Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO II Pro won't fly after firmware update

Ohshowprods

Reaction score
Hello Group!

I'm new to the Autel Pilots group and brand new to drones (old school videographer). So, I just got my EVO II yesterday and already there are issues. First I can't use my old LG Aristo 2 Android phone to run the app, (Autel Tech support says NO!) it won't connect to the controller, and, now after updating to the latest firmware the drone won't fly, it powers on, but the props won't go... I just get this message on the controller that says: "Connect App to activate the aircraft". I see there are others who have had issues in the past after updating the firmware too. I called and spoke with a EVO tech support and they have no clue as to what is wrong. BTW, it powered up and started flight before the update yesterday. Any suggestions would be helpful, I would love to get this thing in the air and start to learn to fly as soon as possible, even without the App. Thank you for your help!

Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
Hello Group!

I'm new to the Autel Pilots group and brand new to drones (old school videographer). So, I just got my EVO II yesterday and already there are issues. First I can't use my old LG Aristo 2 Android phone to run the app, (Autel Tech support says NO!) it won't connect to the controller, and, now after updating to the latest firmware the drone won't fly, it powers on, but the props won't go... I just get this message on the controller that says: "Connect App to activate the aircraft". I see there are others who have had issues in the past after updating the firmware too. I called and spoke with a EVO tech support and they have no clue as to what is wrong. BTW, it powered up and started flight before the update yesterday. Any suggestions would be helpful, I would love to get this thing in the air and start to learn to fly as soon as possible, even without the App. Thank you for your help!

Prior to the latest version of the firmware you did not have to activate the craft to fly. Since you updated the firmware to the latest version it will not fly until it is activated. To activate the EVO II, you will need a tablet (or phone) connected to your controller and you will then need to power on the EVO II. The tablet (or phone) will also need to be connected to the Internet at the same time. The Explorer app will detect that the EVO II is not activated and it will use the Internet connection to activate the EVO II...you will then be good to go.

More than likely whatever you are using on your tablet or phone is either not the latest Explorer version or it does not have an Internet connection. I would provide the exact steps but my EVO II is already activated so I am going a bit by memory here. I do remember having to take my iPad mini out of Airplane mode and connect it to my WiFi in order to activate the EVO II. I am really surprised that Autel Tech Support was so clueless though...good thing I've never needed to call them for anything. I guess it is possible that they have not been trained on the latest firmware.

Prior to the latest version of the firmware you did not have to activate the craft to fly. Since you updated the firmware to the latest version it will not fly until it is activated. To activate the EVO II, you will need a tablet (or phone) connected to your controller and you will then need to power on the EVO II. The tablet (or phone) will also need to be connected to the Internet at the same time. The Explorer app will detect that the EVO II is not activated and it will use the Internet connection to activate the EVO II...you will then be good to go.

More than likely whatever you are using on your tablet or phone is either not the latest Explorer version or it does not have an Internet connection. I would provide the exact steps but my EVO II is already activated so I am going a bit by memory here. I do remember having to take my iPad mini out of Airplane mode and connect it to my WiFi in order to activate the EVO II. I am really surprised that Autel Tech Support was so clueless though...good thing I've never needed to call them for anything. I guess it is possible that they have not been trained on the latest firmware.
Hi herein2021, thanks for your reply!. We were able to finally get it working when I borrowed my GF's Iphone! So I have to get a newer phone to fly with the app and phone.

Try starting the drone first. That is what works for me for now.

Hi herein2021, thanks for your reply!. We were able to finally get it working when I borrowed my GF's Iphone! So I have to get a newer phone to fly with the app and phone.

That's good to hear, technically you now do not need the app or a phone after the EVO II is activated, I know @UasDriver only uses the remote, but yes I do recommend a tablet or phone to get the most out of the EVO II. I personally would never fly with a phone and instead use a dedicated iPad mini for all of my flying but I know many people use their phone. Before you buy a tablet or phone I recommend you read this thread to see what other people are doing.

Are you trying to load the app via Play Store (or other site), or, have you downloaded the app from Autel site, then manually load onto android? If you have not tried the manual load via download from Autel, give that a try.

Reactions: PingSpike
Hi Eagle928, will do and thanks for your reply to my post!
That's good to hear, technically you now do not need the app or a phone after the EVO II is activated, I know @UasDriver only uses the remote, but yes I do recommend a tablet or phone to get the most out of the EVO II. I personally would never fly with a phone and instead use a dedicated iPad mini for all of my flying but I know many people use their phone. Before you buy a tablet or phone I recommend you read this thread to see what other people are doing.

I would get a phone or something you can run the App with out the App. you can not load your flight record and God for bid if something happen you have no record on what happen. for Autel that will be the first thing they will ask for good luck

Reactions: gschulzuio
for Autel that will be the first thing they will ask for
other than flyoff, my understanding, the AC internal memory holds important, Autel data. I'm really still working on the "mechanics" of pilot, videographer. Once I'm there, i'll add bells n whistles. Hoping that the "future" brings an EVOII style AC paired with something like my DELL 7 core with a RC "flight" docking unit. Then i'll break out the lawn chair :)

My new EVO II is having the same issue. I have connected it to my tablet. The message the bottom of the app says. The download succeeded. But says upgrade available. When I click start upgrade the tablet reads drone battery is below 25% every time. The batteries are freshly charged and show fully charged all green lights.
I have tried to pair the drone to the controller and no bueno.

Any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong. I had 3 successful flights no issues whatsoever and after the update the drone doesn’t pair with the controller.

Also I noticed that the drone no longer makes the start up sound either.
So for instance when I power it up the lights come on. It gives a long yellow up front and a long red in the back. At least a 10 sec pause and then again.

Hello Group!

Autel Explorer app doesn't work with older versions of Android.

• Haha
Reactions: PingSpike
My new EVO II is having the same issue. I have connected it to my tablet. The message the bottom of the app says. The download succeeded. But says upgrade available. When I click start upgrade the tablet reads drone battery is below 25% every time. The batteries are freshly charged and show fully charged all green lights.
I have tried to pair the drone to the controller and no bueno.

Any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong. I had 3 successful flights no issues whatsoever and after the update the drone doesn’t pair with the controller.

Also I noticed that the drone no longer makes the start up sound either.
So for instance when I power it up the lights come on. It gives a long yellow up front and a long red in the back. At least a 10 sec pause and then again.

For many different reasons, some of which include issues such as this. I always update by loading the firmware file onto the SD card. Please keep in mind you will continue to get upgrade notices if there is a battery firmware update included in the package. So if you have multiple batteries you will have to do the update multiple times. I never never never use the over-the-air method. I have had issues with it in the past. Every single time I do the upgrade by loading the firmware onto the SD card I have never had an issue ever! And as mentioned above, make sure you have the corresponding Explorer application for the most recent firmware otherwise that will cause more issues.

Reactions: gschulzuio

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller