Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo-doers alert - they might jail your drone...

autelBill

Reaction score
So I just updated firmware. Near the end of the procedure, the program slipped in a message about installing a "No Fly Zone" database that is "compulsory."

No further elaboration was offered other than vague phrasing about how it will allow users to "apply for a waiver if required by their local government" and some platitudes about safety and "for your own good." I assume "local" in this context means national.

I immediately tested the drone by flying through Class D (with LAANC reservation, of course). Despite that the drone could not have know about my LAANC reservation, it did not refuse to fly where I sent it.

Beyond that, I don't know how it affects US flyers.Screenshot_20210711-162137.jpg

hi bill, there is already another thread that speaks to this; thanks for alerting us and let us know if you do indeed find out anything more.

So I just updated firmware. Near the end of the procedure, the program slipped in a message about installing a "No Fly Zone" database that is "compulsory."

No further elaboration was offered other than vague phrasing about how it will allow users to "apply for a waiver if required by their local government" and some platitudes about safety and "for your own good." I assume "local" in this context means national.

I immediately tested the drone by flying through Class D (with LAANC reservation, of course). Despite that the drone could not have know about my LAANC reservation, it did not refuse to fly where I sent it.

Beyond that, I don't know how it affects US flyers.View attachment 10909

It doesn't affect US flyers at all. The "burb" was included to satisfy EURO Union requirements.

Reactions: jamess336
It doesn't affect US flyers at all. The "burb" was included to satisfy EURO Union requirements.
Don't assume that. It could affect US flyers at any time Autel that deems it in their best interest to activate the already embedded NFZ restrictions here, too! Should the FAA mandate manufacturers restrict flights, Autel will also immediately flip the switch. All US NFZ and UAS altitude maps are already on the drone, and currently only display an unremovable dialog box warning over your FPV, used for composition of video and photos. Converting those to an inability to fly would be child's play!

I had no issues flying after the update....here in south florida

Don't assume that. It could affect US flyers at any time Autel that deems it in their best interest to activate the already embedded NFZ restrictions here, too! Should the FAA mandate manufacturers restrict flights, Autel will also immediately flip the switch. All US NFZ and UAS altitude maps are already on the drone, and currently only display an unremovable dialog box warning over your FPV, used for composition of video and photos. Converting those to an inability to fly would be child's play!
And monkeys might fly! It's in Autel's best interest not to force no fly zones on their customers. DJI's overly restrictive firmware is why I (and many others) have switched to Autel.

Reactions: robertmarcos
And monkeys might fly! It's in Autel's best interest not to force no fly zones on their customers. DJI's overly restrictive firmware is why I (and many others) have switched to Autel.
The same argument could have been made for DJI, who did it anyway. Autel is seeking government approval of their enterprise drones, as that is where the real money is, which is why the chipsets have been changed. Autel's long term best interests may come at the expense of agreeing to make the NFZ's mandatory on all their prosumer drones, or the FAA could just decide to make them mandatory themselves for all drone manufacturers! It's inevitable. Enjoy the temporary freedom.

Reactions: robertmarcos
the faa is never going to require mandatory nfz in a drone.
All due respect, but based upon what information, other than your opinion?
Never is a very long time in an anti-drone climate.
What is stopping them?
Why exactly would the FAA not require mandatory drone NFZ's by default, along with permissive unlocks, to those with legitimate permissions, to fly in and around those NFZ's?
Why is Autel embedding NFZ maps and FAA UAS altitude limits into every drone they sell, and now forcing an update of those very maps?
Have you not witnessed how DJI incrementally locked down their drones, first with an optional "advisory" GEO(just like the current Autel unremovable warnings), and later making GEO mandatory?
Autel is just 3 years behind the curve, but if they want to be competitive, they won't be able to do it by letting their drones make the news for freely flying unfettered into NFZ's and causing havoc. The adverse publicity will give them a bad name as soon as one of their unrestricted drones is involved in a high profile "incident."
Randall said as much, and immediately retracted the statement that Autel would not impose NFZ's, by stating that they would do whatever was necessary to remain competitive, even if it meant upsetting their existing users!
The handwriting is on the wall.
Ignoring it won't make it go away.

Last edited:
All due respect, but based upon what information, other than your opinion?
Never is a very long time in an anti-drone climate.
What is stopping them?
Why exactly would the FAA not require mandatory drone NFZ's by default, along with permissive unlocks, to those with legitimate permissions, to fly in and around those NFZ's?
Why is Autel embedding NFZ maps and FAA UAS altitude limits into every drone they sell, and now forcing an update of those very maps?
Have you not witnessed how DJI incrementally locked down their drones, first with an optional "advisory" GEO(just like the current Autel unremovable warnings), and later making GEO mandatory?
Autel is just 3 years behind the curve, but if they want to be competitive, they won't be able to do it by letting their drones make the news for freely flying unfettered into NFZ's and causing havoc. The adverse publicity will give them a bad name as soon as one of their unrestricted drones is involved in a high profile "incident."
Randall said as much, and immediately retracted the statement that Autel would not impose NFZ's, by stating that they would do whatever was necessary to remain competitive, even if it meant upsetting their existing users!
The handwriting is on the wall.
Ignoring it won't make it go away.
I agree with you, I actually believe autel will eventually implement it....for sure. faa requirement...not so much. I say that with a bit of sarcasm.

Reactions: AirStag
The same argument could have been made for DJI, who did it anyway. Autel is seeking government approval of their enterprise drones, as that is where the real money is, which is why the chipsets have been changed. Autel's long term best interests may come at the expense of agreeing to make the NFZ's mandatory on all their prosumer drones, or the FAA could just decide to make them mandatory themselves for all drone manufacturers! It's inevitable. Enjoy the temporary freedom.
This, it's worth noting, is a bigger issue generally and has many facets. It touches on the question of whether we own our devices or specifically what ownership means in a legal sense. It applies to drones, coffee makers, printers, cars, tractors, phones... you name it. I just purchased a Samsung tablet for use with my RC and then it occurred to me that I can't root it like my Oneplus phone - so I can't transfer waypoint flight plans between the devices because the Autel Explorer app has no explicit provision to do so even though the files containing the flight plans are easily located. This goes beyond the more fundamental irritation that I cannot control the IP firewall without SU privilege. "For my own protection and security" - as so many will condescendingly tell me about "attack surface areas."

If you support right-to-repair laws as most people do, realize that the issue is very profound and very important. Cory Doctorow's essay: The Coming War on General-Purpose Computing it salient...

Please understand the system only hard
Locks in countries where its law. It’s informational ONLY in the US for example.

I agree with you on some of your points; if push comes to shove Autel will bow to governmental demands. But...as with the DJI drones the "no fly" zones of their firmware can be modified/eliminated ie

Actually Autel's real money maker is its automotive diagnostics division. Their drone division is the illegitimate stepchild of Autel Robotics corporate holdings.

Did you happen to watch the video interview with Autel's new and very young CEO? He appears to be very much in favor of letting the drone operators decide how they will fly. That said, it's only my opinion.

This is why I never update firmware or the app.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d