Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO II Payload Drop System (Navigation or Landing Light Activated)

Junior

Reaction score
Evo II payload drop system using a system designed for the Dji M2. Only changes are for the sensor that mounts to the navigation light.

Got tired of waiting for a payload drop mechanism that didn't need to be modified to function on the EVO II. This system works perfectly without any modifications to the release mechanism. You will need to modify the mount for the sensor that is triggered by the navigation light.

With a 1" piece of 1"id sch 40 pvc, a Dremel, 3" of small wire to extend the lead for the sensor and about 1hr your done.

Drop system

The system does not sit lower than the bottom of my Dual camera.

I know it is not a out of the box solution, but finding a drop system that does not have to be modified to fit on the airframe, does not interfere with sensors or ground clearance is nice.

Attachments

• drop 2.jpg
    drop 2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 218
  • drop 5.jpg
    drop 5.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 193
  • drop 4.jpg
    drop 4.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 194
  • drop 1.jpg
    drop 1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 200
  • drop 3.jpg
    drop 3.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Video of a test flight this afternoon. I live at 6000' and the winds were gusting a little. Load was 1lb with a 6' leg. I tried a 2lb load and the aircraft lifted it and could do forward flight, but would not maintain height at a hover.

Evo flt test 1lb.mp4

Note:
This drop system is only rated to 1.1 lb.

Last edited:
Got tired of waiting for a payload drop mechanism that didn't need to be modified to function on the EVO II. This system works perfectly without any modifications to the mount or release mechanism. You will need to modify the mount for the sensor that is triggered by the navigation light.

With a 1" piece of 1"id sch 40 pvc, a Dremel, 3" of small wire to extend the lead for the sensor and about 1hr your done.

Drop system

I know it is not a out of the box solution, but finding a drop system that does not have to be modified to fit on the airframe, does not interfere with sensors or ground clearance is nice.
Ya beat me to it! I ordered one and it's being shipped to Ohio. I'm getting on a plane to fly there, but my Evo won't get there until June 10. Congrats!

Evo II payload drop system using a system designed for the Dji M2. Only changes are for the sensor that mounts to the navigation light.

Got tired of waiting for a payload drop mechanism that didn't need to be modified to function on the EVO II. This system works perfectly without any modifications to the release mechanism. You will need to modify the mount for the sensor that is triggered by the navigation light.

Drop system

Thank your post. Here is video we made of a great stock release mechanism. It worked great. could be attached in various ways. In t video, we use only zip ties. Problem is, it is no longer on the market. all they did was to make various frames for attachments for the standard device. We are working on making like it one with a servo motor and 3D printing the box. We are hoping they will come back on the market with their product. We will look into you design.

Drop system

Nice idea, could the downward navigation light be used instead of the arm navigation light?

‘Hello
Nice idea, could the downward navigation light be used instead of the arm navigation light?
Hello Claude

I tried the Drone Skyhook release & drop device on my Evo 2 Pro, the downward light does activate the arm and release mechanism. Using the on/off downward light menu, it works.

Before takeoff, on the downward light menu place light to off position. Then, when Evo 2 is above drop area go to menu and press on, then off. It’s important to place downward light off position before takeoff, then when Evo 2 is above drop zone press on then off. Sometimes, I may need to repeat these steps twice but it will drop on the first or second set.

Forgot to include, make sure Release & Drop mechanism is activated before takeoff. Then confirm the downward light is in off position before takeoff, not on or auto position.

Take care,
Paul

Last edited:
Didn't think of that, 1 less step to activate/deactivate the drop mechanism. I have some photoresistors coming tomorrow to play with.
Put together a sensor for the landing light. 1/8" foam with the sensor sandwiched in-between using 3M dual lock to secure. As expected it works perfectly. Now that I have tried both sensors, I like the ease of clipping on and off the nav light sensor best. I have shortened the sling leg to 4' which lessons the oscillations of the load.

"Note"
The exposed connections to the sensor are coated with silicone.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20210531_115647.jpg
    thumbnail_20210531_115647.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 71
  • thumbnail_20210531_120056.jpg
    thumbnail_20210531_120056.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 70
  • thumbnail_20210531_120024.jpg
    thumbnail_20210531_120024.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 64

Drop system

I know it is not a out of the box solution, but finding a drop system that does not
i have a evo 2 and i want to turn the arm led on and off by pressing one button is that possible

i have a evo 2 and i want to turn the arm led on and off by pressing one button is that possible
There are programmable buttons A + B on the standard controller, and they just got new options with the newest software and firmware updates. A feature request for a one button solution might get it into the next update, if enough people ask for this feature, I'm thinking

Drop system

I have question ? how can you make it ?

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_20210725_142835929_05.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20210725_142835929_05.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 13

Drop system

I too modified a DROP SYSTEM MADE FOR DJI. I cut it in half and reoriented the two pieces of the drop system. It's a light activated servo release mechanism. The reoriented pieces, now glued together sit on the top of the drone and the servo release bar is against the middle side of the drone. The light activation sensor is attached to the landing light. I used 10 lb rated velcro to attach the system to the top of the drone. The wire for the light runs down the opposite side of the drone and sticks to velcro placed on either side of the landing light.

Drop system

Hi there I'm looking to do the same thing so that will just plug in and turn on the light activated it ?

Hi there I'm looking to do the same thing so that will just plug in and turn on the light activated it ?
You have to do a little modification of the drop system, but when done it is activated by turning on the forward navigation light (or landing light) in the Explorer app.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingraja