Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO II Pro & Mapping Solutions

Radioman56

Reaction score
Hi Guys!
I recently have had an opportunity to add a bunch of Mapping jobs (in my primary area of business in Chicago's Class C & Class B airspace) to my workflow and have added the EVO II Pro Rugged Bundle
to continue this workflow without DJI Geo-fencing issue constantly slowing me down. I have an Autel EVO I and love the darn thing!
My question is: Drone Deploy and PIX4D don't seem to support the new EVO 2 Pro for mapping. Can anyone point me in the direction of a mapping software solution that supports the New EVO 2 Pro?
My purchase decision was partly influenced by the Marketing on their Website that stated the EVO II Pro is the "perfect choice for any aerial cinematographer and mapping pilot".
It was also to have the more detailed images and video that I could more easily post process to my liking for current clients. Having used my P4P in the past for
basic mapping projects (still very new to the field) I expected to be able to use the EVO II Pro for any new jobs. That might have been my mistake for not investigating further,
but seeing how they are partly marketing the EVO 2 Pro on the website for mapping I may have assumed incorrectly. Thanks again for any help!!

You can use the built-in Mission Planner in the Explorer app to create and execute your missions. Yes, this mission planner is nowhere near the capabilities of Pix4D capture, however it's been working great in a lot of our testing and demoing.

You can then bring your image data set into Pix4D Mapper and although there is not yet a lens profile for the EVO II cameras, you can enter the camera parameters manually.

Note: The new public beta version of the Explorer app has added support for multi-battery missions. You can see that information here: Autel Robotics Downloads

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 11.29.38 AM.png

Reactions: MichaeMuni
You can use the built-in Mission Planner in the Explorer app to create and execute your missions. Yes, this mission planner is nowhere near the capabilities of Pix4D capture, however it's been working great in a lot of our testing and demoing.

You can then bring your image data set into Pix4D Mapper and although there is not yet a lens profile for the EVO II cameras, you can enter the camera parameters manually.

Note: The new public beta version of the Explorer app has added support for multi-battery missions. You can see that information here: Autel Robotics Downloads

View attachment 7122
Thanks! I'll give that a try!!

I was under the impression that EVO II had a rolling electronic shutter, which is not the best solution for photogrammetry. P4P will still be the preferred bird for mapping.

I was under the impression that EVO II had a rolling electronic shutter, which is not the best solution for photogrammetry. P4P will still be the preferred bird for mapping.
I guess that would be true if you can take off all the time without the NFZ nags you get and waiting for authorization from China to actually fly the flight plan.

I guess that would be true if you can take off all the time without the NFZ nags you get and waiting for authorization from China to actually fly the flight plan.
That's why I backed firmware down with NoLimitDrones so that DJI can't prevent me from flying when it thinks I'm not authorized. I keep two P4P's with older F/W and one with current F/W for the rare occasions that I need it. Also mostly fly Litchi so don't have GO4 constantly nagging to update F/W and risking an accidental update. Have flown many times with LAANC authorization in otherwise restricted airspace with never a peep out of the P4P's with older F/W.

That's why I backed firmware down with NoLimitDrones so that DJI can't prevent me from flying when it thinks I'm not authorized. I keep two P4P's with older F/W and one with current F/W for the rare occasions that I need it. Also mostly fly Litchi so don't have GO4 constantly nagging to update F/W and risking an accidental update. Have flown many times with LAANC authorization in otherwise restricted airspace with never a peep out of the P4P's with older F/W.

Yup thats a good solution for Part 107 pilots to take. Just be mindful when and if you every crash your UAV and there is an investigation as to why they will find you circumvent security with NoLimitDrones firmware. Also your insurance will be void as you lied about being up to date on firmware.
Just pointing this out to you.

Reactions: Ansia
I have done mapping with my Evo 1. Unless you need precise measurements, it will perform just fine.

So what is the rely to what ap to use when mapping ? Which company wil support the EVO 2 pro , and the files? That is where I am confused.I like the Autell mapping however I must have something wrong cause I sure cannot map autonomously as the way points are to far apart and the mission aborts. That frustrating. Is it just me or can i not map where I want if its in reason of VLOS. Thank You

You will use the Explorer app mission planner to take the photos. You can do various missions and simply join the mission photos during processing. I don't know about what softwares support the Evo 2, but I have done photogrammetries with the Evo 1 and Agisoft Metashape, and I know for a fact that Metashape does not support the Evo, but rather uses the EXIF data within the photos to process the photogrammetry.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d