Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO batteries discharge rate.

San2C

Reaction score
Anyone else notice their EVO batteries discharge really fast when not in use? I just went out today and noticed all my batteries were at 56% or so since being charged less than a week ago.

Anyone else notice their EVO batteries discharge really fast when not in use? I just went out today and noticed all my batteries were at 56% or so since being charged less than a week ago.
That's a feature, not a bug, designed to prolong battery life. In the Explorer app, check your settings under the battery tab. You can set the auto discharge rate there.

Reactions: jcommstudios
OK... thanks. Having to constantly charge the batteries prolongs battery life?

No, Actually leaving the battery fully charged for long periods of time degrades the battery. That's the reason for the built in auto discharge.

I set mine to 3 days. It doesn't take long to charge them and i almost always know a day in advance when i'l be flying, so I have plenty of time to charge and prep. This way they sit fully charged for the least amount of time possible.

Using 4 batteries allows me to use about 40-50% and then switching to the next so I can put them away just as is.

Of course that's not always possible...

Sometimes I have to squeeze a little more juice out of the oranges. ;)

I set mine to 3 days. It doesn't take long to charge them and i almost always know a day in advance when i'l be flying, so I have plenty of time to charge and prep. This way they sit fully charged for the least amount of time possible.

Using 4 batteries allows me to use about 40-50% and then switching to the next so I can put them away just as is.

Of course that's not always possible...

Sometimes I have to squeeze a little more juice out of the oranges. ;)

So, what you're saying is that the less number of day that's set, the better in theory that is better for the batteries?

So, what you're saying is that the less number of day that's set, the better in theory that is better for the batteries?
I guess it would depend on how much you fly. If you have a schedule like me then a system like mine might work for you.

I think it also matters on whether or not the charge/discharge cycle itself can wear on a battery, I hadn't given it much thought until right now. I suppose it might be better to set the number higher if you were sure you'd be flying soon, in order to save your battery the stress of the discharge/charge process... if it is, in fact, is stressful. I haven't heard anything like that, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me.

(This is where I start driving myself crazy by overthinking non-issues)

Overthinking may not be what you and I are doing here exactly... it's a legit question and Autel obviously set it to 6 days default for a reason. We all would like to understand it better about the most ideal number of day to set to "save" maximize our battery lifespan - that's all...

The rule of thumb used to be 3 days and you should discharge your battery. Leaving a Lipo battery close to full charge is one of the worst things you can do. Over time Lipo batteries have improved and manufactures started using a ten day discharge as the longest you would want to leave your batteries near a full charge. I for one if not using a battery after day two I will discharge it to around 45%. My Anafi batteries are set for 10 days and I cannot change it in the App like our Autel batteries but it will discharge to some place around 40-60% and go into hibernation and the only way to use it again is to put it on the charger to wake it up.

Bottom line here is if you are not using your batteries for a while discharge them. This is your best option to keeping your batteries close to new performance.

You know what would be nice is a manual discharge feature where say you hold the battery button down for 15 or 20 seconds and it begins the discharge process, that way I won't have to sit there with my engines spinning trying to use up that last 15-20% of battery to get it down to storage level before i put it away.

One for the wish list maybe!

DJI recommends replacement after 60 cycles. I haven't asked Autel yet.
Probably close to that. Some claim 200, but that's crazy. Never seen that on any drone battery without some cell wear indicated.

Unfortunately batteries are just something to deal with. I think Evo warranty is 90 days on replacements at retailers. Evo gave a year on the drone IIRC, but the charge cycles, battery warranty were limited I think to around 60. Many getting around 50 and noticing the batteries are weakening. That's fairly common to all drone batteries, phones, power tools, cameras, and so on.

Always perform the basic maintenance. Be sure to check the cell levels when you fly. If they look off, or one cell really low, do not fly with that battery. Replace it. This is likely why so many drone users I have seen flip out when the drone just lands somewhere. Probably had a weak cell, and took off a good distance away. Not enough juice to return (probably returning upwind as well), it runs low, and then auto lands. When they auto land, they don't care where. Neighbor of mine works commercial HVAC. In the past 3 years he has found 4 drones on building roofs where they worked on HVAC units. Most recent one was a M2P on top of a school roof. He brought it over and we were able to determine the owner. Owner had insurance and said just toss it. I gave it to a local guy that fixes them. Internally was weathered and damaged beyond repair.

It looks like it the EVO still has the same warranty the X-Star has for its batteries. 1 year or 200 cycles.

Warranty
Autel Robotics (the Company) warrants to the original retail purchaser of this product, that should this product or any part thereof during normal consumer usage and conditions, be proven defective in material or workmanship that results in product failure within one year of purchase of new product, or 180 days on refurbished product, such defect(s) will be repaired, or replaced (with new or refurbished parts or products) at the Company’s option, with Proof of Purchase, without charge for parts or labor directly related to the defect(s). Some states do not allow limitation on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may not apply to you.

Obstacle Avoidance, Computer Vision and all other autopilot functions are not intended to completely replace the pilot and may not react in all situations or conditions. Accidental damages will only be covered under this warranty if there is an obvious failure of hardware or components.

The Company shall not be liable for any incidental or consequential damages arising from the use, misuse, or mounting of the device. The extent of Autel’s liability under this warranty is limited to the repair and replacement provided above and, in no event, shall its liability exceed the purchase price paid by purchaser for the product.

This warranty does not apply to:

1. Aircraft(s) not utilizing most current, or up to date, and publicly available firmware.

2. Battery that cycle charged more than 200 times.

3. Products subjected to abnormal use or environmental conditions, accident, mishandling, neglect, unauthorized alteration, misuse, improper installation or repair, or improper storage.

4. Products with signs of tampering or altering of the serial number label, waterproof mark, etc.

5. Products that have had flight log details altered or deleted.

6. Damage resulting from connection to, or use of any accessory or other product not approved or authorized by the Company.

7. Defects in appearance, cosmetic, decorative or structural items such as framing and non-operative parts.

8. Products damaged from external causes including but not limited to fire, water, dirt, sand, battery leakage, blown fuse, theft or improper usage of any electrical source.

NOTE:

1. All contents of the product may be deleted during the process of repair. You should create a back-up copy of any contents of your product before delivering the product for warranty service.
  2. If your product qualifies for warranty repair, please carefully review the after-sale service instructions at link before sending your products.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials