Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO II Spins out of control

scott.g

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
My Evo II 8k is just a couple months old.. its been weird since Ive had it, here is the results of some tests I ran this week.

Would love any feedback.
First, I have the latest software which I have reinstalled a few times.. I have calibrated the controller several times, calibrated the evo and done compass calibration. All more than once and Its never been crashed.

Issues.
All these test were under 25 feet.. on a flat soccer field in a very open space. Only using the Autel controller and explorer app on an android phone.
  • The Craft loses its distance measurement from the ground. The altitude readout on the app says it is a lot lower than it really is, often reading a below 0 (-) value as I land. Most of the time when landing it says -10 feet -14 feet as it touches the ground etc.. This happens with obstacle avoidance on or off.
  • One time it landed 10 feet from the landing pad and 2-3 feet other times when using RTH.
  • Moving the left Joystick to the left or right (Yaw) causes the craft to rotate in a 3-6 feet circle.. It seems to lose its way.
  • When the drone is at say 10-20 feet altitude and I fly it sideways left or right using only the right joystick. the drone's altitude slowly decays toward the ground. It would crash if I kept moving it sideways. This happens with obstacle avoidance on or off.
  • The last recording I did in 8K had video glitches.. I don't mean playback problems I mean the video artifacts making it unusable. It had white areas flash at different times. I have reseated the cable and haven't tried it since..

I would contact Autel as to me the IMU ( Inertial Measurement Unit ) is not working or faulty and needs replacing. Not much you can do to correct it if thats the case.

Thanks Agustine..
I have contacted them.. looking at a return, just wondered if I missed something

Thanks

Hi Scott G,
You do realize that the barometer in these machines are Mass produced and work off the air pressure.
If you fly into a shaded area where the air is cooler the barometric pressure will change also and that will give you a different height reading. Some of the uav's years ago were lucky to be accurate to within 20 ft or 6 meters at any time. Just some info for you. John Hennessy.

That is interesting. However, this is a constant permanante under all situations happening..

Imagine doing some mapping and the altitude readings fluctuated all over, or doing some waypoint inspections.. this would be a mess.. I have sent it back to Autel. Ill let you all know what happens.

Thanks for your thoughts..

That is interesting. However, this is a constant permanante under all situations happening..

Imagine doing some mapping and the altitude readings fluctuated all over, or doing some waypoint inspections.. this would be a mess.. I have sent it back to Autel. Ill let you all know what happens.

Thanks for your thoughts..
Yes Scott, that is a problem, and mine fly very stable. So there is obviously something wrong with your machine. I hope that they sort it out. It took years to get YUNEEC TYPHOON H models stable .
Without three point gps positioning ,like rtk , we are relying on the barometer and gps and the firmware that interprets it for the IMU to process. I think that from all accounts Autel fixes things if it is there fault or equipment. That flying sideways and it decends at the same time, Yuneec had a problem with oxidation on the contacts of the potentiometers and it was fixed by stirring the sticks before you start the controler or if that did not work a good spray with plastic safe and non residue contact cleaner. It is still a habbit of mine with all of our controlers to stir the sticks before turning on the controler. Safe flying. Johnno Hennessy.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller