Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo 2's Panorama Stitching vs Photo Shop's Panorama Stitching - Evo 2's automated pano looks horrible compared to Photo Shop's automated pano.

quinn karter

Reaction score
1st Image: Photoshop's horizon isn't perfect, but it's very close. 2nd Image: EVO 2: The horizon is where you can really see the Evo 2's stitching fail. Otherwise it looks pretty good. Images were from the EVO2 8k. They were stitched together in the EVO2 itself and then in Photoshop.Photoshop Auto Panorama.jpgEvo 2 Auto Panorama.JPG

1st Image: Photoshop's horizon isn't perfect, but it's very close. 2nd Image: EVO 2: The horizon is where you can really see the Evo 2's stitching fail. Otherwise it looks pretty good. Images were from the EVO2 8k. They were stitched together in the EVO2 itself and then in Photoshop.View attachment 11312View attachment 11313

I am not a fan of either one to be honest with you. IMO nothing will get better results than shooting manually, overlapping 20% then using PTGUI to stitch the images. PhotoShop falls apart in complex situations where buildings are involved, the drone moved on a windy day, etc especially if you want to do a full spherical 360 panorama. PTGUI can let you recover from just about anything especially the latest version; it even automates filling in the sky at the top.

My workflow is to shoot all manual, overlap 20%, process all of the raw images in LR, stitch in PTGUI, send to PhotoShop for reconstructing small blemishes if the drone moved too much, then sending back to PTGUI to render the final website for 360 spherical panos.

Reactions: pwaitzman and G_G
For myself, all I want is a simple pano... not a fan of any of the 360° panoramas, spherical or otherwise. So for a simple panorama, I could not bring myself to pop for PTGUI. I ended up getting Affinity Photo to do a simple stitch. However it does seem to test my current hardware limits and fails... so many times I am using both Affinity and manually stitching in Photoshop, to get a usable final result.

BTW, I'm a dinosaur and refuse to pay for a subscription... so all of my work is done in Photoshop CS5. No import of lens corrections... no automated panos.

For myself, all I want is a simple pano... not a fan of any of the 360° panoramas, spherical or otherwise. So for a simple panorama, I could not bring myself to pop for PTGUI. I ended up getting Affinity Photo to do a simple stitch. However it does seem to test my current hardware limits and fails... so many times I am using both Affinity and manually stitching in Photoshop, to get a usable final result.

BTW, I'm a dinosaur and refuse to pay for a subscription... so all of my work is done in Photoshop CS5. No import of lens corrections... no automated panos.
I use 360 spherical pano's a lot. I'll take a spherical pano and import it into my 3D CGI software and it literally creates a sphere with the spherical panorama wrapped around it. The sphere, which remains hidden, reflects the scene off the CGI object.. It also reflects the proper lighting onto the false object. I use my drone (usually the Air2) to make the spherical pano's. Since the spherical pano isn't seen directly, I don't have to have it perfect. Having the drone stitch it saves me time.

Windows ICE is a pretty interesting product. Not much customization and not many options, but if the conditions were perfect when the drone shot the images it actually does a decent job: Image Composite Editor - Microsoft Research

Beta version 2.7.30 The Panorama stitching has flows and degrades the final image.
*-*-* Give us a choice, to stitch or not and proceed to the next Panorama without draining the already low battery ! !
**--** What's surprising is the same images when used in ICE come out good, Thanks to Microsoft for offering us such a wonderful but totally Free software and many choices.
The other PT Gui what a rip off. cost $149.99

*-* I found a way " To Stop Stitching Process " aster it starts stitching and on screen BW picture turns back in to color I switch Mode to Manual and then back to Panorama and start shooting again ! ! !

I had ordered 4 USB- C cables on one end and USB- A on the other this way I should never have to take out my Micro SD card again.
**--** WRONG, it does not work, Autel makes Small Stupid mistakes time after time when it comes to common sense !

My 7 inch Lenovo does not work as it has far too much delay showing the image, correct it please !

* * * * In Flight control Advanced settings, please lower the EXP to 0.06 at least to make the movements even gentler and smoother !
**--** I personally need my Flight Control, Sensitivity Yaw Movement lowered down to 04%
My Brake works great at 56% and Attitude set at 20%

* * * * * Why can't I set the Drone speed to 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or any speed that suits my video needs, not just fixed 11 mph with Obstacle avoidance even in Panorama Mode and every other Mode too.

**--** The Remote control battery very often needs charging, why you committed this " Sin " !
* * * My Typhoon H remote with a 7 inch screen use to last 3 to 4 times if not 5 times longer

The much needed certain wires are missing from the Newer Drone box.

Since this morning a number of times the Drone wanted to Roll back to 2.7.25 and after a few tries failed every time.
Right now its Upgrading back to 2.7.30 Beta version !
Autel should have provided a Dummy battery shell so we could have plugged in the charger for such BS and not drained the already Short Changed Battery ! !
Shame on you Autel, we seem to be your Field Lab.

Common sense says fix and finish your EVO 2 Pro before you spread yourself out with so many Half Complete Drones.
We needed a swappable optical Zoom Lens up to 6X

Get this great software here:
Microsoft ICE

The other day as usual I went up and took pictures and when I came back, found No pictures !
Be sure to double check your delicate Micro SD is properly seated.

Here is a great tutorial about Way point mission just that he failed to get a good sound quality along with it !
My both pictures were with 12 images stitched with ICE by Microsoft and above all totally free !

Just came back after flying, before leaving I was careful to make sure my 256 Gig Micro SD was seated yet when I took off it said NO Card so I opted for Onboard card and shot my Panoramic and when I got home indeed the micro SD was out and yet protected from falling out by the card slot door.
Now I can't have excess to my pictures even after trying two different USB A hooked to my laptop and the USB-C to the Drone and powered up, what am I doing wrong here as I need my pictures ASAP.

In the mean time Autel has not replied to my messages, they would not as they are far too busy expanding their product line and all unfinished products with Stupid common sense issues that they choose to ignore.
We are the field lab for Autel with absolutely no support from them.
The newer firmware 2.7.25 I down graded to on both my Autel EVO2 Pro from otherwise working far better with 2.7.30 too has flows, the video transmission stopped working and the screen froze turned BW, had to miss my shots and come down to re-boot the drone and remote as it happened a few times.

I out of desperation ordered yet another USB-A to USB-C 6 foot cable ( Proud owner of 5 useless cables and one more to try )
Please help !

PS, here is a picture as to how I protect my Micro SD card and door with a reinforced tape, you need to do the needful !
The last 3/8 of the tape on right of the picture I turned it back so it don't stick to the drone and I can gently pull to open the door.

Attachments

• ICE Nov 25th MAX_0386 Sat72 Light_14 Cont +18 Sharp 172-2 Sm.jpg
    ICE Nov 25th MAX_0386 Sat72 Light_14 Cont +18 Sharp 172-2 Sm.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • ICE Nov 25th sunrise MAX_0405_Sm.jpg
    ICE Nov 25th sunrise MAX_0405_Sm.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • DSC_6225 Sharp Sm.jpg
    DSC_6225 Sharp Sm.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Beta version 2.7.30 The Panorama stitching has flows and degrades the final image.
*-*-* Give us a choice, to stitch or not and proceed to the next Panorama without draining the already low battery ! !
**--** What's surprising is the same images when used in ICE come out good, Thanks to Microsoft for offering us such a wonderful but totally Free software and many choices.
The other PT Gui what a rip off. cost $149.99

All drone automated stitching software is a pretty big failure, Autel is no different, DJI's automated pano mode was terrible as well.

PTGui for me has paid for itself many thousands of times over, it will stitch nearly impossible to stich panos when nothing else can, and it saves me hours of work and potentially having to reshoot projects due to high winds or excessive drone movement, so $149 to me is a drop in the bucket. The latest version even fixes the Zenith which saves me even more time. Their stitching AI is second to none, and when even that can't figure it out, their manual control point options let me point the AI in the right direction so that it can do the rest. If all you need is a simple 3 or 7 shot pano and it was shot in good conditions with no wind then sure PTGui is overkill, but for commercial customers PTGui has no equal in my book.

You say PTGui at a one time cost of $149 is a ripoff then mention LightRoom in the same sentence....if you want to talk about the real ripoff here it's LR with its perpetual subscription model which in 5yrs will cost over $600.00. LR hasn't added a single new feature that I find useful in the last 10yrs yet it still costs $10/mo.

**--** The Remote control battery very often needs charging, why you committed this " Sin " !
* * * My Typhoon H remote with a 7 inch screen use to last 3 to 4 times if not 5 times longer

I don't know why you are blaming Autel because Android devices drain the RC's battery, if you want to fix that problem simply get the custom cable that blocks charging, or switch to an Apple tablet. My RC lasts 3 months and 13-14 flight batteries on a single charge when I use my iPad mini tablet. BTW, I have read that the same problem occurs for DJI RCs as well.

* * * * In Flight control Advanced settings, please lower the EXP to 0.06 at least to make the movements even gentler and smoother !
**--** I personally need my Flight Control, Sensitivity Yaw Movement lowered down to 04%
My Brake works great at 56% and Attitude set at 20%

Another option is to just fine tune your input, I've completed hundreds maybe even over 1,000 commercial jobs since 2014 with drones and have never had to change from the factory defaults for either DJI or Autel, if you finesse your technique on the sticks you can mentally adjust to that particular drone's characteristics, you can also shoot in 60FPS and slow it down by 50% later if you still aren't getting the speed you seek.

Last edited:
* * * * * Why can't I set the Drone speed to 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or any speed that suits my video needs, not just fixed 11 mph with Obstacle avoidance even in Panorama Mode and every other Mode too
As far as I know you can do that in "Precision Flight"-mode.

Here's another pano from last night. Four shots stitched in LR

View attachment 12430

Very nice, Panos are some of my favorite landscapes to shoot and it is unfortunate that they are way too underappreciated in this day and age where everyone just views it on a smartphone. I have never tried stitching a Pano in LR, it looks like it does a pretty good job as long as there's nothing complicated about it.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy