Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo Falls From Sky 500' Ludicrous Mode !

JMakEVO

Reaction score
Quick breakdown. Any help would be appreciated. The Autel App on Droid phone suddenly keeps "stopping" so after 2 days of deleting app and re installing I finally had a decent day to fly so I tried flying w controller. Went well for first 20 mins. Flew home. Installed 2nd fully charged battery. Went up about 500+ feet. Flew about 5 mins then switched to Ludicrous for my flight back home. As it's going overhead I suddenly lose connection and the Autel Evo 1 dropped from the sky! After 2 hours of searching I luckily found it. It fell in woods. Held up well considering speed and height BUT now I am scared to fly this thing.
What caused the disconnect when it was almost directly overhead with no interference of electric lines antennas etc etc?
Why can't I get the app to run? It keeps saying Unfortunately the App has stopped.
I'm new at Autel. Had it for about a month. Purchased from a place called BeachCamera.com which was excellent place and great deal on packaging additional batteries and accessories.
Has anyone else had this issue or heard of this? I haven't tested to see if it's still working yet. Just recovered it about an hour ago but thought it's important I include my experience since I have used this site for feedback while I was deciding which drone to buy for my first drone over $500.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_7085.JPG
    IMG_7085.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_7087.JPG
    IMG_7087.JPG
    730.8 KB · Views: 113
Actually even if the app disconnected it should not have just dropped. It should have rth. So something like a sudden battery drop likely happened. That would also explain the disconnect.
You said the battery was full but how long before the flight did you charge it?

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
No, it must be the new update, above 500 feet, the engines stop ..............
Everyone is crying that the limits have gone from 800 to 500 ...............4204920609.gif

No, it must be the new update, above 500 feet, the engines stop ..............
Everyone is crying that the limits have gone from 800 to 500 ...............View attachment 6763
This is false information. Please don't spread things like this. Besides, the limit is 500m, not 500 ft.

It's my opinion that he could have hit a bird.

Any of you folks still flying the XSP know disconnects from the App are a fairly common occurrence. As Tufargon said, it automatically RTH, or reconnects quickly. The 1st time it happened to me I practically soiled my pants b/c it was so far away. But I soon heard the whine coming back, then it reconnected, I kept flying. Sudden battery drop is always possible, Tufargon’s questions are essential info.
I think Ansia is right, you hit a bird or a hopefully a Mavic Pro...

Last edited:
I have on multiple times turned the remote off and set it on the ground to prove to people it would just RTH. Never failed.
Gutsy, but I believe you. I had a compass module failure, it took off to the right at full speed. When it got out of range and disconnected, it came home...

Well, to be honest the first time was real scary because all I knew is it was supposed to come back. I saw someone do it in a video. Try it some time hehe.
I would have sh$t myself if that would have happened to me lol.

• Haha
If that thing dropped from 500+ feet and thats all the damage you have.....buddy go out and by a lottery ticket.
I got lucky. It seems like it clipped a branch on way down which may have slowed it down a bit then the ground is heavily wooded but somewhat soft. It was a few feet away from a 20' boulder. That would of destroyed it. I swapped prop and seems to fly record and sensors working fine.
Actually even if the app disconnected it should not have just dropped. It should have rth. So something like a sudden battery drop likely happened. That would also explain the disconnect.
You said the battery was full but how long before the flight did you charge it?
Few mins use. I did not have the app connected at time of flight because app won't stay on. Flight w remote only. I had it in site and watched it just die and drop. I'm trying to see if this happened to anyone before. I know about battery and making sure it's clipped in tight and there was no reason to believe the battery Unclipped during flight. When I recovered it the battery was off the Evo laying 18-20inches away from it making me believe it got knocked off at impact w ground.

Thought so too
Peter. I don't know what you re talking about w 500 meter limit. I was flying slightly over 500 feet when my Autel Evo drone just dropped from the sky. I'm not sure what you re implying? I'm asking a question so it doesn't happen again for two reasons. I don't want any lose the drone and I don't want it hitting someone's house or car or person.
I never joined a group or forum before so I'm not sure what the politics are. I'm looking for info and to let people know this happened. I was flying remote only at the time because couldn't get app to work.

It sounds like a loss of connection between the battery and the drone. I am surprised that we are dozens of comments into this thread and no one has even mentioned the fact that flying at 500+ feet is potentially dangerous to manned aircraft and against FAA guidelines stating not to fly over 400 feet. Just saying.

that we are dozens of comments into this thread and no one has even mentioned the fact that flying at 500+ feet is potentially dangerous to manned aircraft and against FAA guidelines stating not to fly over 400 feet. Just saying.
Not even a full dozen and You did mentioned it
We are not cops in here and most are grownups.
Yesterday in my trip to search for my drone there was an airplane flying bellow 100 ft. for like 10 min from island to island. I wasnt flying my drone but was wondering whos fault would have been if he sneaked on me and hit my drone

Reactions: drrags
I got lucky. It seems like it clipped a branch on way down which may have slowed it down a bit then the ground is heavily wooded but somewhat soft. It was a few feet away from a 20' boulder. That would of destroyed it. I swapped prop and seems to fly record and sensors working fine.

Few mins use. I did not have the app connected at time of flight because app won't stay on. Flight w remote only. I had it in site and watched it just die and drop. I'm trying to see if this happened to anyone before. I know about battery and making sure it's clipped in tight and there was no reason to believe the battery Unclipped during flight. When I recovered it the battery was off the Evo laying 18-20inches away from it making me believe it got knocked off at impact w ground.
I wasn't referring to you not putting the battery in all the way. I was referring to a sudden battery drop which is common if the battery is not freshly charged (like within 24 hours of flight). This has happened to me twice (went from 68% to 6% instantly) and to many others here in the forum. But if that happened you would have gotten a warning from the controller. It may have been the impact that lodged the battery but that could be an indication it was not quite in securely even if you heard it clip. Either way I'd contact Autel so they can look at your flight records and determine the issue.

Not even a full dozen and You did mentioned it
We are not cops in here and most are grownups.
Yesterday in my trip to search for my drone there was an airplane flying bellow 100 ft. for like 10 min from island to island. I wasnt flying my drone but was wondering whos fault would have been if he sneaked on me and hit my drone
Remember the rules.... drones have to give way to all other aircraft...helicopters, airplanes, gyrocopters, balloons..etc. If we hit an airplane or helicopter, its on us. FAA would look to see what the airplane or helicopter was doing at that altitude, but there are lots of reasons they could be at that altitude and it doesn't change the fact that we have to give right of way to them. That is the whole reasoning behind the law not allowing you to fly beyond your visual line of sight....( like in the other video).... get it off youtube ;)

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles