Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO 2 Live Deck transmission quality.

Ltp_90

Reaction score
SO I just recently bought a Live Deck, and today was the first day I could test it out.
I flew the drone out a considerable distance, but not any more than usual. I noticed a remarkable drop in image quality both on the TV and the phone/controller. I flew back to a reasonable distance, and the quality never returned even with the drone right near me. I turned off the live deck and the issue went away, and I was able to fly double the distance away with no image drop at all.

Has anyone else had this issue? This defeats the purpose of why I bought the LIve deck. I wanted to be able to show clients the video without them over my shoulder, but if I lose image quality while I'm flying, that isn't going to work.

when you fly out to the same distance without the livedeck, do you get excellent video on your controller?

if you get bad quality when both are connected and you disconnect the live deck, does quality improve?

Yes, I flew in an area I fly routinely from my house, and I have had no signal issues there in the past..

Yes once I disconnected live deck the quality improved and returned to what the quality has always been, flew to the same location and 0 issues with quality with the transmission, all in the same flight.

I haven't used my live deck in awhile but I didn't notice any signal degradation. however, I am using an alientech. I will have to check once I get my smart controller. in the meantime, others may be able to help.

I have not had this issue with live deck. However ive just built my livedeck into a ground station and will be testing tomorrow so ill double check this again and confirm definitely if this is an issue or not

I suspect the Live Deck antennas are more directional than the controllers. When having reception issues try adjusting the position of the antennas/unit to see if that improves the situation. I don't have a lot of experience yet with my Live Deck yet but have successfully used it out to my max line of sight distance.

I suspect the Live Deck antennas are more directional than the controllers. When having reception issues try adjusting the position of the antennas/unit to see if that improves the situation. I don't have a lot of experience yet with my Live Deck yet but have successfully used it out to my max line of sight distance. the Live Deck antennas are regular omni (360deg) directional 3dbi gain, I have 3 sets of antennas for my Live Deck FPV ground station set up.
The Live Deck antennas are Omni Directional (360deg) and I believe in the 3dbi range and you still need to operate the Live Deck like the controller, as a LOS (line of sight) receiver. As the Live Deck is typically used sitting on a table or back of a vehicle ) 3 - 4' off the ground and stationary then it is very easy to get the signal blocked when the aircraft is only a short distance away from the receiver. I have tried 3 different antennas with the Live Deck 3, 6 and 9 dbi. I have attached a picture showing the effects of increasing antenna dbi has on reception for both vertical and horizontal directions.

Note
My tests were not scientific, just using my limited knowledge of antennas

I recently was in TX doing some pig hunting and testing my new 640T sensor using my ground station (with the Live Deck sitting on the table) with the out buildings and vegetation within 50 yards and the aircraft operating a 200'. The 3bdi antennas started losing signal when the aircraft was only 1500' away (no fault of the Live Deck). I attached a pair of 9dbi antennas and raised the Live Deck to 6' and the reception was clear to over 5000'. When I got back home I put together a inexpensive (around $50) collapsible/portable antenna mast to address the Live Deck reception problem. Have tested locally and it works great. I will test it in TX on my next pig hunt in October. As built the antennas are now over 8' above the ground. I also have a spot between the antennas for a strobe light during night operations (easy to locate home base).

Build pictures attached,

Parts:
- 10' 1" id sch 40 PVC pipe (cut into 4 2' sections)
- 3 couplers for the pipe listed above
- 1 end cap for the pipe listed above
- 2ea 16' SMA antenna cable (with adapters) - Amazon.com: Superbat RF coaxial SMA Male to SMA Female Bulkhead RG174 15ft Cable + 3pcs RF Coax SMA Adapter Kit for SDR Equipment Antenna Ham Radio,3G 4G LTE Antenna,ADS-B,GPS and etc: Industrial & Scientific
- 25' 1/4 wire shielding (to make the cables manageable) - www.amazon.com/PET-Braided-Cable-Sleeve-25ft/dp/B081L71DJS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=25FT-1%2F4"%2BBlack&Red%2BCable%2BManagement%2BCord%2BProtector%2BBraided&qid=1625454401&s=electronics&sr=1-1&th=1
- Collapsible umbrella stand - Amazon.com: GKanMore Artificial Christmas Tree Base Stand Umbrella Base Stand Foldable Metal Base Stand Holder for Artificial Xmas Tree Outdoor Patio Beach Umbrella, White: Home & Kitchen
- Something non-metallic for the antenna base
- Antenna of choice.

Optional antenna mast case (very nice case and works perfectly with the build listed above) - Amazon.com : Hemmotop Tripod Carrying Case Bag 31x7x7in/80x18x18cm Heavy Duty with Storage Bag and Shoulder Strap Padded Carrying Bag for Light Stands, Boom Stand, Speaker Stands, Mic Stands and Tripod : Camera & Photo

Attachments

• DBI-Antenas.png
    DBI-Antenas.png
    25 KB · Views: 31
  • thumbnail_20210425_085936.jpg
    thumbnail_20210425_085936.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 29
  • thumbnail_20210425_090102.jpg
    thumbnail_20210425_090102.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 24
  • thumbnail_20210425_090114.jpg
    thumbnail_20210425_090114.jpg