Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo II Pro v2 Lost Link Issues

Jim Brammer

Reaction score
Received my new E2P v2 last week and started doing test flights. In the first 4 hours of flight time I've had two lost control link occurrences - the first one was with the E2P only about 10 feet away from me at an altitude of 5 feet. I had to power cycle the controller in order to reestablish the control clink, then I was able to land the drone manually. The second lost control link occurred when the drone was about 40 feet away form me and about 60 feet high. In this case, I was unable to reestablish the connection so the drone went into auto RTH and landed safely.

Has anyone out there had this type of problem and, if so, what have you done to resolve it?

I've read recently about the 4Hawks antenna - is it worth the investment and will it help to increase the signal strength of the control link?

As background, I've been flying DJI drones commercially since 2014 and never had a problem with a lost control link. This E2P is my first departure from the DJI ecosystem - not a good experience so far . . .

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: SARty
Received my new E2P v2 last weed and started doing test flights. In the first 4 hours of flight time I've had two lost control link occurrences - the first one was with the E2P only about 10 feet away from me at an altitude of 5 feet. I had to power cycle the controller in order to reestablish the control clink, then I was able to land the drone manually. The second lost control link occurred when the drone was about 40 feet away form me and about 60 feet high. In this case, I was unable to reestablish the connection so the drone went into auto RTH and landed safely.

Has anyone out there had this type of problem and, if so, what have you done to resolve it?

I've read recently about the 4Hawks antenna - is it worth the investment and will it help to increase the signal strength of the control link?

As background, I've been flying DJI drones commercially since 2014 and never had a problem with a lost control link. This E2P is my first departure from the DJI ecosystem - not a good experience so far . . .

Sorry to hear this is still an issue. It has been since day 1 with the Evo II v1. I've seen the same behaviors in wilderness locations with no nearby interference (including environmental).

Raising these issues here was only met with "that's not a problem for me, mine works great" type responses. Although I did have some good conversations with folks via DMs that had similar experiences. Sadly, it sounds like Ocusync 2 and 3 are still king, even after all this time. Is this an issue with hardware, firmware, software, design, or what? Radio isn't all that complicated.

I would recommend taking a look at the Alientech Duo II Pro instead. Especially since you have a dual band v2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Brammer and G_G
Can echo your guys experiences. I’ve had 2 brand new Evo 2 Pro V2 devices that lose connection when just feet away. I’ve gotten the dreaded “Connecting…” with my drone 10 feet in front of me and 8 feet off the ground while landing. Only fix has been to power cycle the controller.

It’s ridiculous and dangerous. I hate myself for spending $2200 on this thing.

@Jim Brammer, @uberamd have you guys been in contact with Autel about your experiences?

I had been hoping these issues would be addressed in firmware and software updates for all versions, but especially with the v2 hardware updates.

@SARty Yes - I did contact Autel support late last week. Even thought my firmware was showing the current version, they advised to do two things: 1) manually reinstall the firmware and 2) rebind the controller to the aircraft. They also suggested that, after moving to a new location to fly, I should repeat the rebinding process (the same thing you do when recalibrating the compass after moving to a new location). I did the first two things and flew one battery without problem. Will move to a new location later this week, rebind, and fly through a couple of batteries to further test it. Stay tuned . . .

Also, thank you for the recommendation on the Alientech Duo II Pro antenna. Haven't bought it yet as I hate to spend any more money on this thing until I'm sure it's gonna work . . .

@SARty Yes - I did contact Autel support late last week. Even thought my firmware was showing the current version, they advised to do two things: 1) manually reinstall the firmware and 2) rebind the controller to the aircraft. They also suggested that, after moving to a new location to fly, I should repeat the rebinding process (the same thing you do when recalibrating the compass after moving to a new location). I did the first two things and flew one battery without problem. Will move to a new location later this week, rebind, and fly through a couple of batteries to further test it. Stay tuned . . .

Also, thank you for the recommendation on the Alientech Duo II Pro antenna. Haven't bought it yet as I hate to spend any more money on this thing until I'm sure it's gonna work . . .

Rebinding for every new location, regardless of distance? First I've heard that recommendation. @Blade Strike, any thoughts on this?

No problem, happy to help. The Alientech isn't cheap, but will hopefully last a long time and be forward compatible.

Reactions: Jim Brammer
Rebinding for every new location, regardless of distance? First I've heard that recommendation. @Blade Strike, any thoughts on this?

No problem, happy to help. The Alientech isn't cheap, but will hopefully last a long time and be forward compatible.
A bind Shouldn't be required at a new location. The same with compass and IMU, this should not be done with a known good config.

Firmware, sounds like the root cause. mismatch on radio versus craft.

@Blade Strike That’s what I said when the Autel Tech Support Rep told me to re-bind at each new location. Her response was that they suspect the new transmitter chip in the E2P v2 may have issues with environmental RF that can be solved by re-binding. Please don’t shoot the messenger - This doesn’t make sense to me either.

@Blade Strike That’s what I said when the Autel Tech Support Rep told me to re-bind at each new location. Her response was that they suspect the new transmitter chip in the E2P v2 may have issues with environmental RF that can be solved by re-binding. Please don’t shoot the messenger - This doesn’t make sense to me either.
Well if you continue to have issue try it and please report back. I find that hard to believe since binding is a handshake of digital device id.

Trust me, no shooting the messenger at all, just an odd response from the rep.

Received my new E2P v2 last week and started doing test flights. In the first 4 hours of flight time I've had two lost control link occurrences - the first one was with the E2P only about 10 feet away from me at an altitude of 5 feet. I had to power cycle the controller in order to reestablish the control clink, then I was able to land the drone manually. The second lost control link occurred when the drone was about 40 feet away form me and about 60 feet high. In this case, I was unable to reestablish the connection so the drone went into auto RTH and landed safely.

And as someone already mentioned... "mine works great" ;-)

This was exactly why I dropped DJI - non-stop disconnects. I haven't had a single one with the E2P.

Reactions: Blade Strike
I've been using auto, have to re-select it each time I switch batteries or turn on the controller.
And yea, it's buggy. Controller says "aircraft disconnected" when the aircraft is hovering 10' above.
But it re-connects immediately.

I'll switch to one of the bands or just let it stay at 2.4ghz as it seems to want to do anyway. See if that changes the behavior.

Interesting situation. I had mixed results with "Auto" at first, getting shorter range, and a reluctance of the radio to change bands out of 5.8 -where it normally starts in Auto. Then a week or two later it began giving me much better range, and switching to 2.4 at long distances as I expected (not a radio geek, but understand the basics).
Even better with V2 Smart Controller, which I've had for a whole 1.5 days, lol.
My only issue is 2.1.57 FW keeps repeatedly trying to install (not battery related, though I will run it on each of 4 batteries tonight.

Anyone know if release notes for the mystery firmware versionv2.1.57 are available somewhere? I would maybe try the 2.1.61 beta, if I knew how to do beta on the V2 SC. Other than Enterprise owners there's not many if us out here, since they just started shipping to V2 non Enterprise pre-orders last week.
One other oddity: On page 8 of the V2 SC Quick Start Guide it describes the "AutomaticTakeoff and Landing Button, complete with a picture of said button. Come ON, Autel. That must have been on the concept drawing in late 2020 - V1 controllers also have no such Button. That it is in the guide for hardware that has nothing of the sort would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. By the way, anyone know of the Full Manual referenced in the QS Guide? If so it's hiding out pretty successfully.

Other than Enterprise owners there's not many if us out here, since they just started shipping to V2 non Enterprise pre-orders last week.
Enterprise orders are have just been sent out within the last 2 weeks in the US too.

By the way, anyone know of the Full Manual referenced in the QS Guide? If so it's hiding out pretty successfully.

I have looked around for the SC manual too. I've only been able to find the Quick start guide.

Enterprise orders are have just been sent out within the last 2 weeks in the US too.

I have looked around for the SC manual too. I've only been able to find the Quick start guide.
Well, yeah - I'm painfully aware of the Enterprise shipments since they have V2 SC's yet I was waiting for my fully paid pre-order since early August. I was shocked how fast the Enterprise units started shipping after I saw them announced, right after I cracked open my new V2, else I would have grabbed one. In retrospect, I wonder what woes await the cutting edge Enterprise owners. Things like where to buy spares of those mega props, and other issues related to their unique size. Where to buy a small case if you wanted to travel light... guess that's limited to the hobbyist with deep pockets though. Most will ride in that big old wheelie case. Still want one. But it won't be happening anytime before I go commercial.

Interesting situation. I had mixed results with "Auto" at first, getting shorter range, and a reluctance of the radio to change bands out of 5.8 -where it normally starts in Auto. Then a week or two later it began giving me much better range, and switching to 2.4 at long distances as I expected (not a radio geek, but understand the basics).
Even better with V2 Smart Controller, which I've had for a whole 1.5 days, lol.
My only issue is 2.1.57 FW keeps repeatedly trying to install (not battery related, though I will run it on each of 4 batteries tonight.

Anyone know if release notes for the mystery firmware versionv2.1.57 are available somewhere? I would maybe try the 2.1.61 beta, if I knew how to do beta on the V2 SC. Other than Enterprise owners there's not many if us out here, since they just started shipping to V2 non Enterprise pre-orders last week.
One other oddity: On page 8 of the V2 SC Quick Start Guide it describes the "AutomaticTakeoff and Landing Button, complete with a picture of said button. Come ON, Autel. That must have been on the concept drawing in late 2020 - V1 controllers also have no such Button. That it is in the guide for hardware that has nothing of the sort would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. By the way, anyone know of the Full Manual referenced in the QS Guide? If so it's hiding out pretty successfully.
Beta FW resolved all issues for me. Range and disconnection.

Documentation would help a lot, in this and other issues I've seen.

Let me know if you want me to expand on what I've already posted here: Uneven Evo II Enterprise Airframe.

Well, yeah - I'm painfully aware of the Enterprise shipments since they have V2 SC's yet I was waiting for my fully paid pre-order since early August. I was shocked how fast the Enterprise units started shipping after I saw them announced, right after I cracked open my new V2, else I would have grabbed one. In retrospect, I wonder what woes await the cutting edge Enterprise owners. Things like where to buy spares of those mega props, and other issues related to their unique size. Where to buy a small case if you wanted to travel light... guess that's limited to the hobbyist with deep pockets though. Most will ride in that big old wheelie case. Still want one. But it won't be happening anytime before I go commercial.

I just received my ent. kit. The case is small when compared to my P4P GPC cases. That is due of course to the folding design of the Evo II. TBH, I would be fine with a larger case that didn't require the craft to be folded. You are not alone in wanting unobtanium elements of the kit. I have the v.2 SC but also need a standard controller which is...wait for it... unobtanium.
We're in this together, mate!

I just received my ent. kit. The case is small when compared to my P4P GPC cases. That is due of course to the folding design of the Evo II. TBH, I would be fine with a larger case that didn't require the craft to be folded. You are not alone in wanting unobtanium elements of the kit. I have the v.2 SC but also need a standard controller which is...wait for it... unobtanium.
We're in this together, mate!
@advexure has props in-hand but is waiting on pricing and SKU information from Autel. They've also been shipping V2 airframes with standard controllers... I'd hit them up for what you're after.

@advexure has props in-hand but is waiting on pricing and SKU information from Autel. They've also been shipping V2 airframes with standard controllers... I'd hit them up for what you're after.

Thanks Hal. They currently do not have stand-alone v.2 controllers nor know when they will. They are probably in the container after the stand-alone v.2 SCs. 😞

Thanks Hal. They currently do not have stand-alone v.2 controllers nor know when they will. They are probably in the container after the stand-alone v.2 SCs.
Thanks Hal. They currently do not have stand-alone v.2 controllers nor know when they will. They are probably in the container after the stand-alone v.2 SCs. 😞
Sitting off the coast of California... waiting to be processed... 😞

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles