun fact: You get wind wistle after 20 knots.

The wind was blowing so hard that when I brought the drone out of my truck it practically took off by itself. I suspect that is why I got full battery as I was getting wind aided energy on the props. The motors didn't have to work to spin the props since they were practically spinning themselves. Unless we get a hurricane passing by closer, I'm not likely to have winds like that again. When I lived up north in the plains, we'd get sustained 50+ mph winds fairly often. That's not happening in FL w/o a hurricane.

The wind was blowing so hard that when I brought the drone out of my truck it practically took off by itself. I suspect that is why I got full battery as I was getting wind aided energy on the props. The motors didn't have to work to spin the props since they were practically spinning themselves. Unless we get a hurricane passing by closer, I'm not likely to have winds like that again. When I lived up north in the plains, we'd get sustained 50+ mph winds fairly often. That's not happening in FL w/o a hurricane.
I'm not questioning your video. I know that there are drones that can fly at 45mph winds. I've flown my Phantom in such winds. I was just posting a fun fact.

I'm not questioning your video. I know that there are drones that can fly at 45mph winds. I've flown my Phantom in such winds. I was just posting a fun fact.

I love fun facts !! Keep them up !!! And yea, the phantom handles the wind really well as I suppose many of the bigger drones do because of weight. Watch how well the Evo sort of dips its wings into the wind and just sits there though. Hovering in 40mph not flying. Hovering steady in that wind is a much harder task. I presume in Ludicrous mode it could take even more wind not that I would want to try it. When the drone takes the wind better then me, probably not the time to be out flying :). I do want to fly the eye of a hurricane some day though with my drone :). But just a small one not a big one :).

Reactions: Ansia
I had one guy ask me if I as full sticks to keep it out there. I took my hands off the remote and let him watch it hover on its on :). This was NOT in Ludicrous mode. So, it for sure could handle even higher wind. DJI holds nothing over this drone's flight characteristics. That myth is busted in this video.

Ludicrous mode, hmm... I've flown mine, about 36km/h upwind and only 72 down. I would expect more than 100km/h downwind. Looks like EVO uses ground speed for the modes, not airspeed. Thanks for the video, good to know and impressive.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy