Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo 2 over Mavic 2 at CES

CactusJackSlade

Reaction score
I've been into drones since you had to build them from scratch and have been flying RC stuff for over 40 years. Currently own a slew of drones and do commercial work with DJI products...
With that said I'm going to get my wallet out for the new Evo 2, hands down it is the new Big Boy in a small package on the Block. After seeing the specs and seeing it fly at CES i am sold.

Anyway a few photos

20200107_144611.jpg20200109_113554.jpg20200107_145827.jpg

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Or wait to see what the Mavic 3 will deliver in the first quarter of 2021.

Last edited:
Reactions: MayorG
Mavic 2 is tech from 2018, so it's not fair to compare ir with the Evo 2. As for the Mavic 3, I doubt it will be released in the first half of 2020. Autel took DJI by surprise and they have to invest in R&D, test it and start production. All of this takes quite a while.

One of the videos Agustine posted, the guy said he could hardly hear it at CES.
Thanks.....that’s encouraging.... I’d still like to hear someone’s take on how loud it is in the wild. Whether I’m flying out of my backyard or out in the country, I sure like a low profile...

It will be cool if Autel make optional like DJI a controller with a 5 inch screen. I love the current controller with the 3inch but will love even more if they make one with bigger screen to see better.

Neighborhood watch is possible here. SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD FCC ID Applications (SS3)

Last time DJI released a product (Mavic Mini) it was 20-21 days between FCC submission and product launch event. DJI tends to ask FCC for confideality upon FCC submission by hiding product names, labels, manual, internal, external and test setup photos 90-180 days from FCC submission date. And allow to publish these only later, when secrecy time is expired.
See example: MT1SS51905 Mavic Mini Cover Letter Confidentiality Letter SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY

However some hints can be extracted from letters, asks, etc.

Interestingly on november 26 Autel made a decision to publish everything on EVO 2 (even things DJI likes to hide before launch for 90/180 days) apart from usual always secret parts like: block diagram, schematics, operation description.

I am taking a wait and see approach, although the EVO 2 looks like it's got it where it counts. Man, that's an ugly bird though. Yuck.

Judging by your profile photo, you own a P4P Obsidian. Those are also quite ugly and we all love them.
It's all subjective, but the Obsidian is a handsome bird. On a side note, just received a Skydio2 about a week ago. Now that is a handsome bird.

Or wait to see what the Mavic 3 will deliver in the first quarter of 2020.

Yeah it will be interesting, with the EVO to having 12 sensors and high-end FLIR capability, or a 1in sensor camera, the top of the pile is going to probably come down to price?!... Assuming DJI steps up their game and does similar.

It's all subjective, but the Obsidian is a handsome bird. On a side note, just received a Skydio2 about a week ago. Now that is a handsome bird.
Hi Old Blue,

I was curious why you wanted the Skydio 2, was it for professional photo taking or for it's flight abilities/selfies?

Thanks,

Dana

Hi Old Blue,

I was curious why you wanted the Skydio 2, was it for professional photo taking or for it's flight abilities/selfies?

Thanks,

Dana
Hi Dana,

I think my first interest in the Skydio was the sheer amount of new tech packed into this drone. It was unlike anything I had in the fleet. So initially, curiosity. With that being said, I have actually come to adore the camera.

Last edited:
Thanks. You feel the camera is that good? I have a Mavic Pro Platinum now, and a deposit on a Skydio 2.

But now the Evo 2 is coming out and I like the option to have a FLIR camera. Or go with another DJI.
?

Thanks. You feel the camera is that good? I have a Mavic Pro Platinum now, and a deposit on a Skydio 2.

But now the Evo 2 is coming out and I like the option to have a FLIR camera. Or go with another DJI.
?

I really like the camera. It's provided some really nice shots right out of the box. The drone provides interesting new challenges because it's not anything like other drones. It wants to fly itself, which can make getting the perfect shot kind of challenging. I can appreciate that though. I imagine the Evo 2 is going to be a great drone. Having the option to change cameras is pretty awesome. What batch are you in for the Skydio? If I were in batch 3, I would cancel. Life is short, and this hobby may be on life support.

?
I saw a video about the Evo 2 going thru tough environments with trees or metal around and did a fantastic job just like the Skydio 2. Of course I do not believe in that video, it was from Autel. I need to see a real life of someone testing this capability to see it is a true Skydio 2 competitor.

The Mavic 2 Pro also has a 1 "sensor and does the job very well. I hardly need to do any color corrections for the film. And in the last year and a half I have had it, never any NFZ blockages only some warnings that do not prevent theft.
Ditto for the Inspire that I had for five years on more than 265 flights.
If there is blockage, it is because the place is really prohibited as much as the law of your country prohibits to fly there.
There are no mysteries.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials